NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2016, 02:32 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Next time I see you guys playing checkers outside the Cracker Barrel make sure to say hi.
You will probably miss us because we get up before noon. JK
Old 04-14-2016, 02:38 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Yeah right. I guess that goes for television shows and movies too right? Why even get to know a person on a human level when you can just check their playlist and DVR?
Do you realize that you've edited 8 of your last 10 posts in this thread? Just go back and look.

How about editing your posts to include your full name as per the rules?
Old 04-14-2016, 02:40 PM

I like to get my grammar and spelling right. I'm also not insulting anyone, posting anything political, making negative comments about a company or service and this isn't what I'd consider to be a heated debate. We're talking about walk up music.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's sad that anyone is writing, producing, or listening to this vile misogynistic trash, or are you telling me it's all tongue in cheek or something?

All my bitches the pick of the litter indeed.
Please tell me they don't allow what you wrote for that "song" to be played publicly somewhere? Whomever authorizes that should be out of a job immediately. It's just wrong on so many levels.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Do you realize that you've edited 8 of your last 10 posts in this thread? Just go back and look.

How about editing your posts to include your full name as per the rules?
Yes, Packs (hi Packs) will need a full name by posts to continue any heated debate, as well as anyone else getting into one....same rules for everyone.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
You will probably miss us because we get up before noon. JK
Burn.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Burn.
Ignorance is bliss. Everyone knows old people can't sleep.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:59 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Ignorance is bliss. Everyone knows old people can't sleep.
Their backs hurt too much and their prostates do too!!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
Their backs hurt too much and their prostates do too!!
Way more than that.....just about everything starts hurting . Just wait, you'll see. It's not "if" but "when".

Last edited by Leon; 04-14-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added "just about"
Old 04-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Way more than that.....just about everything starts hurting . Just wait, you'll see. It's not "if" but "when".
So far, going with replacement parts is good for me...so far...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-14-2016, 05:22 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
As I typed that I was in my Chiropractor's office and am on a first name basis with my Urologist. I'm an old soul with an old body! Lol
Old 04-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Well, my two cents.

Bryce Harper is skilled, but a loser on so many levels. You can't not know that. I'm waiting for him to grow up and mature. But it is painful to watch and listen to.

Walk up music is simply ridiculous. When I heard Chipper Jones walk up, I lost a lot of respect for him. Not that it matters to him. I can't go further into it, due to forum rules. But I think enough said there.

The music you listen to, the movies you watch, the places you go all point to who you are. That simple. It is the sum of how you live your life.

Finally, music is defined by the music, not the lyrics. But lyrics are constructed to fit the genre. Rap lyrics would never work in country music and vice-versa. Just my take on this discussion.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Can someone give me an example of a walk up song they were appalled with that wasn't but a black rapper? Are any of the people on this board aware of with the misogyny in some Steely Dan songs? Just wondering. Or in some country songs.

I could give you 50 classic rock songs that you've been listening to your whole life with terrible lyrics that you wouldn't bat an eye at if it wasn't sung by Ice T or Ice Cube.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Can someone give me an example of a walk up song they were appalled with that wasn't but a black rapper? Are any of the people on this board aware of with the misogyny in some Steely Dan songs? Just wondering. Or in some country songs.

I could give you 50 classic rock songs that you've been listening to your whole life with terrible lyrics that you wouldn't bat an eye at if it wasn't sung by Ice T or Ice Cube.
Sorry Steely Dan never portrayed women in anywhere near the vulgar terms that are fashionable today in some rap lyrics. And if you are suggesting that it is somehow racist hypocrisy to object to some of the rap lyrics, well, we disagree.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Steven Finley

Spiraling quickly.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Rolling Stines misogyny? Would you like a few examples.

The Police?

John Lennon?

Jimi Hendrix?

