NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Bill Boyd

Default Beginning of softball

Hi all,
Today, I picked up a few interesting items. Being an old softball player, I am sure as many of us were, I researched this old oversized softball and found the oversized softball interesting. In this article I found it pictures this same ball. Please check out the first pic of that oversized softball. It came in an Winchester box marked "official indoor ball".

http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...l-in-softball/

IMG_3122.jpg
IMG_3098.jpg

Researching a little further, the article stated they used to use shorter bats to prevent the ball from going too far. I did happen to pick up two bats along with this softball, and neither have any markings on them, anywhere, including the knob. But they did seem to match the era of this ball. The top bat, the longer of the two, measures 33" Length, 4" around at grip area, and about 6 1/2" around at sweet spot. The second is much fatter, but shorter. It measures 30" in Length, 5" at grip and 7 1/2" around at sweet spot. As you can see, it appears as if the second bat was sawed off on the end.

IMG_3101.jpg
IMG_3100.jpg

My question is, the ball appears to be one of the early indoor balls used, but can we say these bats may have been used for indoor softball?
I am not an expert in judging an era for bats without the logos, so I need some help. So from one old softball player to another, can you help ID the approx year of these bats? These items were purchased from the same owner.

In addition, I purchased several other older items, one was a 1930s/40s, Western catchers Mitt, Frank Hayes model. The glove number I cannot read entirely but ends in 354. A 50s style Sonnett glove, #I4F, Enos Slaughter model. A few other older soft balls and hardballs, but cannot read anything on the balls. But I am more interested in pictured items I posted. Thank you all.

Bill
Old 08-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Joe

Hi Bill. nice pickups. The ball appears to be about c.1930 - a little further research could probably confirm that based on that Winchester box design.

Those early multi-color stitched softballs are not in great demand as a collectible, but I find them to be cool display items, and have a few (pics below).

It is hard to tell from your pics much about the bats. Can you post a full picture of the bats?

The feature that most defines an early indoor baseball bat is that they were much thinner than a regular bat, designed to have a smaller batting surface. I've typically seen them around 32". There were a lot of bats designed for recreational, playground, youth, or indoor use, so it may be hard to ever confirm if your bats were necessarily intended for indoor rules use.

IMG_3607.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 08-06-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Bill Boyd

Thanks Joe,
I was suspicious that it was later then 1900s softball because of the stitching. So now for the bats. Lighting is not too good down here in my mancave, so I won't be able to get a good natural light photo of them until tomorrow, but here is what I have. On the left I placed a 1940s H & B Leader bat only to give you all a normal bat to compare the others to.

IMG_3136.jpg