NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Default sending cards in for grading

Posted By: david Poses

i have about 40 cards i'm looking to sell and want to get them graded before selling. none are worth more than $500, the majority are between $100-$300. paranoia has gotten the best of me, and i'm having cold feet about sending them off to sgc. does anyone have any advice? (should i take pictures of each card before sending? videotape myself putting the package together?) any reassuring anecdotes about the t206 wagner you put in the mail to sgc and it didn't get stolen or lost en route? any help is appreciated.
thanks.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I would not worry about sending them to SGC. I never made a videotape, never scanned them first, and have submitted hundreds of cards, and they all came back without a problem. It's doing it for the first time that is making you nervous.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

Just bundle them up and send them Registered, Insured. Shouldn't cost more than $25 or so. They'll get there. Need some tape? Just ask Barry

Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Yes, I've got the tape!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

You've got little to worry about - just insure them for their full value (or even a little more if you're really worried). SGC should let you know once they are received (although I still have hear nothing from the package USPS delivered to them this past Monday).

By the way, Staples was running a free shipping promo last week and I picked up a roll from Staples.com for $8

Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

The post office is picky about the tape you use to seal boxes that are sent via registered mail. Here is a place on the internet you can order 'gummed paper tape' that seems to meet their requirements, if there is no store in your area that carries it:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz230/13/

Old 03-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I don't like shipping cards in general (but of course, I have done it).

You could always look at their show schedule and drop the cards off to them in person.
That at least cuts out one of the shipments.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Joe- I always wonder why people don't like shipping. I can't think of a safer way to transport valuable objects than registered mail. I even feel it is safer than carrying them on your person to a show. Just wonder what people's aversions are.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

when you ship - you are putting faith in others.
when you carry the card yourself - you are taking control of exactly how the item is transported.

I recently shipped an about $2K package to a fellow N54er via USPS Overnight Insured.

Although it was insured for the $2K - and was to get to the person next day - there was a period of days.... DAYS..... where the post office had no idea where the package was. The official response during those days was.... lets just wait and hopefully it gets scanned somewhere at some point. The package eventually found its way to the recipient. But - the fact that it was MIA for days (it actually might have been a week) left me uneasy.

Where I have a choice - I drop off in person.

Otherwise I ship, insure, and cross my fingers.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

I've sent a few thousand registered packages over the years and zero have gotten lost. A few did get delayed due to bad weather or something, but every last one reached its destination.

First class insured has about 99.5% efficiency but I have had a few lost. Nothing wrong with delivering in person, but it's not always convenient.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

David,

I felt the same way the first time I sent my cards. If it makes you feel any better I have never lost any in the mail. Insure them for what it would cost to replace them. Instead of submitting all of the cards at once submit them in smaller batches in case something does happen.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

The mantra in the financial world translates to this problem.

If you are unsure or nervous, then try sending in smaller multiple shipments. See how the first one goes with 5 lesser valued cards. Send them registered insured mail at the USPS. Once that works, go for the next installment. If you view it as risky, no reason to "bet the house" on 1 shipment, right?

as for taking video of yourself, that topic is probably best left to other kinds of message boards, of which I have heard there are many to choose.

Or you could take a picture of yourself in front of your cards, holding today's newspaper. -That;s what I like to do with all my hostages.

Edited to add: John S posted while I was still writing...so, yes..what he said

Old 03-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Keep in mind SGC gets numerous packages a day, perhaps dozens. While I have never seen their operation in person I am sure they have it down to a science when it comes to accepting, processing, and returning orders.

I say they are professionals and you do not have to worry about submitting cards to them.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

I have 100% faith in SGC once the cards are in their hands.

Its the transport to them that I was commenting about.

If you are worried about SGC.... don't be.... they are top notch.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Addie_Joss

Insure them with delivery confirmation and a tracking number. Nothing to worry about.