I could give you a Gilbert O Sullivan song that you wouldn't believe in the misogyny scale. Still played on the radio today.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Mac Wubben

Only sort of on topic...watched Bryce hit his 100 tonight. The grand slam bounced off the facing and landed less than 5 feet from me. I can see why Bryce rubs people the wrong way...but I like hearing what he has to say (even if I don't always agree)...and really do love watching him play.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

You want to compare A Woman's Place with lyrics about bitches and hoes? OK.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Sorry Steely Dan never portrayed women in anywhere near the vulgar terms that are fashionable today in some rap lyrics. And if you are suggesting that it is somehow racist hypocrisy to object to some of the rap lyrics, well, we disagree.

...or, as one of Jim Carrey's alter-egos once famously said, 'Would it kill you to play a little Foghat?'

(Now, that's some walkup music!!)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-14-2016, 08:28 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Rolling Stines misogyny? Would you like a few examples.

The Police?

John Lennon?

Jimi Hendrix?

I could give you a Gilbert O Sullivan song that you wouldn't believe in the misogyny scale. Still played on the radio today.
The discussion is about the lyrics of a particular song, not about a musician/group. You can like a musician/group, but not like one of his/their songs and you can like a song without liking the artist. And I understand what you are saying. There are certain songs that come on the radio that I object to the lyrics but like the musician, but I still change the station anyway. If you have no objection to the song in question, pull it up on Youtube and sit down with your kid(s) and listen to it as a family. Ask them what they think about it. No kids? Listen to it with your parents and ask them what they think about it. Let us know how it goes. And you slso need to read post #155 in this thread. If you want to continue the discussion, your full name really needs to be in your post.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
"You're a bad dog, baby, but I still want you 'round." Haven't thought about that song in years .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5933193289_9a1d5458d2_b.jpg (75.0 KB, 310 views)
Old 04-14-2016, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

I thought he meant A Woman's Place.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I thought he meant A Woman's Place.
Oops, my bad. I'm not even familiar with "A Woman's Place", I looked it up and it only reached #42 in the UK in 1974 and didn't chart at all in the US. I just figured he meant "Get Down", which was his last big hit in 1973, is certainly misogynist, and is occasionally played on oldie stations.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Oops, my bad. I'm not even familiar with "A Woman's Place", I looked it up and it only reached #42 in the UK in 1974 and didn't chart at all in the US. I just figured he meant "Get Down", which was his last big hit in 1973, is certainly misogynist, and is occasionally played on oldie stations.
You could well be right that that's the one he had in mind. In any event, again, it seems a long way from that song to some of the rap gems.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
You could well be right that that's the one he had in mind. In any event, again, it seems a long way from that song to some of the rap gems.
When I read those lyrics you posted it absolutely validated my disgust for MLB and the fact I haven't liked it since the strike in '94.
So glad I am on the other side of the fence. And MLB actually thinks regular folks want to PAY to hear that kind of crap? I think it should almost be a crime to play it, seriously. And if I had kids there is no way in heck I would bring them to a game to hear that kind of "Music". Totally disguisting to me.

Edited to add, the lyrics were almost edited out of this thread.....but reality is, they already gets played at games. I really can't believe they allow it.

Last edited by Leon; 04-15-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:09 AM
David $tephens

Quote:
When I read those lyrics you posted it absolutely validated my disguist for MLB and the fact I haven't liked it since the strike in '94.
So glad I am on the other side of the fence. And MLB actually thinks regular folks want to PAY to hear that kind of crap? I think it should almost be a crime to play it, seriously. And if I had kids there is no way in heck I would bring them to a game to hear that kind of "Music". Totally disguisting to me.

Edited to add, the lyrics were almost edited out of this thread.....but reality is, they already gets played at games. I really can't believe they allow it.
I do have kids and It makes me nervous about taking them to the Ballpark in Arlington this summer if that's the kind of stuff they play.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
When I read those lyrics you posted it absolutely validated my disguist for MLB and the fact I haven't liked it since the strike in '94.

