NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 05-14-2017, 09:15 AM
Carl Lamendola

Default How the Internet Changed Collecting

Check out this article

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/ab...05/abu0402/s05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 03:52 PM

I think what they said about recognizing supply has been true of the Giants program I've been collecting - at first they brought a premium on eBay and then when people saw those prices it seemed a lot more hit the market and the prices dropped. I haven't seen that in other areas I collect, but it was true of the regular season games from the 1930s.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:18 AM
Jeff P

Agree the internet has changed things but this article simplifies the effect too much in my opinion.

I would disagree that pricing for all collectibles is readily available and makes it more difficult to get good deals. While true for mainstream cards, pricing data for obscure sets and other types of memorabilia like programs, tickets, photos, etc. is often very hard to find. Also, many memorabilia items on ebay are still either misclassified or misidentified and you can get some really good deals if you have done your research.

You can also get good deals on mainstream items if you are patient. If you look at VCP, you will see that prices swing pretty substantially on most items within a year window. Bargains are available if you are willing to keep trying and not jump at the first auction that comes up.

jeff
Old 05-15-2017, 07:31 AM
Carl Lamendola

I had a dealer with multiple tables at the Strongsville show look me straight in the eyes after looking at the VCP and tell me that my 1964 Kahns HoF Alex Webster PSA 3 was worth $5.50. I sold it for $30 to a dealer two tables away. If a dealer has too look up a card in the VCP they are either (1) in experienced (2) trying to use it as a means to low ball you

Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
I had a dealer with multiple tables at the Strongsville show look me straight in the eyes after looking at the VCP and tell me that my 1964 Kahns HoF Alex Webster PSA 3 was worth $5.50. I sold it for $30 to a dealer two tables away. If a dealer has too look up a card in the VCP they are either (1) in experienced (2) trying to use it as a means to low ball you

LOL, Carl. There was probably one VCP entry for that card from 2010 and he went with 50% of that.

Totally agree with you.

jeff
Old 05-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree with Jeff. I pay more attention to the frequency of sale on VCP than the prices. If the item is plentiful I hold out for a bargain. If the only sale is years ago I will move on it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-16-2017, 08:49 AM
Mike Dugan

I can honestly say that the internet brought back into collecting. In 1992 I was fed up with several aspects of the hobby. The net solved most of those problems.

I was at a point where it was getting tough to finish sets like my T206's and the SP's from the 1952 Bowman large. You just couldn't find them and when they were in a SCD ad by the time my issue arrived and I would call they were already sold.

Another factor was that I really didn't enjoy many of the folks on the dealer side of the hobby, it had evolved into a quick buck, sleazy element it seemed. Not much fun to be around.

When I discovered eBay the only limiting factor was how much disposable income was on hand. Things seem to have evolved back to a much kinder, gentlemanly hobby or maybe I am just lucky these days with the people I deal with?
Old 05-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Steve

Agree with Mike that internet sales seem to have made dealing with "dealers" much more tolerable than it was twenty to thirty years ago. I wonder if that is due to people generally feeling less anxious and/or suspicious in an electronic transaction, as opposed to face-to-face. Either party can take their time, study the merchandise and make an informed judgement more easily in the former situation than the latter. On the other hand, I admit to a few guilty memories of buying stuff at card shows back in the early '80's, where a dealer or two may have taken a snack or smoke break, leaving his sig-other to watch the goods, and that person, due to ignorance or indifference, gave me a great deal on merchandise that I wasn't expecting. But, overall, I believe dealing has been greatly enhanced by advances in technology.