NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default 1979 Topps "Faceless" error

So the question is does this seller really believe this was how this card came from the factory and not realize that someone did this in the after market, or is this person just hoping the buyer believes this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391853850463?ul_noapp=true

Old 08-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Al Richter

I bet this was a swarm of the bugs that got the 59 Brandt card in the Variations thread
Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 AM

That card is actually kind of neat. A full set of these might be perfect for Ben....

Z
Old 08-02-2017, 07:40 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
That card is actually kind of neat. A full set of these might be perfect for Ben....

Z
Ben would know that this was erased by someone after the fact. There is no way to print like this on accident.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Not in '79 anyway. I suppose today there could be some sort of mix-up involving face recognition software.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Jay T.

Hey, I knew Don Hood. That isn't faceless. That is what he actually looked like.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:58 PM

It can go with the Damon Berryhill faceless card and Willie Burton no team on jersey cards

Very rare and very valuable I am sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burtonberry.jpg (79.0 KB, 279 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Al Richter

Is the Berryhill card both faceless and aqueousless ?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Is the Berryhill card both faceless and aqueousless ?
Yes and a steal at $49.95 with the Burton card thrown in.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Not in '79 anyway. I suppose today there could be some sort of mix-up involving face recognition software.
It could* happen, something getting stuck to the paper then coming off would do it. But to have it affect a particular spot so exactly would be nearly impossible unless it was deliberate.

*Could in this case being a sort of scientific could. meaning it's technically possible no matter how incredibly unlikely. Like aliens could be responsible for ufo reports that coincide with the flight path of the Goodyear blimp.
Or I could potentially score a touchdown in the NFL. (Unlikely due to age, slowness, lack of nearly any conditioning at all, and a number of other reasons. )

Steve B
Old 08-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post

Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Ben would know that this was erased by someone after the fact. There is no way to print like this on accident.
That looks like someone painted that on the card. Way too white to be ink removal.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Paul

Its kind of an intriguing card, but in reality it's impossible to print a card like that in 1979 (as an error during actual print production)..The guy selling that card was never a printer that's for sure..or understands the process to 4 colour lithographic printing...But a 1 off card like that is next to impossible to do...Even if the pressmen were drunk at the time..You never know there may actually be someone out there who believes its the "real deal"...
Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 PM

hmmmm....in 79 I was 10 years old and had literally thousands of 1979 Topps Baseball cards...don't remember the faceless Don Hood card. I did come across a few of them the other day cleaning out the garage.

Maybe I should put my 1/1 1979 Topps Gary Carter on Ebay...he's holding a flail instead of a bat...$199 seems like a real steal compared to the Faceless Hood...
Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Last edited by Robs70sCards; 08-02-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Board software thought my joke was so funny it posted it twice.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Jay T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It could* happen, something getting stuck to the paper then coming off would do it. But to have it affect a particular spot so exactly would be nearly impossible unless it was deliberate.

*Could in this case being a sort of scientific could. meaning it's technically possible no matter how incredibly unlikely. Like aliens could be responsible for ufo reports that coincide with the flight path of the Goodyear blimp.
Or I could potentially score a touchdown in the NFL. (Unlikely due to age, slowness, lack of nearly any conditioning at all, and a number of other reasons. )

Steve B
Actually it's four color press. things basically don't stick to the paper, they stick to the printing plates. It would have other colors in it.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTysver View Post
Actually it's four color press. things basically don't stick to the paper, they stick to the printing plates. It would have other colors in it.
Ever have a piece of tape get into the paper stack? Or sweat on a sheet on a very hot day? Or cellophane, or powder, or ..........

LOTS of stuff can get on the paper at various points in the process. Yes, it's usually spotted and removed as defective, or comes off after one color.

And no, I don't think the card is anything but erased.

Steve B
Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
And no, I don't think the card is anything but erased.
Steve B
I 100% disagree, that is rattle can white paint over the face. No way that card looks like that from ink removal in my amateur opinion.

A fun fact. There is no white ink on a baseball card. All the white you see is the white card stock the other 4 colors are printed on. I have been amazed over the years how many advanced collectors thought the white on cards was printed on them.

EDIT: I messaged the seller and asked if it was semi gloss or flat white paint. If they respond I will let everyone know what type of paint it is.

Last edited by bnorth; 08-04-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

If my face was missing I might Don a Hood as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Larry More.y

I wonder how much I can get for my copy....the corners are much sharper on my copy.

Edited to add: note to self: must remember to crop out the eraser from the picture of my wanna be variation card, or just scan next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79 667.jpg (67.7 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 08-04-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I wonder how much I can get for my copy....the corners are much sharper on my copy.

Edited to add: note to self: must remember to crop out the eraser from the picture of my wanna be variation card, or just scan next time.
Awesome card Larry, is it for sale?

Seller got back to me on the original card and said it is semi gloss like the rest of the card. Still says it was factory done. TO me semi gloss means it is paint. The eraser leaves a dull finish unless reglossed.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I 100% disagree, that is rattle can white paint over the face. No way that card looks like that from ink removal in my amateur opinion.

A fun fact. There is no white ink on a baseball card. All the white you see is the white card stock the other 4 colors are printed on. I have been amazed over the years how many advanced collectors thought the white on cards was printed on them.

EDIT: I messaged the seller and asked if it was semi gloss or flat white paint. If they respond I will let everyone know what type of paint it is.
Man, if it's rattlecan, that's a load of masking work . I guess not too bad with the new blue stuff, but still way more work than an eraser.

What would be really funny would be a card erased by the press operator before the glosscoat went on. Maybe a guy mad about the Bump Wills error hype getting back at the hobby.

And just how the heck would we classify a card produced as a prank, not a true variation, but factory? The 81 fleer hand/finger variations which I believe are mischief more than anything else affected a bunch of cards because the plate was probably modified, but a bit of foolery on one card out of millions?

Steve B
Old 08-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Man, if it's rattlecan, that's a load of masking work . I guess not too bad with the new blue stuff, but still way more work than an eraser.

What would be really funny would be a card erased by the press operator before the glosscoat went on. Maybe a guy mad about the Bump Wills error hype getting back at the hobby.

And just how the heck would we classify a card produced as a prank, not a true variation, but factory? The 81 fleer hand/finger variations which I believe are mischief more than anything else affected a bunch of cards because the plate was probably modified, but a bit of foolery on one card out of millions?

Steve B
Actually it is really easy to mask off and use a rattle can. I do it all the time when I make superfractors. I print the image reversed on clear acetate. Then mask off the part I dont want to refract and paint it white. Then assemble the layers.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Ben North

Been messaging with this seller. The replies are priceless. Here is the latest. I sent the seller a picture of savedfrommyspokes awesome version.

The one you just send looks NOTHING like this one. You almost HAVE to see it in person.and why is it "basically impossible" for Topps in 1979 to have factory error? They still make them in 2017!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Al Richter

He is having a limited time price reduction
Old 08-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
He is having a limited time price reduction
I will admit at $79.99 now that is a huge price reduction. Now if they reduce it to $1.99 with free shipping I would buy it just to see how they altered it.