Next thing you know they'll start playing Steely Dan.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

The whole idea of walkup music is stupid IMO. Can't the Facebook/iphone/video game generation tolerate 10 seconds without input? I see these young people walking around or sitting at tables unable to take their eyes off the screen and just wonder what the cumulative effect is going to be.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Next thing you know they'll start playing Steely Dan.
My favorite Youtube tunes while I am on the internet are 60s-70s rock and roll, none of them have lyrics like the ones posted. If they did I wouldn't listen to them. I actually think those lyrics posted are harmful to society too. But again, all of these are just (my) opinions. Others may love that crap and I respect their right to like antyhing they want to, as long as it doesn't hurt others. However, I think those kind of lyrics ARE IN FACT harmful and should be done away with. If a player doesn't like it, who cares? They can go flip burgers or something.....
Old 04-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
My favorite Youtube tunes while I am on the internet are 60s-70s rock and roll, none of them have lyrics like the ones posted. If they did I wouldn't listen to them.
Well now I've seen plenty of players walk up to "Walk This Way" (ok, maybe not recently, but 20 years ago), which has the filthiest lyrics that no one's ever paid attention to. The first verse of the song is about a kid masturbating because he can't get laid, until his Dad tells him to go "down on a muffin." Then he finds a girl who is a "real young bleeder," and they commence to getting it on.

Different generation, different words, still explicit.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Calling someone a little girl in the context of the 60s is not the same, to me, as calling someone a bitch or ho today when it is universally understood that such terms are degrading. It's intentional.

We can be PC and cool and say oh it's all relative and it's just the times etc. but I strongly disagree.
The offending lyric isn't the "little girl" part.

"I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man...catch you with another man, that's the end. ...I mean everything I've said. Baby, I'm determined and I'd rather see you dead."

Let's see that get played in an NFL stadium today.

Last edited by Bliggity; 04-15-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
The offending lyric isn't the "little girl" part.

"I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man."

Let's see that get played in an NFL stadium today.
It's an honest lyric about jealousy, it's not degrading women in general.

It came from an Elvis song, no?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The difference is my 8 yr old won't understand the inferences in the Aerosmith song but will hear that vulgar and nauseating crap being played today. One is very explicit and one isn't. Big difference to me but we can certainly agree to disagree. There is no harm in that. I guess I would be a very poor MLB commissioner because I guarantee that vulgarity wouldn't be spewed over my loudspeakers. Yeap, different times no doubt. I need to head to the hills and be by myself (with my dogs) if that is what we are coming to . To me it's just wrong.

Quote:
Well now I've seen plenty of players walk up to "Walk This Way" (ok, maybe not recently, but 20 years ago), which has the filthiest lyrics that no one's ever paid attention to. The first verse of the song is about a kid masturbating because he can't get laid, until his Dad tells him to go "down on a muffin." Then he finds a girl who is a "real young bleeder," and they commence to getting it on.

Different generation, different words, still explicit.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
I guess I would be a very poor MLB commissioner because I guarantee that vulgarity wouldn't be spewed over my loudspeakers.
I don't think I've seen this in the thread before, but forgive me if I'm wrong. Do we have any indication that any of the explicit lyrics were actually played over the PA? Usually the walkup is about 10 seconds, and you don't even get to the words. I'd imagine the Nats/Yankees/whoever would just play 10 seconds of the song without any offensive lyrics.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogy...ip_hop_culture
Old 04-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think Peter just posted something about this as I didn't know but was only going by the post. That being said, I would defend the right of folks to listen to that music on their own but I don't believe it is suitable for children. And if any oldie song, which I like, has vulgar lyrics I wouldn't play it either. This isn't about what is new or what is old, this is about morals and what I want my kids to grow up around. I wish I had had it beaten into me as a kid but I didn't.
I understand children will be exposed to everything and all of the time because of the internet. But when at the ballpark maybe we could cut them some slack and make it a wholesome thing again? I would vote for it and maybe even be interested again. I completely understand I could be in the minority on my position and that is ok too. All is well and to each their own...

edited to add, it looks as though that article posted didn't answer the question. If those lyrics are not played at MLB then I will do my best Gilda Radner and go with.....Never Mind

Quote:
I don't think I've seen this in the thread before, but forgive me if I'm wrong. Do we have any indication that any of the explicit lyrics were actually played over the PA? Usually the walkup is about 10 seconds, and you don't even get to the words. I'd imagine the Nats/Yankees/whoever would just play 10 seconds of the song without any offensive lyrics.

