NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-15-2017, 06:13 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Targeted Auction House Web Ads

Surfing along the www during this past year I have been receiving targeted advertising for Heritage initially and just lately Love Of The Game. The only way these would be connected is through my email address: Heritage for whoring my email address in exchange for the Luckey Collection Catalogue (good swap!) and LOTG (Hi Al), as I consigned some cards during their golden years before becoming the industry dynamo they are today (receive their Cat also, another good swap).

I get these ads in some of the most unrelated sites imaginable...and I like it! ( although I can already get this info in my daily Net54 fix). Much better than the sponsored "You Won't Believe What They Look Like Today!" crapola. Hopefully this will be the ad-wave of the future - I could learn to live with it.

Thoughts (even sarcasm and all that) welcome.

Last edited by Paul S; 09-15-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Ben North

I get them from Heritage. They got my address because I pointed out a serious problem in one of their auctions. To their credit they almost instantly fixed the problem.

I lost my eBay account several years ago because of inactivity, I forgot my password. Then changed email providers and forgot my questions answers also. So for the last several years I have just been using my wifes account. I used that account to inform Sean Bassik(SP?) that he had an error in a listing. To his credit also he fixed the problem. Somehow he ended up with my wifes email and sent her several emails advertising his business. After a PM to Sean he fixed that also.

I do wish I would have gotten the Heritage catalog with Loen's collection. Did buy one of my favorite cards from him directly when I noticed he did not send it to HA for that auction.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Surfing along the www during this past year I have been receiving targeted advertising for Heritage initially and just lately Love Of The Game. The only way these would be connected is through my email address: Heritage for whoring my email address in exchange for the Luckey Collection Catalogue (good swap!) and LOTG (Hi Al), as I consigned some cards during their golden years before becoming the industry dynamo they are today (receive their Cat also, another good swap).

I get these ads in some of the most unrelated sites imaginable...and I like it! ( although I can already get this info in my daily Net54 fix). Much better than the sponsored "You Won't Believe What They Look Like Today!" crapola. Hopefully this will be the ad-wave of the future - I could learn to live with it.

Thoughts (even sarcasm and all that) welcome.
Paul you get all those advertisements because you are such an important person in the hobby. I know I have bought many awesome cards from you including my favorite set. So if all else fails you are important to this guy.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:43 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

For the last several years I have done almost all my hobby biz through our BST. When I begin to get targeted ads for Net54, THEN I will be Mr. Bigshot for sure.,,,and Leon (Hi Leon) will thank me handsomely.

Last edited by Paul S; 09-15-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Brandon Bailey

They are called cookies and are based upon your browsing history.
Similar to a grocery card where they send you coupons based upon what you buy or what would compliment what you buy.
Watching, always watching.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBailey View Post
They are called cookies and are based upon your browsing history.
Similar to a grocery card where they send you coupons based upon what you buy or what would compliment what you buy.
Watching, always watching.
Unless I am missing something, they are a little more than just Cookies.

Most times, after I visit a site, I will clear my browsing history/data plus I'll do a Ccleaner run.
Doing both things clears all history.

With these Heritage ads, which I get on Facebook as well, there is something else going on, like a 3rd party or whatever who has purchased this browsing history.
How did they get my FB info, or having it popup when I browse CBC news and others?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Unless I am missing something, they are a little more than just Cookies.

Most times, after I visit a site, I will clear my browsing history/data plus I'll do a Ccleaner run.
Doing both things clears all history.

With these Heritage ads, which I get on Facebook as well, there is something else going on, like a 3rd party or whatever who has purchased this browsing history.
How did they get my FB info, or having it popup when I browse CBC news and others?
Browsing History and Cookies are two different things: History is just the website URL (address) that gets you to the website only. Cookies are meant to "enhance" that experience by storing your browsing habits and trends - as well as other things such as: (singular example) You use your Favorites (or History) section to get to Net54. Previously, you have checked the "remember password" box. In this case it is the cookie (not your history) and website agreeing "We be cool". No manual typing password. When you clear your history you are not clearing your cookies. There is usually a separate option for that. If you Clear All Cookies you will hence need to then type your password for every site you have previously checked the "remember password" option.

(Unless you actually DO clear all your cookies upon cleanup. Then forget everything I just said )

Last edited by Paul S; 09-15-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I get them from Heritage. They got my address because I pointed out a serious problem in one of their auctions. To their credit they almost instantly fixed the problem.

I lost my eBay account several years ago because of inactivity, I forgot my password. Then changed email providers and forgot my questions answers also. So for the last several years I have just been using my wifes account. I used that account to inform Sean Bassik(SP?) that he had an error in a listing. To his credit also he fixed the problem. Somehow he ended up with my wifes email and sent her several emails advertising his business. After a PM to Sean he fixed that also.

