NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Default What are some of the easier caramel/e-series sets to complete?

Posted By: B Kaz

I have been strictly collecting the t206 series for about a year and a half now. I still love it, but would like to branch out into a set where I stand a snowball's chance of completing it, and for a little diversity. Condition isn't that big a factor for me, and while I am willing to spend a fair amount I don't want to break the bank. I'm just looking for some options you folks might recommend, then pick one I think is the most attractive. I have taken notice of the e-101, and e-96's, but I'm not too fond of the high level of blush and lipstick found on the players in the 96 series.

As always, thanks for any input you can provide.

B Kaz

Old 11-01-2003, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

I think e96 is considered "easy" not because the cards are more commonly found, but because it is the most affordable (No Cobb, Wagner, or Matty).

e90-1's are most commonly found, but the drawbacks are that it is a fairly large set, and it has some rarities which are incredibly tough to find. Also, the Joe Jackson will cost you mucho.

I like e92's for several reasons: there are a variety of different backs...Crofts Candy (with black, blue and red printing) Crofts Cocoa, and Nadja. Some believe each back constitutes a complete set, others collect all backs as part of one set. If I were to start the set, I would go the latter route. Another reason why e92 is a nice set is because of the fabulous colour. There are some truly spectacular cards in this set (see the Oakes and Magee among others). Finally, it is a managable size as well.

Other sets to consider might be e95 (they resemble e96's, you might not like that), e98's ( a little tougher) and e103's (even more tough). I am a novice as well, but these are my observations.

All you'd ever want to know about e cards (and more) is on Pete Calderon's website, definitely a must see:

http://www.caramel-cards.com/cards.html

Old 11-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

The way I went about caramel card collecting was to pick several sets I was interested in, then see which of the expensive (read: Cobb and Wagner) cards came my way, and then focused accordingly.

IMO, E93 and E95 are the easiest caramel sets to complete, especially once you get the Cobb.

E96 doesn't have a Cobb, but there are a couple cards in there that are toughies, and I think they are a little rarer than E93s and 95s.

E102 and E106 are rarer, and have Cobb, but are still doable.

I really like E98--it's a challenge compared to these other sets, but it's not a challenge that will drain your retirement account (well, depending on the size of your retirement account <G>).

Old 11-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I think Ben is right about E92 set, however if you try for all four backs there are 202 cards and 8 Wagners and 3 Cobbs. For a starter the E95's and E96's are best. If you don't like the look of these the E93's and E98's are fairly easy, but expensive because of Cobb, Wagner and other HOFers.

Old 11-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

for a starter set i'd go with the e95s for a nice representation of the hofs...if you're not into the wagners, cobbs, mattys etc. go with the e97s...a little challenging but can be very rewarding with some lesser known players and poses.

Old 11-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

E95 is the easiest if you are talking about availabilty and prices, E93 may be next, E96 is not expensive but finding them without staining is very difficult, i find E98's to be readily available, and E97's while red hot in the market are not that rare just a few key cards are. E94's are similar to the E97's, small supply regularly offered, but completion of a set is a challenge. E92, if you include the gamut of issuers, are readily available, but compiling any one of the "sets" would prove a long term challenge, i think many people shy away from this designation due to the repetitive fronts. E105 mello-mints is a type card set for most, as is E106 which is an abbreviated version of E90-1, which are readily available in lower grades or the more heavily printed runs, but the scarce cards are murder! and lastly we have the E107's breisch-williams' baby. no one has EVER completed this set, some have came close only to be detered by rarity and new discoveries.

most of the E-cards are on a somewhat thinner and/or softer paper stock, making survival very difficult. i would suggest buying a few low grade examples of each to familiarize yourself with the cards and their characteristics and then pick out one that entices you for whatever reason and go for it!!!

they are not becoming easier to find and should appreciate in value ahead of the rest of the vintage card market.

scott

Old 11-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I can't argue with what's been said. As stated, the E95 set will be the easiest set to complete with E93s a close second.

As for E92s: a complete E92 Dockman set is feasible but realize that the other brands are a whole different story. There are rarities that are seen few and far between, same goes for certain E102s.