Last edited by Leon; 04-15-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:47 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
The whole idea of walkup music is stupid IMO. Can't the Facebook/iphone/video game generation tolerate 10 seconds without input? I see these young people walking around or sitting at tables unable to take their eyes off the screen and just wonder what the cumulative effect is going to be.
Maybe it's to try and psych the opponent out? Maybe to amp up the batter going to the plate?

Pretty sure Mariano Rivera used "Enter Sandman" no I'm no Metallica fan but I do know that "some" people would find their music to be intimidating. Mo's job was to put the batters to sleep
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
I think Peter just posted something about this as I didn't know but was only going by the post. That being said, I would defend the right of folks to listen to that music on their own but I don't believe it is suitable for children. And if any oldie song, which I like, has vulgar lyrics I wouldn't play it either. This isn't about what is new or what is old, this is about morals and what I want my kids to grow up around. I wish I had had it beaten into me as a kid but I didn't.
I understand children will be exposed to everything and all of the time because of the internet. But when at the ballpark maybe we could cut them some slack and make it a wholesome thing again? I would vote for it and maybe even be interested again. I completely understand I could be in the minority on my position and that is ok too. All is well and to each their own...

edited to add, it looks as though that article posted didn't answer the question. If those lyrics are not played at MLB then I will do my best Gilda Radner and go with.....Never Mind
Well I don't disagree with you about not wanting those lyrics blared over the PA. I just can't imagine that the Yankees would actually play "Fuck my enemies, fuck my foes" over the PA as Jeter steps up. Same with Harper. Yeah, Harper picked a crude song, and people who are familiar with the song would see the crudeness (and humor?) in it. But a kid at the ballpark who hears a few seconds of music without the offending lyrics included isn't going to notice anything or make that connection. So for me, unless we somehow know that the actual lyrics were played during the 10-second walkup, this seems like a nonissue.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well I don't disagree with you about not wanting those lyrics blared over the PA. I just can't imagine that the Yankees would actually play "Fuck my enemies, fuck my foes" over the PA as Jeter steps up. Same with Harper. Yeah, Harper picked a crude song, and people who are familiar with the song would see the crudeness (and humor?) in it. But a kid at the ballpark who hears a few seconds of music without the offending lyrics included isn't going to notice anything or make that connection. So for me, unless we somehow know that the actual lyrics were played during the 10-second walkup, this seems like a nonissue.
And when the kid who worships Harper finds out what song it is and goes home and googles it?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
Maybe it's to try and psych the opponent out? Maybe to amp up the batter going to the plate?

Pretty sure Mariano Rivera used "Enter Sandman" no I'm no Metallica fan but I do know that "some" people would find their music to be intimidating. Mo's job was to put the batters to sleep
I find the game itself sufficiently entertaining that all the music, orgasmic scoreboards, etc. are a stupid distraction. I get that the video game generation is different.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:

Leon -and others-, I find it safe it assume that the Ballpark (and the Nationals) don't allow parts of the song/s with questionable or offensive lyrics to be played in front of thousands of people. I could be wrong (haven't been to a home Nats game since 2010), but rational expectation leads me to believe that. My 4 year old son received the newest Chipmunks movie for Easter. I came home from last week to find him and my wife singing Sir Mixalot while sitting the table as evidently three talking squirrels sing it in the movie. I didn't go back and watch the film to make sure no questionable lyrics for kids were mentioned because A) the previous Chipmunk films I watched were god awful and B) I have a reasonable expectation that 20th Century Fox didn't include "Alot of pimps won't like this song 'cause them punks lie to hit it and quit it, But I'd rather stay and play 'cause I'm long and I'm strong, And I'm down to get the friction on" in a children's movie about talking squirrels that somehow grossed a quarter of a billion dollars. I would find it safe assume that 85% of people who will hear or heard the portion played before Harper's at-bat have no idea what the song is or what it is about. The other 15% probably have it on their iphone. You could argue that your kid might google it because he heard at the ballpark, but in that case your son/daughter knows how search the web and there is an entire universe of information and content they are likely already filtering through. Less disagreeably, if you haven't been a fan of the game since 94' I implore you to come back. The league currently has the greatest influx of young talent in a half a century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post

