NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2002, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Default Did anyone else warn this guy?????

Posted By: Brian C Daniels 

The winner that is....that this card is a reprint? he needs endorsement from Yu'all

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1856989697&rd=1

Old 09-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...."anatomically incorrect" even for a reprint! First off, the card HAS thickness to it. You can clearly see this from blowing up the relatively clear scan and applying the "negative" photoshop option. MOST reprints are matchbook cover type thin, one or two plys of paper at the most. THIS card is obviously as thick as one of the matches INSIDE the matchbook. It is of MULTIPLE (many) plys, like a normal '34 Goudey. The few early reprints issued that ARE thick, DO NOT have this latter day print press/plate "honeycomb" pattern on the front more indicative of Dover and other post 1977 reprints.
Secondly, with such a noticeable printing matrix on the front that permeates EVERY COLOR on the area confined to the portraiture of the card (INCLUDING the whites), WHY doesn't the pattern continue over the white borders??? Why does the pattern of the portraiture seem to trail off UNDER the surface of the white borders???
In my estimate, the card is SPLICED! It's a genuine back (or an EARLY reprint back), with a post-1977 reprint front glued on, with painted borders (airbrush)!!!
Look at auction #1856312072. In the artwork to the left, the line directly over Lou's head at the bottom EXTENDS past and OVER the border. On THIS reprint, the line became covered by the painted borders.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Goudey Guy

this Goudey is a reprint. I've written an informative piece on the history of Goudey reprinting and frauds if this gentleman would like to get my two cents. See my email address if so.

Old 09-13-2002, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Stites

I am the owner of the ebay auction 1856989697. I thought I had enough knowledge in detecting a bad Goudey. I even used the #6 Beckett. Now I know that I was very wrong and I hang my head. To be honest, I am quite embarrassed. Thank you however to all of you good folks who sent the alerts to myself and the buyer. I will keep a close eye on this forum from now on. I only want to be as honest as possible.

Old 09-13-2002, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have never seen a better response to an honest mistake.....welcome aboard and feel free to chirp in with vintage card stuff at any time.....it is appreciated....best regards

Old 09-13-2002, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Before you ever get into a new vintage issue, first buy a few beat up commons and examine them closely with a 10x to get a feel for print technique, thickness, etc. (even smell...Leon). or maybe even taste: my dog refuses to lick reprints. Also, buy a nice reprint set - you can always dump it on ebay later or sell to AJSPORTSCARDS (you too can be a huge estate seller!).

After doing the above, reprints should be very easy to spot, forgeries also but a little bit more difficult than reprints. On Goudeys, you can also look for the layering in the cardboard on the edges. You will then have the confidence to spend money you don't have.

I wish I could say that I find restoration and trimming easy to spot, but I don't.

Old 09-14-2002, 02:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BCD

We all know this! The question was did anyone ELSE inform the buyer it was a reprint.......I know I write like dung but it was obvious I knew it was fake. And now the owner-seller does too! Looks like a good guy.