NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default 2-part question on old Mastro catalogs (1997, 1998)

Posted By: Howard W. Rosenberg

For a series of books I've been writing, all on 19th-century baseball, I've been haphazardly learning of the range of 19th-century pictures, artifacts and documents that have appeared in old memorabilia catalogs beyond items that are easy to find (like Old Judge and Allen & Ginter images). For my second book, featuring Mike "King" Kelly, for example, I got sidetracked in searching for an image that someone told me was possibly at the San Francisco Public Library when, in reality it apparently was not, and had appeared in an old Mastro catalog. I did not learn of the image's appearance in the catalog until it was too late.

1. My short request is that I live in the D.C. area (Northern Virginia) and would love to be contacted by someone near me who is teeming with (and does not have buried in their backyard) old Mastro catalogs for my possible perusal, in particular Nov. 1997, July 1998, June 1999 and March 2000; I think I've pretty much seen the rest. Two other catalogs I haven't seen and which have 19th-century content are Sotheby’s of March 1993 and April 1994.

2. My more complicated request, in case no one were to contact me who lives near me, would be to find someone anywhere (except maybe abroad) who might methodically glance through one or more of the old catalogs for me to let me know what's in there of a 19th-century nature beyond the usual fare.

I could reciprocate in any number of ways.

Regards,
Howard W. Rosenberg
(703) 841-9523 telephone
howieanson@yahoo.com e-mail

Old 11-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

but what do you mean besides "the usual fare"?

I also have the Copeland Southeby's and the Halper Southeby's catalogues. And some nifty Robert Edwards Auctions. You can't see out of two windows in my bedroom,
the catalogues are piled up so high.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

Howard,

Email me and let me know, in particular, what types of things you are looking (or not looking) for.

I have the March 13, 1993 Sothebys catalog as I had a few items consigned in the auction (which happened to be cursed with a terrible snow storm that weekend).

I'd be happy to look some things up and help you where I can...

Scott

phlflyer1@comcast.net

Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

..the Copeland Auction Catalog and Halper Catalogs come up on e-bay, they are both excellent references, especially the vast and comprehensive Copeland Collection.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Basilone

but they are in my personal collection. They are not really for sale or trade as they would be difficult to replace. If there are specific card issues you want me to look up...let me know and I should be able to provide some assistance.

I have:

1. Sotheby's - March 1993
2.Mastro & Steinbach - November 1997
3.Mastro - July 1998
4.Mastro - March 2000

(I also have a Sotheby's Feb 1992 catalog too)

John Basilone

jbasilone@adelphia.net

Old 11-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Howard W. Rosenberg

Thanks to all the kind collectors who replied to my posting. It looks like I'll have a chance to see 5 of the 6 catalogs I mentioned that I hadn't seen (plus several other Mastro ones I was not aware of from as early as 1996); that now leaves only the April 1994 Sotheby's one as a Mastro or Sotheby's catalog that I know has 19th-century related stuff by virtue of containing at least one item related to Cap Anson.

In answer to Julie's question, my definition of "usual fare" are items that are part of a baseball card set that was mass produced, even if few of those items have survived. I am mostly interested in items that tend to appear in catalogs no more than once and specifically relate to major league baseball or the top teams of the pre-1876 era (as opposed to generic items like a clock or lantern of no baseball player in particular, although a Leland's auction catalog 1880s sled that is associated with Mike Kelly did make the cut for my Kelly book). I do find it interesting, in perusing catalogs, that certain seemingly one-of-a-kind items appear more than once, sometimes as close together as a few years apart. I always wonder whether the item didn't sell or whether someone is reselling it; it would be interesting, in either case, if catalogs contained a blurb to that effect, because then the public would know that there are not two rare copies of the same item.

Thanks again.