The music you listen to, the movies you watch, the places you go all point to who you are. That simple. It is the sum of how you live your life.

I've had two careers in two vastly different industries. I previously worked for a University and I currently run a restaurant. I enjoyed my time in education and other than I was offered more money to switch I'd likely still be there. I'll say this though, the people I have a pleasure to work with now are some of the greatest collection of human beings on the planet. The music you listen to, the movies you watch, and the places you go do not define you. How you live your life in treating those both stranger and kin define who you are. I don't consider my age (32) "old" but there is clearly a generation gap between me and the majority of my employees (18-23). They listen to music I find absurd, watch movies I'll likely never view, snapchat incessantly, and everyday there is a new word to describe how cool or uncool something is. Those that aren't in the college age demographic often have had a personal issue or two. You don't set out to be a middle aged line cook or waiter, although some of them make great money. Out of my 45 employees there might be five who under this absurd definition of character would qualify as upstanding or however we're judging people by their media consumed, language used, clothing worn, or places attended. What they do, however, is work hard for long hours with a smile and high five at the end of day and night. Some of them work 50-55 hours a week, raise kids, and go to school. When a fellow employee lost everything in a fire they raised and contributed enough time and money to immediately house the family, put clothes on their back, and replace the kids' favorite toys and electronics even though for most it was needed or could be used in their own household. Yet, when the doors are locked and last customer leaves they play their own music which often includes lyrics similar to what has been copied and pasted here - and I'll take them over many of the more "professional" peers I've interacted with in my lifetime.

Steven Finley
Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Bravo, all of that.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Default Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but

When I was a senior in high school, for the school's airband competition, the sophomore class's theme was England, so their songs were all from British bands, including One Direction. They wanted to include Live While We're Young, which the principal objected to because one of the lines is

Hey girl it’s now or never, it’s now or never
Don't over-think just let it go
And if we get together, yeah, get together
Don’t let the pictures leave your phone

In the end, what happened is kind of what Bliggity described. They used part of the refrain of the song, not the part I quoted above. The lines that made the final cut were:

Hey girl I’m waiting on ya, I’m waiting on ya
Come on and let me sneak you out
And have a celebration, a celebration
The music up, the windows down
(...)
Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy ’til we see the sun
I know we only met but let’s pretend it’s love
And never, never, never stop for anyone
Tonight let’s get some and live while we’re young

Still suggestive, but in the same way that I Want To Hold Your Hand is (Paul didn't just want to hold her hand). If it's the same way with walk up music, where the explicit parts aren't played, I wouldn't have an issue with it.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree....if the explicit parts are taken out, not near as bad. I don't find these lyrics as offensive as the others. They aren't as explicit and leave it to the imagination. Children shouldn't know about a lot of those things so they have nothing to imagine ...I know they do BUT They have plenty of places and times to learn them, at the ballpark watching baseball doesn't need to be one of them. End of rant.....back to the cards for me, which I enjoy very much.

BTW, I love the game of baseball and am about to start playing softball again after a slight injury (old age).

