NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-05-2011, 02:27 PM
pariah1107

Default Another BCS rant

College football is dead to me. This latest travesty exposes the BCS for exactly what it is; a money grab by NCAA. Who wants to watch another 9-6 overtime victory by two teams that have already faced eachother. Hell, Alabama was not even in there conference championship game but they get the right to play for the BCS championship? Are you kidding?

Every Oklahoma State fan should feel absolutely robbed. I say boycott the games, do not contribute any more time, energy, or money to this farce.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
David Str@@te

Agreed that the National Championship Game is of zero interest to me. I just don't understand how this process is not upgrade after years and years of failure
Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Every Oklahoma State fan should feel absolutely robbed.
I'm not on Oklahoma State fan, but I certainly feel they got robbed.

So, if I got this right, LSU has to beat Alabama twice to win the National Championship, but Alabama only has to beat LSU once to win the National Championship. Yeah, that's fair.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:20 PM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Hell, Alabama was not even in there conference championship game but they get the right to play for the BCS championship? Are you kidding?
What? You are saying a team that doesn't win its own division in its conference shouldn't play for the NC? Absolute lunacy, I say!

The BC$ makes perfect sense. When you realize that it's really the Benjamin$ Champion$hip $erie$.

IMO college football is the best sport on earth. But something needs to happen, and quickly, before the whole thing is completely destroyed. I hate what is happening right now.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:07 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion. BUT the BCS got it right...The NC game isn't about what game people wanna see, or about whether the best two teams had already faced each other, or a game between two conference champions...It's a game that is to be played by the TWO BEST teams in the country. PERIOD!!! Nothing else matters.. Regardless of anything that can be said in OSU's favor. Alabama's ONLY loss of the season was against an undefeated LSU team, that people insist are that far ahead of everyone else...Oh Yeah! And that loss was in overtime...Basically, none of these three teams have lost in regulation. And two of these 3 teams faced each other, while the other finished regulation tied with a team that only had won 4 games in regulation. OSU has given up 34 points to Louisiana-Lafayette, 33 to Tulsa, beat a 6-6 Texas A&M team by a score of 30-29, gave up 45 points to Kansas St, and of course lost in 2OT to a 6-6 Iowa State team...

I'm sorry but I don't think a team that lost in overtime to one 6-6 team, while only beating another 6-6 team by 1, belongs in the NC game.. OSU only has themselves to blame for not getting a chance in the NC game, and not the BCS.

Let's keep in mind that I'm an Ohio State fan, and despise the SEC as much as everyone else..

Now for those claiming that the BCS fixed this game to make $$$$...How can that be, when everyone was talking out against it, and said they wouldn't watch a rematch? Seems to me, like that would actually cost them some money.. No fix here. Just the TWO BEST teams in the country. PERIOD!!!

Last edited by novakjr; 12-06-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:07 AM

I think Alabama is a good pick for the championship game. HOWEVER, I think their should be a multi-team playoff. So, yes, I think the BCS is crappy.

Last edited by drc; 12-07-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
JB

Default ........

Its not a perfect system, but the BCS got it right....under the criteria set forth to date the two best teams are playing for the championship. The fact that it is a rematch is irrelevant, see NFL wildcard team (Packers) win the Super Bowl while avenging REGULAR season losses. The coaches and others that know football know a great D will win out over a great O.... they also knew OK state ranked #107 in the FBS defense was going to get run out of the game.....AL or LSU would beat them by 17-28 pts. Alabama's best win is better (ark) and loss is better (lsu). I hate that State loss to a 28 pt underdog team in Iowa St, had that not happened they would be in the game without issue......however that didn't happen and the best two teams are going to play for it, winner take all. I am thankful Alabama made it back up the polls due to others losing, that was fortunate, agreed, but the facts are if Alabama played OK st. and the rest of the Big 12 Alabama would be undefeated, if you flip that scenario St. would have lost to Al, LSU, Ark and possibly S.Carolina and or Georgia. That should bring the topic full circle and put reality back into play.

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 AM
pariah1107

Alabama had THREE victories over top 25 opponents, Oklahoma State had SEVEN! LSU did not get a first down in the entire first half of the SEC championship game versus a Georgia team that lost to Boise State. Stellar offenses, no, great defenses, yes.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Alabama had THREE victories over top 25 opponents, Oklahoma State had SEVEN! LSU did not get a first down in the entire first half of the SEC championship game versus a Georgia team that lost to Boise State. Stellar offenses, no, great defenses, yes.
The total number of wins vs. ranked opponents actually means nothing at all... Regardless of rank, these 7 teams still aren't all that great, and to make your argument worse, only 4 of those teams finished the season ranked.. When a top 5 team beats a lower ranked team, then all they've really done is beat a team that they should have beaten.. I could say the same for the 3 ranked teams that Bama beat(only 2 are currently ranked)...If you're the 3rd best team in the country, playing a 10th ranked team is really no different than playing an unranked one..

Basically, when facing teams ranked lower than themselves, OSU was 11-1. And in the same scenario, Alabama was 11-0. And none of Alabama's games under this scenario were even close..

