NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Do these exhibits exist?

Hi All:

Don't have the 2012 version, but my 2011 SCD Standard Catalog lists these 47-66 Exhibit cards as coming with and without AN EXHIBIT CARD in the lower left corner. Or has it been corrected in newer issues?

Can anyone confirm th3e below card without AN EXHIBIT CARD?

Appling, Bearden, Dillinger or Keller.

I could see how they could mess up on Appling and Keller being that they are in the Salutations albeit different poses, but not the other two.

While we are at it, does anyone have the 63 Stat back card of Aparicio with out the traded line? It was rumored years ago, but I never got the difinitive word.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Come on Scott, Adam, Tom, Bob and the rest of you Exhibit collectors!!

Someone must know something about this. Take a look at your cards and make a comment/reply.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:49 AM
John Manning

Default Appling, Keller

I have three Applings (2 with MUSA LL) and three Kellers (again, 2 with MUSA LL). NONE of these shows "AN EXHIBIT CARD."

I don't have either Bearden or Dillenger. Hope somebody with a bigger collection will chime in. I'm curious myself.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Tom Boblitt

I'm about three weeks behind in answering ANYTHING lately (as those 3-4 emails from you languish in my inbox)........I'll look tomorrow (Saturday) as I have a 2 hour period to finally catch up on some stuff..........and get back to you on all counts........
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Ok just looked thru my 800 or so, ouch-

4 Bearden - all with "An Exhibit Card" Left and "Made in USA" right

2 Keller - both with "An Exhibit Card" Left and "Made in USA" right

2 Appling - both with "An Exhibit Card" Left and "Made in USA" right

Cant find my Dillinger, have to keep looking for that one
Old 10-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
I'm about three weeks behind in answering ANYTHING lately (as those 3-4 emails from you languish in my inbox)........I'll look tomorrow (Saturday) as I have a 2 hour period to finally catch up on some stuff..........and get back to you on all counts........
Thanks Tom. Look forward to hearing from you, both with this post and my emails.

Fred
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Ok just looked thru my 800 or so, ouch-

4 Bearden - all with "An Exhibit Card" Left and "Made in USA" right

2 Keller - both with "An Exhibit Card" Left and "Made in USA" right

2 Appling - both with "An Exhibit Card" Left and "Made in USA" right

Cant find my Dillinger, have to keep looking for that one
Thanks Scott or looking through all your cards. LMK what you find out on the Dillinger.

Think we can agree the SCD catalog is incorrect?

Fred
Old 07-02-2021, 09:38 AM
M@rk K3mm3rl3

Default Do these Exhibits exist?

Attempting to resurrect this thread. Fred (whiteymet) and l have been talking about these cards recently and have expanded the list a bit.
Fred thinks they appeared in error in the Standard Card Catalog prior to the 2012 edition (and I'm not sure whether they still appear in later editions of the Catalog).

The last time around the forum seemed to agree that none of these four cards exists without the "An Exhibit Card" legend:

Appling
Bearden
Dillinger
Keller

Working on this set, I found two more that are questionable:

Branca
Doerr

Does anyone have either of these without the "An Exhibit Card" legend?

There are also a couple of others that I've come across on checklists, but not seen in person (or in pictures)

Doby "Printed in USA" with the "An Exhibit Card" legend

It seems unlikely that the "Printed in USA" ever carries the "An Exhibit Card" legend, as it's a later issue, and ESCO had already scratched it out on the plate in the later "Made in USA" versions. Anyone?

Rizzuto

Rizzuto is also listed this way (with and without the AEC), but the "without" version seems to be the "small image" Rizzuto -- same card but with different descriptors. Thoughts?

Berra Printed in USA

The Berra "Printed in USA" is also listed as with and without the AEC, but this one is opposite. No one seems to have a PIU Berra with the AEC legend. I suspect that only the Made in USA Berra exists with the AEC legend.

Vern Stephens (Browns, batting) without Made in USA

Fred thought this card (and the Branca) appear on my list of unresolved because of cropped photos in for-sale offerings that chopped off the bottom of card, hence, no Made in USA. Does anyone have the Stephens Browns card with no legend at the bottom?

Just for completeness, there are other cards listed as existing “with and without” AEC, and I have both versions of these:

Willard Marshall
Bobby Thomson
"Ritchie" Ashburn
Stanky throwing

Last edited by metroac; 07-02-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: clarity, inaccuracy in original post
Old 07-02-2021, 11:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroac View Post
Doby Made in USA with the "An Exhibit Card" legend

It seems likely that only the "Printed in USA" Doby carries the "An Exhibit Card" legend, and I've seen those, but never a "Made in USA" with the AEC legend. Anyone?
I have:

Printed In USA no An Exhibit Card
MADE IN USA with An Exhibit Card
MADE IN USA scratched out An Exhibit Card

Rizzuto-wise, I have AEC and scratched out AEC in the larger image and no AEC in the smaller image.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Jay Shumsky

I have Doerr without the "An Exhibit Card" shown
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhibit Doerr - no AEC.jpg (83.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 07-02-2021, 04:58 PM
M@rk K3mm3rl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I have:

Printed In USA no An Exhibit Card
MADE IN USA with An Exhibit Card
MADE IN USA scratched out An Exhibit Card

Rizzuto-wise, I have AEC and scratched out AEC in the larger image and no AEC in the smaller image.
Thanks, Adam. I had things backwards in my original question [now corrected] about the Dobys. I have the same ones you have. I think the Made in USA with the AEC legend came first, then the Made in USA with the legend scratched out, then the Printed in USA without. The "missing" one is the Printed in USA with the legend. If the ESCO had scratched the legend out, they weren't likely to have added it back when they went to the Printed in USA mark.

And I agree on the Rizzutos: with the AEC intact and scratched out on the larger image, no AEC on the smaller.

Last edited by metroac; 07-02-2021 at 06:06 PM. Reason: clarity, inaccuracy in original post
Old 07-02-2021, 05:00 PM
M@rk K3mm3rl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I have Doerr without the "An Exhibit Card" shown
Thanks, Jay. Never seen the Doerr without the legend. Now that I know they're out there, I'll know to keep an eye out.

Last edited by metroac; 07-02-2021 at 05:59 PM.