NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Rick Swaine

Default Best way to "browse" ebay?

In addition to specific searches I assume many of you "browse" ebay for bargains and/or entertainment. What methodology do you use? I'm mostly interested in pre-war stuff but also like to pick up oddball items and have a type card collection (up through 1969) that I'm always working on, so I search as follows:

Select Sports memorabilia, cards, ect
Select Cards
Select Baseball - Major League
Select Card Manufacturer - Choose More
Choose Goudey and Not Specified
Select Original/Reprint
Choose Original and Unknown
Select Year
Choose all years up through 1969 (A laborious process!)

This usually produces a list of 2,500 to 3,000 items which I sort by "ending soonest" and check a day or two out. My concerns are: (1) What am I missing? (2) Is there any easier way? (3) How can I exclude the guy that keeps listing those Conlon cards by vintage date?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Frank Wakefield

-(conlon)

But tread cautiously with a thread like this, some Net54ers get militant about their search techniques and cry foul if anyone outs anything. I'm going to send one Net54er some money to compensate him, they feel that they have an investment in their time spent while searching, and to post anything about something they've found is manifestly unfair to them.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Jeff

Default One Tip

that is a real time saver regardless of what "search" methodology you land on is to click the "Auctions Only" tab. That will weed out the almost endless stream of overpriced "Are You a Sucker Today" listings. Granted you may miss the occasional realistically priced card or even a bargain now and then, but if you value your time, it's worth it.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Frank

I will send you my address to send me some money too.

Seriously, if someone searches for 3 hours and finds something it's just and fair to have a bit of an advantage on an item that is found, over someone that didn't search at all. If time equates to money, as the saying goes, then so be it. That's my half cent....

As to the original topic Frank is probably right. Most folks don't discuss the intricate techniques they use. Basically searching on key words and narrowing it down with ebay's tools is what most folks proabably do. There aren't nearly as many unseen bargains as there were 7-9 yrs ago....
Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Jason Berry

I just type in T205 and away I go.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Dan Studebaker

Every Friday I send Leon a bottle of Scotch. I then call him about 11 PM and ask him what he is bidding on for the week. Very time efficient.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Trae Regan

Disclaimer: this is a for profit, affiliate-based, eBay "browsing" setup, but some of you may find it useful, as it's broken down by set. Should probably add an "Auctions Only" filter too, eh?

http://www.prewarauctions.com/

(Affiliate = you click and buy, I get a small percentage of eBay's commission. No cost to you.)

Last edited by T206.org; 06-09-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Once you get to the right sub-sub-sub-category, for god's sake, save it in your favorites in your browser.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Last edited by paul; 06-09-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Alan U

Favorite searches can be saved within ebay too, just as Favorite Sellers can be saved too
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Steve Murray

I, naturally, have zeenut as one of my programed eBay searches. I get an email every morning that new cards have been listed. Problem is that it's always about 24 hours after the cards have been listed.

Best bet, sign up for VCP and insert your Wantlist. I did and received an email within minutes of a card being lsited and was able to snag it before anyone else was aware.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with VCP in any way nor do I have a financial interest in the Company. Wish I could work out of Kauai.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM

I was going to say "VCP" but got beat to posting it. And I don't work for them either.