NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 AM

Default what a shame walter johnson cuts

i was on ebay last night and came across a 2001 sp legendary cuts walter johnson with a print run of something crazy like 130 or some where close to that. the thing that gets me is how many documents and checks UD had to cut up and destroy for this product and what was possibly destroyed to sell this product. thats not the only thing UD destroyed they cut up many documents from hofer's such as cap anson, henry chadwick and many many others. the card industry needs to stop destroying these items and conserve and if they want to still give them away give the whole item in redemption form if its to big for packs or boxes. just my 2c
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Richard Simon

As long as this scam of 1/1 or 1/130 still goes on and people still chase these cards then UD will do the WRONG thing and keep destroying documents in pursuit of $$$$.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

It isn't just card companies that do it. Why on earth would you cut up a letter or contract just to slab a cut?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDDIE-COLLIN...item1c215403f9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDDIE-COLLIN...item2573a078ee
Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
It isn't just card companies that do it. Why on earth would you cut up a letter or contract just to slab a cut?

card companies have no caring for the history or significance of these great original letters and documents. They are only trying to make money at the expense of the original item. It is really sad IMO
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 AM
J@RR0D

This is the proper way to do it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-A...p2047675.l2557
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post

Those documents that these cuts came from are common and a large find of them was made a number of years ago. The entire document, I think, usually sells for a few hundred dollars (correct me if I am wrong there).
Now you can get the cut for a grand!! How lucky for the buyer .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Scott

LOL at Richard. Yes, plus the full documents are so much more desirbable, than some put together "fake scarcity".
Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Those documents that these cuts came from are common and a large find of them was made a number of years ago. The entire document, I think, usually sells for a few hundred dollars (correct me if I am wrong there).
Now you can get the cut for a grand!! How lucky for the buyer .
Years ago ebay seller KHW had/ and still has many Red Sox contracts signed by Eddie Collins. There was one in particular that caught my eye. The agreement was for the purchase of a few players from Louisville to Boston. One of the players was Otey Clark. Otey is someone from my hometown who I got to know. Otey only played one season in the majors. It may have been the only contract that resulted in his call up. I didn't buy it and still kicking myself for not. The contract sold and I have this fear it was destroyed for a cut or a cut card.

Even in bulk, each contract is still unique to somebody.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

This is one of the reasons I began collecting original signed letters.

Same for original early Spalding and Reach guides.