NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Default I found this strange/odd about SGC's registry

Posted By: Rob D.

Apologies in advance if the following isn't that unusual. I'm not really a "registry collector," but I've entered a few sets on SGC's just for the heck of it, so it's quite possible I don't "get" all the nuances of a registry.

Before today, I had entered 28 of the 30 cards of the 1933 Butter Cream set on the registry. The tale of the tape looked like this:

Average grade: 40.00

Average weighted score: 39.01

Set superiority: 33.78

Today I got card No. 29 -- a Lloyd Waner graded "Authentic" -- back from SGC and entered it. The new tale of the tape:

Average grade: 38.62

Average weighted score: 37.43

Set superiority: 33.78

I totally understand why the average grade and average weighted score dropped after the addition of a card graded only "Authentic." But the fact that the set superiority stayed the same is puzzling to me. The way I interpret that is, based on the formula, the "superiority" of the set is no different from having 28 cards or having 29 with one being graded authentic. That doesn't seem right to me, because I would think that a set with 29 cards -- even if one doesn't have a numerical grade -- is "superior" to a set with 28 cards.

It could be that I'm not correctly comprehending what "Set superiority" is supposed to convey. And, honestly, it doesn't bother me because I was thrilled to add the Waner. Again, it just seems a little odd.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

does "set superiority" have anything to do with your set compared to the competition?

Old 06-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

Here's the definition:

Set Superiority - The ratio of all your card grades in a particular set (taking into account the SGC Power Rating assigned for the cards that you have in the set) divided by the SGC Power Rating for all the cards in the set

-Alan

Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Matt,

I kind of doubt it, because I have another set registered, and it's the only one for that issue. So in that case, there is nothing to compare it to.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Hi Alan,

I saw that on the SGC site. I guess I get the definition. I still think it's odd that the formula considers 28 cards the same -- in terms of "superiority" -- as 29 cards with one being authentic.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

My only guess then would be that an Authentic card receives zero value, therefore decreasing you averages. A zero would not change the numerator in your Set Superiority calculation so it would stay the same, since the denominator is fixed based on the all the cards in the set.

PSA scores Authentic cards as a value of 1, but I'm not sure about SGC.

-Alan

edited for spelling

Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

SGC Registry aside, if I read this correctly, then you've completed your Butter Cream set less Babe Ruth -- which I believe was your goal. That's no small feat, so I also believe a 'congratulations' is in order...

Congratulations!

Regards,

Richard.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Thanks, Richard.

The Butter Creams were my first attempt at putting together a vintage set in about 15 years, and it was a satisfying experience. Thanks to a lot of help from folks on this board, I was able to complete the set (sans Ruth) in about a year-and-a-half.

All in all, lots of fun.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Congrats Rob! That's no small accomplishment.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

What value did they assign the card 0 or .5. All authentics should be a .5 but often are listed as 0. That would explain the difference.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Thanks, James.

It's funny you mention that, because later last night I noticed that the value assigned is 0, yet in another set I have registered, an authentic card has a value of 5.

I e-mailed SGC with that very question and am awaiting a response.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

It should be valued as a 5/0.5 i.e. lower than a 10/1. Should be a simple error for them to fix.