NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 AM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,956
Default

I agree. What I'm trying to say is that there will only ever be a ripple effect for a guy who commands a ripple. I don't think you'll ever see a ripple effect for Enos Slaughter independent of any price any of his cards command on a day. The others won't go up because of a large sale, at least I don't think so.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:06 AM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think you'll ever see a ripple effect for Enos Slaughter.
My dreams are officially crushed
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I don't see a ton of spillover for a lot of players, but I gets it's somewhat logical that as a crown jewel card goes through the roof others will try to grab say the 2nd or 3rd "most special cards" both (a) assuming they too will rise in price and (b) because they've thrown in the towel on ever owning the crown jewel card. Have seen that with Mantle and maybe some Jackie cards. Not many others. I can't see it with more modern players like Jeter and Trout, who have one or two really rare cards. JMHO.
I've been watching this one that is posted in modern and it got me thinking, before this thread, now that it is getting out of reach for many, what is/will be the 2nd most popular card of his to start climbing exponentially?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-SP-Foi...la8&rmvSB=true

Doing a quick Google/E-Bay look, I came up with this one but there are a ton of refractor and other current unique cards of his that currently are commanding more money so who knows for sure?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...-/362316090966
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...-/352347656463

Likely most of his cards will rise despite the current PWCC one but in my opinion, once word gets out what this one sells/sold for, I think it will speed up considerably.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 AM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I've been watching this one that is posted in modern and it got me thinking, before this thread, now that it is getting out of reach for many, what is/will be the 2nd most popular card of his to start climbing exponentially?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-SP-Foi...la8&rmvSB=true

Doing a quick Google/E-Bay look, I came up with this one but there are a ton of refractor and other current unique cards of his that currently are commanding more money so who knows for sure?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...-/362316090966
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...-/352347656463

Likely most of his cards will rise despite the current PWCC one but in my opinion, once word gets out what this one sells/sold for, I think it will speed up considerably.

That SP Foil is a tough card in that grade. Regardless the bid history is total BS and the price is bogus.
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 AM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I've been watching this one that is posted in modern and it got me thinking, before this thread, now that it is getting out of reach for many, what is/will be the 2nd most popular card of his to start climbing exponentially?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-SP-Foi...la8&rmvSB=true

Doing a quick Google/E-Bay look, I came up with this one but there are a ton of refractor and other current unique cards of his that currently are commanding more money so who knows for sure?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...-/362316090966
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...-/352347656463

Likely most of his cards will rise despite the current PWCC one but in my opinion, once word gets out what this one sells/sold for, I think it will speed up considerably.
People will just buy PSA 9s instead or the BGS 9.5s that got rejected by PSA because they were cut small at the factory. That price reflects that only 22 have been graded PSA 10 out of over 100k that were made. Any rise in his cards will be in other grades above 8 of that Jeter and not in other rookie cards with print runs of ~ 1 million. There are ~8600 PSA 8 SP Jeter, so that will always provide a reasonable alternative for someone wanting a Jeter RC.

Last edited by rats60; 05-15-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I agree. What I'm trying to say is that there will only ever be a ripple effect for a guy who commands a ripple. I don't think you'll ever see a ripple effect for Enos Slaughter independent of any price any of his cards command on a day. The others won't go up because of a large sale, at least I don't think so.
I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:29 AM
WWG's Avatar
WWG WWG is offline
Rennie
Re.ne Gal.letti
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
That SP Foil is a tough card in that grade. Regardless the bid history is total BS and the price is bogus.
Here's some past auction prices:

A PSA Gem Mint 10 #279 Jeter sold for $24,450 and $37,000 in 2012 and $33,842 in 2013
A PSA Gem Mint 10 #279 Jeter sold for $37,375 in 2016
A PSA Gem Mint 10 #279 Jeter sold for $54,576 in 2017
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:34 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
That SP Foil is a tough card in that grade. Regardless the bid history is total BS and the price is bogus.
I'm not sure I'm picking up what you're putting down? Are you saying this card is falsely being run up like we experienced in the summer of 16, or something else?
I don't follow his cards at all, (but may now?) so I was fairly unaware (knew a little bit of that) just how tough that foil card is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
People will just buy PSA 9s instead or the BGS 9.5s that got rejected by PSA because they were cut small at the factory. That price reflects that only 22 have been graded PSA 10 out of over 100k that were made. Any rise in his cards will be in other grades above 8 of that Jeter and not in other rookie cards with print runs of ~ 1 million. There are ~8600 PSA 8 SP Jeter, so that will always provide a reasonable alternative for someone wanting a Jeter RC.
I wasn't aware of those numbers so what you say makes sense. Personally, I can still see his cards rising at a decent rate before they settle out or come back down to earth, but it sure will be fun to watch once this PWCC auction is over.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 6,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
My dreams are officially crushed
heh, that's funny.
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
10% off any BIN in my eBay store (user name: exhibitman) for N54 members buying direct from me through this site instead, just PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:48 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWG View Post
Here's some past auction prices:

A PSA Gem Mint 10 #279 Jeter sold for $24,450 and $37,000 in 2012 and $33,842 in 2013
A PSA Gem Mint 10 #279 Jeter sold for $37,375 in 2016
A PSA Gem Mint 10 #279 Jeter sold for $54,576 in 2017
Interesting! I thought what we were seeing with this recent PWCC one was just a new trend. I had no idea this card was selling for so much 5-6 years ago.

With that being said, in reality, the PWCC one doesn't seem really all that crazy now.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safe Wrinkle/Ripple Removal? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 06-18-2008 11:43 AM
How Does Trimming Effect Value? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 09-20-2007 12:57 AM
Effect of Trimming Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 10 03-31-2007 04:58 AM
The Henry Yee Effect Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 09-28-2004 11:20 AM
Pat yourselves on the back - you're having an effect Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 11-10-2002 09:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


ebay GSB