NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-15-2016, 04:20 PM

Default When was the end of Junk era?

When would you say the end of the junk era was? Was there a specific release that in hindsight is the beginning of this modern era? Would you say the introduction of refractors and autos signaled the end?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I don't think it has stopped. Refractors came out in 1993 and autographs in pack 1996 . Both of those years were well in to the over production era. I've heard from the old timers that 1968 on is considered over production era.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Bob F.

Junk era is still going on and won't ever stop.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Al Richter

When did it start ? I bet a really big asteroid or the Yellowstone super volcano could stop it
Old 07-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Sean Sullivan

The junk era ended?!?!

So I can collect new stuff again?!?!?

Oh, nope. I bought a pack at WalMart today (my first in over a year, I think), and it was all still junk.
Meh.

Give me a pack of '91 Topps or '89 Fleer any day over this crap.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I don't think it has stopped. Refractors came out in 1993 and autographs in pack 1996 . Both of those years were well in to the over production era. I've heard from the old timers that 1968 on is considered over production era.
In pack autos started in 1990 for major sets. Maybe earlier for some of the smaller producers?

While a lot of the stuff produced now still sort of falls under the "junk" category, there's a fair amount that I think has some upside. Yes, most sets are produced in a wide array of versions, which really skew our impressions. If there's 10 sets and each has some version numbered to 10 of each card, it looks as if a card that there's only 10 of isn't really all that hard to find.
So the demand gets watered down - even player collectors just shrug and leave it on the wantlist but move on to the next set issued.

Trying to find some stuff a few years afterward is more challenging than it might seem. The first set of Signature Rookies Hockey had signed promos, usually numbered at less than 500. I haven't gone after them as seriously as I could, but I still haven't even put together a solid checklist. For that matter I still see SR stuff I didn't know existed (And I have doubts about some of it. )

And the differences caused by cards being produced in multiple places or changes in production have led to some versions of even the junkiest stuff that are far less common.

Once the group of people collecting cards from the late 80s-early 90s gets beyond the "OMG it's the joe nobody ROOOOKIEEEE!!!" stage some of that will have some value. (And I freely admit that that may never happen )

To me the end of what I call the junk wax era was either right after the strike in 94, or around the time a lot of the formerly big card producers went under. So roughly 2005-2009 ish. Not a hard end, but a fading out of the companies that couldn't sustain enough business to keep the license.

Steve B
Old 07-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Your right Steve the first game used cards came out in 1996.( got it twisted )

I feel it never stopped for this reason.
Let's say a topps chrome card of Bryce Harper for example.
The regular chrome who knows how many they make of that. Then there are
The different color variations. Who really knows of the final number of topps chrome Bryce Harper.

As in the 80s and 90s I'm sure some real gems will shine through in years to come. But if you think a base topps 2015 Mike trout will be like owning a mantle in 50 years, well I highly doubt it will be anywhere near. It will more likely be like owing a 1994 topps ken Griffey Jr.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Your right Steve the first game used cards came out in 1996.( got it twisted )

I feel it never stopped for this reason.
Let's say a topps chrome card of Bryce Harper for example.
The regular chrome who knows how many they make of that. Then there are
The different color variations. Who really knows of the final number of topps chrome Bryce Harper.

As in the 80s and 90s I'm sure some real gems will shine through in years to come. But if you think a base topps 2015 Mike trout will be like owning a mantle in 50 years, well I highly doubt it will be anywhere near. It will more likely be like owing a 1994 topps ken Griffey Jr.
That's pretty much correct for most stuff. If the culture ever moves past the current one where it's chasing inserts in whatever the "hot" new product is and very limited collecting - Player collecting, rookie collecting, then it might change.

One thing that's interesting is that with numbered cards and stated odds it's possible to get a reasonable idea of the press run of the base sets, and sometimes the non- numbered inserts too. It's tough on some of them, because of the different products - Retail, hobby, blaster, bonus packs, etc with different odds. plus there's however many additional in factory sets.

Some of the better retail sets don't have shockingly large print runs for the base cards.

The stuff I think could have a chance is mostly the retail exclusives, like the Gypsy Queen special SP minis that are in Blasters, maybe exclusive to Target. (My local Wal-Mart either doesn't do cards or hides them well. And I haven't checked Toys R Us yet)

Even if they're just in blasters in general, that's a 50 card set that essentially comes in a $20 pack.

Steve B
Old 07-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Personally, without a change in collecting philosophy by modern collectors I think it's going strong and unlikely to end soon.

The obsession with "hits" and serialed cards has killed set collecting. Until I stop seeing collectors opening packs and throwing the commons out as garbage, it's still junk wax time.

Crazy that these packs cost no less than 5 bucks and up into the hundreds and people treat the commons like 80's Topps contest cards.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:53 PM

Haha tough crowd. Well at a certain point topps, upper deck etc stopped over producing sets, yeah? I mean ppl are making art with cut up pieces of the stuff. They certainly aren't doing that with bowman chrome autos.

Why the hate for the new stuff?

