NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Default Del Webb?

Sorry, can't seem to find an example of Del's sig. Is this it, or is it some Beth Webb?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0479.jpg (69.4 KB, 192 views)
Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 PM

That is not the way Del Webb signed documents or anything I have ever seen. Disclosure though, I have never seen a signed ball and sometimes people did print on that format, but usually not this late.

Rhys
Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Here is the Del Webb from my collection. As you can see his signature is very unusual and distinctive. This is the signature he used for flat items. I do not know what his signature on a baseball would look like except to say that I have never seen his signature on a ball, and it seems to me that his signature as it is on flat items would be hard to do on a baseball. The spelling on your ball looks to be Dell not Del if I am not mistaken. but remember printed names instead of cursive signatures have been used on balls since people started signing balls. I am sorry I have no opinion on the Webb's authenticity on your ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (75.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Yikes. I know it was a rarity for guys to have sloppy signatures in those days but that's as awful an autograph as I've seen.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Thanks for the replies. It's really hard to tell where the "L" (or "LL") in Del ends and where the Y in Casey takes over.

I agree that Webb's regular sig is atrocious; I really hope the "Scribbles" crowd can jump in and show us how those old-timers had such better writing than current guys!
Old 02-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Jon Canfield

FWIW, I have a Del Webb on a Yankees signed ball and it's almost identical to the ball posted above. It's a printed signature that looks like a 5 year old wrote it. I'll try to post scans tonight.

Last edited by canjond; 02-28-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Jon Canfield

Picture is below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0310.jpg (21.6 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by canjond; 02-28-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:50 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Thanks for posting. I have never seen a Del Webb signature on a ball. He reminds me of those early ball players and even Negro leaguers who could write in cursive on flat items but had to print their name when signing a ball ( which has led to controversy concerning some players autographs...but that is for another thread and time). That was very common then, but I never would have thought a wealthy and educated man like Webb in the 1950s would have to print his name to sign a ball.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Excellent! Thanks for posting. Too bad Webb isn't super-valuable, but it's better than having "Beth Webb's" signature!

Ken
Old 02-28-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Thanks for the replies. It's really hard to tell where the "L" (or "LL") in Del ends and where the Y in Casey takes over.

I agree that Webb's regular sig is atrocious; I really hope the "Scribbles" crowd can jump in and show us how those old-timers had such better writing than current guys!
As a member of the "Scribbles crowd, I'll try. Mr. Webb is the pre-war exception, rather than the rule. And, in all fairness to him, at least he wrote "Dell Webb" when signing his name, and not simply, say, a semicircle with a line through it. He just had the bad habit of not moving his pen from left-to-right while writing them.

When was the last time someone posted a picture of a pre-war signature in his collection while asking for help deciphering it?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
As a member of the "Scribbles crowd, I'll try. Mr. Webb is the pre-war exception, rather than the rule. And, in all fairness to him, at least he wrote "Dell Webb" when signing his name, and not simply, say, a semicircle with a line through it. He just had the bad habit of not moving his pen from left-to-right while writing them.

When was the last time someone posted a picture of a pre-war signature in his collection while asking for help deciphering it?
I think it says something that you can go to Bobby Doerr, who is almost 97 and in failing health, have him sign something today, and his signature is still more legible than 99% of the modern players I have in my collection. I used to go to the Futures at Fenway doubleheader and get autographs there, and if the player didn't add his number, then I'd be clueless as to who it was. One of the reasons I stopped going (and what drove me out of the hobby for a few years) is it just wasn't fun anymore, spending all that time getting signatures that needed all that additional deciphering work.