NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Mark Fox

Default Looking for resources for information on vintage tickets and stubs

I find vintage tickets and stubs very interesting but I have never acquired any for my collection...at least not yet. Are there any good online or printed resources for information on tickets and stubs? I have found a handful of the generic "collecting tickets" and "Beginner's Guide to Collecting Sports Tickets" type of articles scattered around, but Im looking for something more in depth than the those. Anyone have recommendations for reading and research? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I find vintage tickets and stubs very interesting but I have never acquired any for my collection...at least not yet. Are there any good online or printed resources for information on tickets and stubs? I have found a handful of the generic "collecting tickets" and "Beginner's Guide to Collecting Sports Tickets" type of articles scattered around, but Im looking for something more in depth than the those. Anyone have recommendations for reading and research? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Hi Mark,
Unfortunately, I really don't have any specific printed resources to direct you to, but there are several net54 board members including myself that have been extensively involved in the ticket collecting hobby.
However, anytime that you have any specific questions, you can certainly ask them here on net54, or if you prefer, you can reach out to me directly via e-mail and I will try to help or steer you to someone that might be able to.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-24-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Mark Fox

Thanks Scott. The ticket niche of the hobby does not seem to have much in the way of information or reference resources, especially when you get away from World Series tickets.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 AM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
Thanks Scott. The ticket niche of the hobby does not seem to have much in the way of information or reference resources, especially when you get away from World Series tickets.
Mark, that is true. However, in some ways that is a good thing for you. I would recommend that you find the niche that you really like and become as smart as you can on it. What you will find is that you can pick up great buys, great trades, and educate others on that part of your niche.

For me, I choose Army-Navy football tickets. There are only a handful of us that actively collect it, but there are quite a few floating around. Im at about 96% of the entire series from 1890-present and it was a lot of fun hunting for each of them and learning about each game.

It also takes up a heck of a lot less space than programs!

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 07-29-2017, 09:02 PM

Scott or anyone,

I have these below tickets and am having difficulty finding the years. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170729_230102.jpg (28.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 07-29-2017, 09:19 PM

Scott or anyone,

I have these below tickets and am having difficulty finding the years. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170729_230102.jpg (28.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 07-29-2017, 09:52 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Dating tickets, especially older ones can sometimes be difficult. Todays tickets have dates all over the damn things, but older ones do not. some of the older ones will have years on them and then game numbers. Those can be figured out by going to any site with games by year. On those (like yours) with no year, but game numbers, it can be a bit tricky. Things like the owners name on the ticket can give you some help, but not in your examples. After that, you can check and see if the game number corresponds with a home game for that team, but if a team was in a city for many years, that's not much help. You can also check by known examples and see if the style of ticket is within a certain year range...although some of these older tickets (like the Yankees, Cards and Cubs) had the same style for many years.
A good example of inconsistent tickets is Lou Brock 3000 hit tickets. A lot of the standing room only tickets had a year on them but no date. Fortunately, those tickets were listed with an -A- which indicated the first sellout of the season (the next sellout would be -B- and so on). General admission for that same game had re-used tickets with a year but no date and no designation. Sometimes they stamped a month and day on them, sometimes they didn't. Either way, it makes for some head scratching for whether the date that was stamped was original or stamped later.
Just some examples to show that tickets are things that need a lot of research before purchasing because there's a lot of good/original tickets that have no way of determining which game they're from.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Dating tickets, especially older ones can sometimes be difficult. Todays tickets have dates all over the damn things, but older ones do not. some of the older ones will have years on them and then game numbers. Those can be figured out by going to any site with games by year. On those (like yours) with no year, but game numbers, it can be a bit tricky. Things like the owners name on the ticket can give you some help, but not in your examples. After that, you can check and see if the game number corresponds with a home game for that team, but if a team was in a city for many years, that's not much help. You can also check by known examples and see if the style of ticket is within a certain year range...although some of these older tickets (like the Yankees, Cards and Cubs) had the same style for many years.
A good example of inconsistent tickets is Lou Brock 3000 hit tickets. A lot of the standing room only tickets had a year on them but no date. Fortunately, those tickets were listed with an -A- which indicated the first sellout of the season (the next sellout would be -B- and so on). General admission for that same game had re-used tickets with a year but no date and no designation. Sometimes they stamped a month and day on them, sometimes they didn't. Either way, it makes for some head scratching for whether the date that was stamped was original or stamped later.
Just some examples to show that tickets are things that need a lot of research before purchasing because there's a lot of good/original tickets that have no way of determining which game they're from.
Hi Jim,
Mike is correct about what he is saying.
Generally speaking I can tell you that the Giants ticket on the left is roughly mid-late 1940's. The Cubs ticket in the center may be 1930's due to ticket price. The Braves ticket on the right is from Opening Day and is most likely 1974-1978 based on font.
Nailing it down to an exact date would be virtually impossible unless the ticket was attached to a scorebook or the date was incidentally written on it by the fan in attendance.
I hope you find this somewhat helpful...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-30-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 AM
Rob

Default Tickets

I'm a casual collector of tickets. Football only and mostly Rams tickets. I picked a niche to get started...The L.A. Times Charity Football Game that the Rams played yearly from the 1940's through the 1980's. The tickets had really cool graphics through the majority of their run. They're hard to find, but I'm alway happy when I find one. I pretty much like any old football ticket with nice graphic design. I've included a few pics from my collection.

image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
Old 07-31-2017, 10:12 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Nice tickets there Fballguy. Besides the great graphics, I'm taken with then price on each ticket. For a game now, you have to back up the brinks truck just to see 2 last place teams. LOL
Old 07-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Nice tickets there Fballguy. Besides the great graphics, I'm taken with then price on each ticket. For a game now, you have to back up the brinks truck just to see 2 last place teams. LOL
Haha...That 1937 Rams vs Cardinals game would set a family of four back nearly ten bucks when you factor in hot dogs, drinks and a pennant!
Old 07-31-2017, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the input! Appreciate it

Jim
Old 07-31-2017, 03:49 PM

Thanks Scott, appreciate the help

Jim