NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

View Poll Results: What grade do you think it would get from PSA?
9(MK) 0 0%
8(MK) 1 5.88%
7(MK) 2 11.76%
6(MK) 0 0%
8 1 5.88%
7 1 5.88%
6 8 47.06%
Worse than 6(MK) 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Josh

Default Thoughts on grading this '65 Mantle?

Hi all. Picked this up recently and I'm curious how well you think it would grade. My main concern is the blue ink smudges on the back. It's not a normal feature, and couldn't find any on ebay with this type of smudging, so I'm wondering how badly it will affect the grade. Do you think it would warrant a (MK) qualifier?

Thanks for your time.

MySlabs - https://myslabs.to/vashthe84
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Charles Jackson

Is it not already in an SGC holder?
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

(Sorry, but the poll is silly. No offense. If it's NOT a pen or marker type of a mark on the back, then most of the choices are eliminated.)

Yeah, is that just a regular, non-TPG type of holder it's in, or is it already in an SGC slab?

The blue on back definitely looks to be a print defect (PD), so if it doesn't get that qualifier, then it will cause the grade to drop, but it's anyone's guess how many numbers lower that would be.

Is the card severely bowed? Or is it miscut on the lower left there? This card is notorious for coming back as 'Authentic - Miscut' from PSA, because of the strange way it was cut at the factory. I have one, in fact. If it's bowing, then maybe you need to take an iron to it to flatten it out a bit before submitting.

Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; Yesterday at 02:44 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Josh

It's a GAI slab. It does appear to be bowed.
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
...maybe you need to take an iron to it to flatten it out a bit before submitting...[/COLOR][/B]
Please do not take an iron to a '65 Mantle.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
St@n Go.len

GAI? measure it and check the edges, I would be concerned about trimming

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

And, of course, by ironing I mean put it under a towel and carefully and gently run an iron (not being overly hot) over it a bit...and not pressing too hard or leaving the iron in the same spot. Keep it moving. This tends to help flatten out cards which have bowed over the years (I assume by eliminating trapped moisture?), while doing no damage to them whatsoever.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

A card's natural bowing does not negatively impact the grade as long as there are no creases/bends as a result. I agree that the ink on the back is PD, not MK.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
And, of course, by ironing I mean put it under a towel and carefully and gently run an iron (not being overly hot) over it a bit...and not pressing too hard or leaving the iron in the same spot. Keep it moving. This tends to help flatten out cards which have bowed over the years (I assume by eliminating trapped moisture?), while doing no damage to them whatsoever.
Darren, please know I'm not taking a swipe at you here. I just can't get behind ironing a baseball card. It reminds me of the trend in comic book collecting in which people "press" their books. Among the many things I don't like about this practice is the fact that most of the defects reappear over time.

Regarding cards:

If I'm not mistaken, removing moisture will exaggerate the type of bowing the '65 Mantle exhibits. The card is basically made of two parts:
  • The untreated card stock (back of the card)
  • The treated, slightly glossy layer with the photo (card front)

When stored in a low humidity environment, such as a home with forced air heat, the card stock will lose moisture. This causes the card to curl/bow towards the back. I have first hand experience with this...unfortunately.

In theory, high humidity environments should cause the card to bow in the opposite direction.

Another theory, which I haven't tested, is that a humidor or similar contraption would gradually bring a bowed card back to being flat. The trick would be finding the right humidity level. Since (likely) nobody knows what the humidity level was in the room where '65 Topps was printed, it would (again, hypothetically) take a bit of trial and error to find the right number.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; Yesterday at 05:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Darren, please know I'm not taking a swipe at you here. I just can't get behind ironing a baseball card. It reminds me of the trend in comic book collecting in which people "press" their books. Among the many things I don't like about this practice is the fact that most of the defects reappear over time.

Regarding cards:

If I'm not mistaken, removing moisture will exaggerate the type of bowing the '65 Mantle exhibits. The card is basically made of two parts:
  • The untreated card stock (back of the card)
  • The treated, slightly glossy layer with the photo (card front)

When stored in a low humidity environment, such as a home with forced air heat, the card stock will lose moisture. This causes the card to curl/bow towards the back. I have first hand experience with this...unfortunately.

In theory, high humidity environments should cause the card to bow in the opposite direction.

Another theory, which I haven't tested, is that a humidor or similar contraption would gradually bring a bowed card back to being flat. The trick would be finding the right humidity level. Since (likely) nobody knows what the humidity level was in the room where '65 Topps was printed, it would (again, hypothetically) take a bit of trial and error to find the right number.
Oh, I wasn't thinking of it as a swipe, I was just clarifying my method in case anyone cared, because having some really bowed old cards, I employed the towel ironing technique as more or less of a test to see if it would make them flat again. It did work and they stayed that way, because I would pull them out of the toploaders and let them sit overnight in the open air, and the next morning they still held (basically the same) flatness. Your mileage may vary.

Casey Stengel

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Danny Gr|mes

Print defect

Last edited by refz; Yesterday at 06:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM
Josh

I'm not sure how I missed the option for a Print Defect qualifier. Makes sense.

I wish PSA had a better example on their site. I honestly can't tell why it was marked PD.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Here is a close-up based on their cert verification page for the card. It does not have the regular black smearing at the bottom right of the card which is what usually gets PD on the 1980 Bird/Magic RC. I think it got the PD based on the print snow (white specks) in the image backgrounds.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post

Here is a close-up based on their cert verification page for the card. It does not have the regular black smearing at the bottom right of the card which is what usually gets PD on the 1980 Bird/Magic RC. I think it got the PD based on the print snow (white specks) in the image backgrounds.
And possibly the top right. Follow the last N in Johnson, from the bottom of the letter to the border of the card.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; Yesterday at 10:22 PM.
Old Today, 04:32 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
And possibly the top right. Follow the last N in Johnson, from the bottom of the letter to the border of the card.
That line is actually a known variation of the card. But it could be that. Print snow can count as PD, and in the oversized image, it shows up really well.