NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 04-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Lou Brown

Default 1962 post cereal unfolded box w/FB panel

I just picked up a like new 1962 Post Cereal unfolded box with the 7 card panel on the back. Really beautiful piece. The cards are pretty much commons with no SP's. Any feedback on scarcity and value. I am having a tough time finding one anywhere online (past or present). Any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:30 PM

Default Uncut

I would say 200 to 400. 400 being on the high end.

Just my opinion
Old 04-29-2016, 05:32 PM
Lou Brown

Thank you. Sorry if this is in the wrong category.

I did notice a full box that had Tarkenton and Karras on ebay at a fairly
high price (just sitting). Very rough though.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:47 PM

Default Post

There's a lot of crazy people out there... eBay

There is a 62 sheet in rea with Jim Brown. It's at 350 plus the steam...
Old 04-29-2016, 05:56 PM
pariah1107

This would be better in the football section. No disrespect, but there are people who know significantly more about the 1962 Post Football set that do not frequent this side of the board. This particular issue has many short prints and rare panels, and they may be more qualified to give an estimated value. I've been working on this set for three years, love to see the panel PM me.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 AM
Lou Brown

I will admit that I tried to delete and place in the proper category but was not clear on where I could delete the post. (If anyone can help, it would be appreciated).

I found the Brown Panel. (up to $400 now). Obviously a much more desirable star to have on there and no idea if the other 5 are tough or not but I would think that the flattened, unfolded box would be better still. Who knows.

I'll re-post (with a photo) on the appropriate section and will pm you before I do that when I can Pariah. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My apologies. I moved it to the wrong forum. I believe it's fixed now. Sorry about that and good luck in the quest!!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:53 AM
Lou Brown

Thank you
Old 04-30-2016, 09:39 PM
Ken Marks

Default your flat box

lou--absent any picture i am going to make an educated guess that you have a 12 oz post toasties box. say this because there are a number of those out there in terms of "flats". there are 4 different panels of this size with four sets of cards on the back. 2,21,40,58,77,96,114 or 66,199,109,121,134,156,160 or 130, 146, 170, 183, 197,81,7 or 132,150,168,185,16,32,49. The value in your item is the flat, and not any of the cards because they are are very easy to obtain (one of the main reason for this is that this size and flavor of cereal was a top seller for post, thus many card of these players exist). there are also the same number of "flats" for the 1962 post baseball issue.

you certainly have a nice item. i would tend to agree with the other poster who estimated 200-400 dollars. realize this is a wide range, but there is no book and kind of comes down to what interested buyers you find. and while there are a number of these out there, you also do not see them for sale that much. one of the good things about these "flats" (and again assuming my guess if right) is that these flats are from post toasties spout boxes. spout boxes were a test that post cereal did with the 12 oz post toasties boxes for both the baseball promotion and football promotion in 1962. they also put this cereal out for each of the 4 different panels for the 12 oz post toasties packages in the normal open at the top cereal. you should be able to see it is a spout box by looking at the top middle of your flat and there is that notation on all boxes assuming it has not been cut off. about all i can think of and would love to know if it is one of these boxes you have and if not, then what box is it. good night. ken
Old 05-02-2016, 06:26 AM
Lou Brown

Thanks so much for the input. You are spot on. It is a spout 12 oz Post Toasties box. It is the 1st series of cards that you mentioned. Great to have such knowledgeable folks out there!

Thanks. Lou
Old 05-02-2016, 06:41 AM
Lou Brown

Image of post flat box
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (72.6 KB, 166 views)
Old 05-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Ken Marks

Default Your box

Very good and no problem at all. Now I saw a flat go on eBay the other day and seems almost certain it is the one you were talking about. See you have it priced at $700. I doubt you will get that full amount but who knows. Good luck. (and since I have all four baseball and all four football flats I sure hope you do!!)
Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Lou Brown

Thanks. It's a start. Basing the price on the fact that there are no others on ebay nor can I find any on any catalog auctions to use as comps.

Waiting to get the set that the person I got this from has.

I'll let you know what it ends up going for. Thanks
Old 12-29-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubrown View Post
Thanks. It's a start. Basing the price on the fact that there are no others on ebay nor can I find any on any catalog auctions to use as comps.

Waiting to get the set that the person I got this from has.

I'll let you know what it ends up going for. Thanks
Does anyone have any idea what a complete box with the Jim Brown card would be worth ? Bought it over 20 years ago.  photo IMG_2755_zpsszxblask.jpg
 photo IMG_2756_zps9vyryaoi.jpg
Old 12-31-2016, 07:28 PM
Ken Marks

Default Nice

Nice item. Tough panel from a cereal flavor and size that is not common, and then the entire cereal box too. And signed. Pretty unique and good luck finding a price guide listing. Can I ask a question.

That box looks in such good shape. Did at one point it ever hold cereal? I am asking because I was wondering if that is the box that was shown in Scott Bruce's book about the 1960s cereal premiums. There were six boxes featured in the Post Football pages and one of them was the Jim Brown small Bran Flakes box just like this one. It is such a one of a kind item, that I was wondering if it is the same. Scott's book was published in 1998 I believe and maybe 3 or 4 years later he liquidated all the football stuff shown in the book. While I did acquire many pieces, did not win out the Brown box and thinking this is the same one. Asking for no other reason than just curiosity.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmarks View Post
Nice item. Tough panel from a cereal flavor and size that is not common, and then the entire cereal box too. And signed. Pretty unique and good luck finding a price guide listing. Can I ask a question.

That box looks in such good shape. Did at one point it ever hold cereal? I am asking because I was wondering if that is the box that was shown in Scott Bruce's book about the 1960s cereal premiums. There were six boxes featured in the Post Football pages and one of them was the Jim Brown small Bran Flakes box just like this one. It is such a one of a kind item, that I was wondering if it is the same. Scott's book was published in 1998 I believe and maybe 3 or 4 years later he liquidated all the football stuff shown in the book. While I did acquire many pieces, did not win out the Brown box and thinking this is the same one. Asking for no other reason than just curiosity.
Hmmm...That sounds about the right time frame...I came across it on eBay and bid on it because of the Jim Brown card. Someone actually contacted me after the auction and offered to buy it. I cant remember if it was empty or had cereal in it. I got it signed last year....Now if I can just find a complete Bazooka box with the Jim Brown card on the back
Old 01-01-2017, 12:05 PM
Ken Marks

Default that would be nice.

Well good luck with finding that other Brown item.

Your box does sound like it most likely came from the Scott Bruce stuff. Like I mentioned in my initial post, I got three boxes from that picture that appeared in his book at the same time back then. The reason I was asking if it had cereal or not was that almost certainly none of mine ever contained cereal it looks like. Mine appear to be boxes that were formed from flats at some point long after the chance to be used as a holder of cereal had very much past. Perhaps by Scott at sometime. So getting a read on your box to see if it might be the same is the only reason for the inquiry. What I found from mine, if one looks at the top of the box, you can have a pretty darn good idea if it was at all likely to have had cereal in it just by the way that top looks to have been opened (or maybe more accurately, not to have been opened). Not in anyway disparaging your item as certainly an outstanding piece of memorabilia ...... just trying to put the pieces together of a story from a long time ago.