Last edited by novakjr; 12-07-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

If the Big 12 would have had a conference championship game this year, we wouldn't even be discussing this. OSU would have won that game and earned ehough points to be number 2. That's a fact.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:01 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If the Big 12 would have had a conference championship game this year, we wouldn't even be discussing this. OSU would have won that game and earned ehough points to be number 2. That's a fact.
Yeah, thank God they don't put 6-6 teams in Conference championship games(if the Big 12 had one)..
Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

It wouldn't have been a 6-6 team playing for the conference championship. If it were still set up like last year (and the many years past), it would have been #8 K-State (10-2) representing the Big 12 North vs. #3 OSU (11-1) representing the Big 12 South. I feel sure OSU would have beaten K-State (as they did earlier in the season). If so, it would have moved OSU into #2. Do you disagree?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 12-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
It wouldn't have been a 6-6 team playing for the conference championship. If it were still set up like last year, it would have been #8 K-State (10-2) representing the BIg 12 North vs. #3 OSU (11-1) representing the Big 12 South. I feel sure OSU would have beaten K-State (as they did earlier in the season). If so, it would have moved OSU into #2. Do you disagree?
I don't disagree, it probably would've moved them up. But then I would be claiming that the BCS got it wrong, because Alabama is the 2nd best team in the country, regardless of anything else, by far....

Last edited by novakjr; 12-07-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Alabama is the 2nd best team in the country, regardless of anything else, by far....
I disagree, but let's revisit this thread on January 10th
Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Daryl

Roll Tide.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
I disagree, but let's revisit this thread on January 10th
I know it's not the 10th yet, but can we revisit this now...
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Congrats to Alabama and their fans. Although they are the National Champions, I still don't think it proves they're number one. LSU beat them once, they beat LSU once. I don't know about everybody else, but where I come from that means they're tied.

I still think OSU got robbed...and no, I am not an OSU fan.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Congrats to Alabama and their fans. Although they are the National Champions, I still don't think it proves they're number one. LSU beat them once, they beat LSU once. I don't know about everybody else, but where I come from that means they're tied.

I still think OSU got robbed...and no, I am not an OSU fan.
If you combine the games, over 8 Q's and an OT, Bama outscored LSU 27-9..I've stated all along that I'm not a fan of either team, but these two are clearly the two best teams in the country. No other team in any of their games was close, and these two just slugged it out against each other...OSU can't make the same claim.. OSU lost to an un-ranked team, and only beat another unranked team by 1. No robbery here, OSU has no one to blame but themselves..

We'll never know for sure, but I honestly think that there's a significant drop off after Bama and LSU.

Also, if you run an NHL style point system awarding points for OT loss. Bama wins the series 3-2..

Last edited by novakjr; 01-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I have to agree with you. I also think that if a team is in a conference with a championship game, they have to play in, and win it. That would nullify the end-of-season skewing that allowed Alabama to crawl back into the #2 spot. If such a rule were in place, I doubt anyone would have complained about the resulting OSU-LSU championship game, except Alabama, who would argue that OSU got in simply because their conference did NOT have a championship game.

Still, I think the best team in the country won the final deciding game of the year.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I have to agree with you. I also think that if a team is in a conference with a championship game, they have to play in, and win it. That would nullify the end-of-season skewing that allowed Alabama to crawl back into the #2 spot. If such a rule were in place, I doubt anyone would have complained about the resulting OSU-LSU championship game, except Alabama, who would argue that OSU got in simply because their conference did NOT have a championship game.

Still, I think the best team in the country won the final deciding game of the year.
Now, since you think that the best team in the country won(which is the ultimate goal, isn't it?). Then wouldn't that point out a major flaw in such proposed rule?

The NCG should be the TWO BEST TEAMS, regardless of anything else. If they start doing a plus-one, then things will be more clear. But if they don't, no rules should be needed to dictate the two teams, other than being the top two teams in the ranking...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
David Str@@te

The very fact that we are having this discussion proves the BCS is garbage.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
The NCG should be the TWO BEST TEAMS, regardless of anything else.
This statement is correct, however how can you (or anybody else) say who is number one or number two without a playoff system? It's all OPINION. I stand behind my earlier statment that it is ridiculous that LSU had to beat Bama twice to be the National Champions, but Bama only had to beat LSU once.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-10-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Now, since you think that the best team in the country won(which is the ultimate goal, isn't it?). Then wouldn't that point out a major flaw in such proposed rule?

The NCG should be the TWO BEST TEAMS, regardless of anything else. If they start doing a plus-one, then things will be more clear. But if they don't, no rules should be needed to dictate the two teams, other than being the top two teams in the ranking...
No. Yes, Alabama was the best team at the end of the year, but were they the best team over the course of the year? That's why I mentioned the 'skewing'. If all games counted equally, then I don't think Alabama would have played in the title game.

The best team in the country at the end of the season could have started off 0-4, then improved drastically (changed q.b.'s, etc.) - do they deserve to be in the title game? Not in my opinion. And if you lose a big game earlier in the year that will determine whether or not you get to play in your conference's title game, then you didn't have the overall season that earns you a BCS title game berth. Just my opinion.

I feel the same way about Wild Cards in the various pro sports - many times the Wild Card team is the best team at the end of the season, and is steamrolling along with momentum when the playoffs hit. Is it fair? Not in my thinking, but I understand those who disagree.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
This statement is correct, however how can you (or anybody else) say who is number one or number two without a playoff system? It's all OPINION. I stand behind my earlier statment that it is ridiculous that LSU had to beat Bama twice to be the National Champions, but Bama only had to beat LSU once.
You mean a playoff system like March Madness, that guarantees the best two teams in the nation play in the championship?