NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Default Help with an 1845 baseball rule pamphlet

Hi...I recently picked this pamphlet up and was hoping someone might be able to help me out with it.It's 6 pages bound by a single string and called "RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE RECENTLY INVENTED GAME OF BASE BALL AS ADOPTED BY THE KNICKERBOCKER BASE BALL CLUB ON SEPTEMBER 23,1845".
I've only been able to find one image that was similar:

http://www.19cbaseball.com/image-kni...all-rules.html

My copy is word for word until the last page.The image on the internet identifies it as a reprint,while my last page reads:"This pamphlet was hand-set in CASLON OLDSTYLE TYPE and printed on an 1847 Washington flatbed press at the printing office of The Farmers Museum in Cooperstown,New York".
I can't find anything that identifies my copy as a reprint.I'm hoping someone might know another way of authenticating it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (77.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (74.4 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by edtiques; 01-09-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

"This pamphlet was hand-set in CASLON OLDSTYLE TYPE and printed on an 1847 Washington flatbed press at the printing office of The Farmers Museum in Cooperstown,New York".

I'm honestly unsure, I'd guess Reprint. It simply states that it was printed on an 1847 Washington flatbed press, and not "in 1847". Also, I don't think the city of Cooperstown was even relevant in regards to baseball until the Mills Commission. I could definitely be wrong about that part though. Anyways, Cooperstown is about 200 or so miles from New York City if that helps puts anything into perspective.

Anyways, here's a link to the "farmers museum" website. Maybe give them a call to see if they have any info about the item.. If not, find out what year they were founded, and then you'll at least know what years that it's not from.

http://www.farmersmuseum.org/

It's still a really cool piece.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-09-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: misprint
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Barry Sloate

I have a similar copy, and it's a reprint. In fact, to my knowledge, nobody has ever seen an original. I don't even know what source this printer used to copy the rules. If it were an original set of 1845 Knickerbocker rules it would be worth millions of dollars.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

The Farmer's Museum in Cooperstown opened in 1944. In 1845, it would have been a working farm owned I believe by James Fenimore Cooper or another member of the Cooper family at that time.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM
William Peebles

The Farmer's Museum is a pretty cool place to spend a quiet afternoon in Cooperstown. They've recreated a village square with work shops showing how various work shops would have looked. The print shop is fully functional and does commercial printing on an old press. They still make and sell these pamphlets in the shop.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com