Scott B:
You said E98s are readily available. Where? C'mon Scott, hook a caramel junkie up.

Old 11-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

You really want to go after Cubs in the e90-3 set wink Really, you do. I say this only becuase I just listed a bunch. Besides, going after just the Cubbies lets you avoid the rarities in the set, and the annoying Gandil card, which isn't really rare. Just happens to be a Black Sox player and in big demand.

Jay

Old 11-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B Kaz

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the information. This will help me out a ton!

Jay, I see you are near Alexandria MN. Used to vacation on Lake Ida and Miltona when I was a kid.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

The fronts look similar and between the two sets you cover most of the era's stars (except Johnson). They can be sort of ugly depending on condition and registration, but some of the cards are among the most attractive in the hobby, especially some of the e95 action shots like Crawford. Regarding Cobb's presence in the various sets - why would you want a set that DID NOT have Cobb? I'm still kicking myself for selling an SGC vgex Cobb.

I suggest the following strategy: collect the e95 and e96 sets, admire your wonderful collection when you're done, then get bored with them and start selling off the nicer ones to me.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

My dopey brother lives here too. He lives in town, I live on Lake Cowdry, just past the fairgrounds. If you like lakes and scanery, it's a great place to live, but not exactly a hotbed for vintage cards

Jay

Old 11-04-2003, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

By all means stay away from the E94 set. Don't buy any or even bid on them.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Administrator

I was ready to pull the trigger when you popped in. So I watched, amused, as you suffered that last-second defeat. I was the underbidder on the violet Cobb...rats.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

Bob,

I second that!

Tim

Old 11-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Administrator

I got my colors wrong - I went after the PSA3 e94 Close green Cobb. How come neither of you were interested? At $1,825 it seemed to be a very good deal. Granted a PSA7 would have been nicer, but also smaller.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I was ready to pull the trigger when you popped in. So I watched, amused, as you suffered that last-second defeat. I was the underbidder on the violet Cobb...rats. >

Amused? Thomascondo was like a locust and bought everything Greg threw up there, regardless of price or condition. Much be nice to have such deep pockets. I thought I was home free on the Speaker, but as so often happens, someone wants to own all the toys and I was blasted out.
The green Cobb WAS nice. Too many irons in the Lipset and Sloate fires or I would have made a serious effort. Great deal for the winner. (Probably thomascondo again, the locust man! ) The violet Cobb by the way may be the toughest card (considering color variations, etc) in the set but it was pretty hammered.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Administrator

I meant amused as in "interestedly watching", not as in "ha ha, Bob got hosed".

Greg should really like me though - I was underbidder on several of his lots last night. After watching the same bidders go through the roof on everything (I bid all night and didn't get a damned thing), I didn't mind in the least consistently adding 15% to their final prices.

Old 11-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Your 0-3 this week. lol ( or 0-13 if you get my drift* ) I have a PSA- 7 Cobb George Close Candy card listed on the PSA registry and there is nothing "smaller" about it bud.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I did a BAD thing yesterday at a local show: I went there hungry, having been skunked in every auction over the last month. Picked up the following:

e90-1: Plank, Collins, Bresnahan
e96: Kling

The Plank and Collins grade GAI 1 poor--they are solid vg cards with a small punch hole each in an unobtrusive place. They looked really nice. The Bresnahan is a GAI 2 for honest wear. The Kling has a nice vg front but an inkstain on the back. But, I've been looking for a Kling for a while, so I couldn't resist it.

Also got a 1940 Play Ball Heilmann. A really nice ex-ex+ card. Looked even better than I thought when I popped it out of the screw down. Mostly white, no creases, a tad o/c.

Paid $260 for all 5 of them.

Funniest card of the day, had to buy it, 1976 Topps Traded Oscar Gamble. Those of you who remember the 70's remember that Oscar had the best 'fro this side of Darnell Hillman (Indiana Pacers). On this card the cap makes him look like he's wearing Mickey Mouse ears. Just the best.

For the error fans, a 1969 Yaz miscut. Yaz has a nice 1/2" of the card above it.