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
When I was a senior in high school, for the school's airband competition, the sophomore class's theme was England, so their songs were all from British bands, including One Direction. They wanted to include Live While We're Young, which the principal objected to because one of the lines is

Hey girl it’s now or never, it’s now or never
Don't over-think just let it go
And if we get together, yeah, get together
Don’t let the pictures leave your phone

In the end, what happened is kind of what Bliggity described. They used part of the refrain of the song, not the part I quoted above. The lines that made the final cut were:

Hey girl I’m waiting on ya, I’m waiting on ya
Come on and let me sneak you out
And have a celebration, a celebration
The music up, the windows down
(...)
Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy ’til we see the sun
I know we only met but let’s pretend it’s love
And never, never, never stop for anyone
Tonight let’s get some and live while we’re young

Still suggestive, but in the same way that I Want To Hold Your Hand is (Paul didn't just want to hold her hand). If it's the same way with walk up music, where the explicit parts aren't played, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Last edited by Leon; 04-15-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Lyrics bleeped out or not, I still agree with Peter here.

Quote:
And when the kid who worships Harper finds out what song it is and goes home and googles it?
Edited to add: When I was a kid, I did exactly that so I am speaking from experience. Google wasn't around back then, but there were still other sources from which I could copy lyrics. One of the songs I copied down was Quiet Riot's "Cum on Feel the Noize". I didn't even know what that meant at the time, but my mom found the lyrics I had copied down and had a cow.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 04-15-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:11 AM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Lyrics bleeped out or not, I still agree with Peter here.

Edited to add: When I was a kid, I did exactly that so I am speaking from experience. Google wasn't around back then, but there were still other sources from which I could copy lyrics. One of the songs I copied down was Quiet Riot's "Cum on Feel the Noize". I didn't even know what that meant at the time, but my mom found the lyrics I had copied down and had a cow.
Heard it on the way to work with my two older boys ages 9 and 4. That was scandalous stuff as a kid. Still uneasy with it with my kids in the car.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Bill Gregory

Whatever his walk up song, it's working. The guy is on a monster tear right now.

His last six games:

.421 AVG (9 for 21), 6 runs scored, 5 home runs (2 grand slams), 15 RBI, 2 BB, 3 K. His slash line is .440/1.143/1.583.

The Bowman Chrome auto that I've got of his is going for $1,200 on Ebay. That's insane.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

I just looked, it seems there are something like 358 different versions of his rookie card. And that's without counting 4 years of pre-rookies.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-20-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Bill T.

Harper as the face of baseball? How about a bracket challenge here.

Harper, or a racist psychopath?
Harper, or a drunkard?
Harper, or an antisocial workaholic?
Harper, or a greenie-popping drunkard?
I'm sure we could go on.

Even if you think Harper is an egotistical jerk who hasn't earned the right to talk, he's entertaining. And no matter what else it is, baseball as a business is all about entertainment.

Oh, and two slams in one week? I was out with friends last night, and it seemed like every time I looked up the Nats were at bat. The Marlins must have been up during the commercial breaks. Anyway, I'd stop my conversation to watch Harper bat. Now that's Must-See TV.

Bill
Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Train wrecks are always attendance-getters. No doubt he has a lot of talent, so does Josh Hamilton too though. And personally, I think he (Josh) acts like an idiot. And anyone who has that crap kind of song, simlar to the one posted, for a walk up song is acting like an idiot.
And you are right, it is 100% about business. I couldn't agree more. And that is sort of unfortunate to me. I know these are "a changing times".....sigh

I would rather surf the net or play with my dogs than pay enormous amounts of money to support people like that. I know I am in the minority and that's ok too. We should all do what makes us happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post
Harper as the face of baseball? How about a bracket challenge here.

Harper, or a racist psychopath?
Harper, or a drunkard?
Harper, or an antisocial workaholic?
Harper, or a greenie-popping drunkard?
I'm sure we could go on.

Even if you think Harper is an egotistical jerk who hasn't earned the right to talk, he's entertaining. And no matter what else it is, baseball as a business is all about entertainment.

Oh, and two slams in one week? I was out with friends last night, and it seemed like every time I looked up the Nats were at bat. The Marlins must have been up during the commercial breaks. Anyway, I'd stop my conversation to watch Harper bat. Now that's Must-See TV.

Bill

Last edited by Leon; 04-21-2016 at 08:59 AM.