I personally got back into the hobby with modern bowmans but getting into vintage now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlis View Post
Haha tough crowd. Well at a certain point topps, upper deck etc stopped over producing sets, yeah? I mean ppl are making art with cut up pieces of the stuff. They certainly aren't doing that with bowman chrome autos.

Why the hate for the new stuff?

I personally got back into the hobby with modern bowmans but getting into vintage now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I don't like collectors calling it junk and/or crap. There are a lot of guys collecting this type of stuff. And, I respect these collectors. I never put them down. I call these cards the shiny stuff, but never say it's crap.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 AM
Rich Klein

Just as an FYI -- the 1st autograph cards in major manufacturer packs were the 1990 Reggie Jackson cards (#d to 2500) by Upper Deck. From that point on, there were a few cards each year and some of the "other" manufacturers did more autographs.

Classic was the biggest name and the most respected of that group with Ken Goldin leading the way by getting Shaq to an exclusive before his rookie season.

Then in 1996 -- The "Signature Series" with one autograph card per pack was released and from that point on -- the autograph card pack market, so to speak, took off and we still have those to this very day
Old 07-18-2016, 07:52 AM
Michael

Couple of things autos became regularly available and production started limiting with tetrad and classic 1992-1993 at least they started printing the pro # on the product still not in what anyone would considered scarce.

Spoiler alert:
We are actually in the spoke card Era now. Spoke cards are happening as we speak it just looks different. Who actually keeps a base card any longer. People bust and throw them in the trash if it's not an auto, rc, or limited print run refractor etc.
What will happen in 30 or 50 years when everyone threw it away. I mean I haven't kept a base card in 20 years.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The initial overproduction started in 1974 when topps moved to a single series set. Until 1980 there are tons of cards but topps' poor QC makes it challenging to find certain cards in 'mint' condition, e.g., 1976 George Brett without print haze or 1975 Garvey without the white dot on his nose or a 1976 Reggie without a white streak on the bottom yellow stripe.

True junk wax started in 1981 and reached its apex in the early 1990s after the insanity of the 1991 Anaheim national.

The irony of it is that 20-30 years out there are some really nice cards of HOFers that are obtainable on the most modest budget even in a PSA 9 holder, if that floats your boat. I've started buying junk era cards of players I like and in designs I find impressive because I am a collector. I picked up one of my favorite junk era cards, 1988 Score Nolan Ryan for a few bucks in PSA 9. I really get a kick out of the more creative parallel issues like the Topps Stadium Club matrix from 1997 or the 1996 Pinnacle Starburst. There are also some incredibly interesting inserts like the intricate die cut cards or the cards make with non-paper materials like acetate or metallic foil. The TSC Midsummer Matchup set is a favorite; the flocked iridescent foil makes for a really striking look.

I completely agree with the criticism of the throwback designs. At least the junk wax manufacturers were trying with new materials and interesting graphics. The revisited designs are just lazy IMO.

The pop art reference is spot on too. Art even met cards when Peter Max did sets for topps. Another issue I now collect.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-18-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I agree. I don't like collectors calling it junk and/or crap. There are a lot of guys collecting this type of stuff. And, I respect these collectors. I never put them down. I call these cards the shiny stuff, but never say it's crap.
Good post.
This happened in comics. About 10 years ago a bunch of people called comics from the 1980s to 1990s crap,but a lot of that stuff sky rocketed in value again because of comic book movies that created new interest.
Believe it or not I see the steroid era guys going up in value again because of nostalgia.
Look at Pokemon it was dead 10 years ago,and now it`s the hottest thing going.
So yeah start loading up on those Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds Jr cards now.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASEBALLCARDGURU View Post
Good post.
This happened in comics. About 10 years ago a bunch of people called comics from the 1980s to 1990s crap,but a lot of that stuff sky rocketed in value again because of comic book movies that created new interest.
Believe it or not I see the steroid era guys going up in value again because of nostalgia.
Look at Pokemon it was dead 10 years ago,and now it`s the hottest thing going.
So yeah start loading up on those Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds Jr cards now.
McGwire rookies in "9" and "10" have gone up substantially in the last year+. He was probably the most iconic player in the mid-90's through 2000 most fans had ever seen. I was one of the fans who came early in '99 to watch him take batting practice in old Tiger Stadium--he hit 4 over the left field roof, including one in left center, and those that came in the upper deck in left where we were sitting still had the force of cannon shots behind them! Other players hitting balls into the same area had theirs landing with a gentle "thunk" in comparison.

I think that the fact that his performance was enhanced with "artificial additives" matter little to younger fans of that time, who are now in their 30's. After all, that's a genie that MLB will never ever get entirely back into its bottle. Some star in Boston is having his career year at age 40? Really? I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night! The number of other players who have ever done that is precisely "zero."

All the best,

Larry
Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlis View Post
When would you say the end of the junk era was? Was there a specific release that in hindsight is the beginning of this modern era? Would you say the introduction of refractors and autos signaled the end?
What end?

May you find happiness in collecting what you like,

Larry