I do wish I would have gotten the Heritage catalog with Loen's collection. Did buy one of my favorite cards from him directly when I noticed he did not send it to HA for that auction.
Send me your address (PM it) if you want one of my collection catalogs.... I have a few extras...
LL
Old 09-16-2017, 09:02 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Browsing History and Cookies are two different things: History is just the website URL (address) that gets you to the website only. Cookies are meant to "enhance" that experience by storing your browsing habits and trends - as well as other things such as: (singular example) You use your Favorites (or History) section to get to Net54. Previously, you have checked the "remember password" box. In this case it is the cookie (not your history) and website agreeing "We be cool". No manual typing password. When you clear your history you are not clearing your cookies. There is usually a separate option for that. If you Clear All Cookies you will hence need to then type your password for every site you have previously checked the "remember password" option.

(Unless you actually DO clear all your cookies upon cleanup. Then forget everything I just said )
I use to use automatic password fill ins but learned that was another avenue for hackers and the like?
When I use Ccleaner, which is quite often, it clears everything, including history and cookies.

Whatever is going on, either happens before those security/cleaner things are used, or, like I am thinking, our info is being shared/purchased/used by a 3rd party or something like that?
Seems other things are going on lately as well.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244964

I just went into Facebook again, and there was an E-Bay add showing all the previous cards I had looked at last night??
I have never seen E-Bay on FB before and I have never used E-Bay while on FB?

I have also noticed lately, which I am getting tired of, is the amount of advertising that is popping up on FB! I can't even watch a vid a friend has posted without it stopping part way through to show an advertisement/ad. It won't let you skip it or fast forward it, it forces you to watch it if you want to see the rest of your friends vid.

Imo, things are getting worse as far as privacy goes. Just when you think our personal info is somewhat safe, we see things like this which only leaves me to believe things are a lot worse than originally thought and as far as privacy goes, we have zilch while on the internet.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Brandon V.

Quote:
Whatever is going on, either happens before those security/cleaner things are used, or, like I am thinking, our info is being shared/purchased/used by a 3rd party or something like that?
There is a plethora of ways to identify you without cookies. Just the state of the Internet today.

Last edited by MrSeven; 09-16-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeven View Post
There is a plethora of ways to identify you without cookies. Just the state of the Internet today.
Instead of getting better, despite all the info on how to protect your identity, I find it is getting worse everyday.

Curious, do you guys state side also receive spam/harassing phone calls? About once a week we receive a call about getting our ducts cleaned. Another one is someone stating they are from Computer Central telling us our computer has been hacked.

It's clear to me our phone number is out there as a possible target so they keep on trying.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Brandon V.

Quote:
Curious, do you guys state side also receive spam/harassing phone calls? About once a week we receive a call about getting our ducts cleaned. Another one is someone stating they are from Computer Central telling us our computer has been hacked.
I had the "IRS" call tier 3 IT support at a Fortune 500 company just last week.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Instead of getting better, despite all the info on how to protect your identity, I find it is getting worse everyday.

It's clear to me our phone number is out there as a possible target so they keep on trying.
We used to get the phone calls all the time when we had a land line. I actually liked them. The idiots that call are fun to play with on the phone. I would either try to keep them on the phone as long as possible till they would actually hang up on me or say just a minute my wife takes care of all that stuff I will get her. Then I would just sit the phone down and see how long they would wait till they hung up.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:29 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
I had the "IRS" call tier 3 IT support at a Fortune 500 company just last week.
You sure it wasn't Equifax asking for advice?
Old 09-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Brandon V.

Quote:
You sure it wasn't Equifax asking for advice?
Nearly 40 year employee on his last week before retirement relished in keeping one of these scammers on the line for a good two hours.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
We used to get the phone calls all the time when we had a land line. I actually liked them. The idiots that call are fun to play with on the phone. I would either try to keep them on the phone as long as possible till they would actually hang up on me or say just a minute my wife takes care of all that stuff I will get her. Then I would just sit the phone down and see how long they would wait till they hung up.
We have a landline which I use almost all of the time. I can't stand cell phones. I toy with the crazy callers too....Especially the scammers. They are real fun as when they find out you are messing with them they will go bonkers on you. I LOL everytime before I hang up.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Nearly 40 year employee on his last week before retirement relished in keeping one of these scammers on the line for a good two hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We have a landline which I use almost all of the time. I can't stand cell phones. I toy with the crazy callers too....Especially the scammers. They are real fun as when they find out you are messing with them they will go bonkers on you. I LOL everytime before I hang up.
Good for you guys! I also like toying with them but it did bite me once as the scammer repeatedly called back for over an hour. I laughed it all off however as I knew I got him good!

There are some funny vids on Youtube where other's, like us, also have some fun with them. I particularly like this one from Tom Mabe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

I suppose, like dealing with less than desirable collector card sellers/dealers, these scams will continue as honest people get sucked in quite often which keeps these people in business, sadly.
$9,000 lost, alone was mentioned in this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpY-qr2zJY
Old 02-04-2018, 02:41 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Have been getting a few targeted advertising ads from Goldin this week. I've only ever gone to their site to take a peek now and then, never given them any personal info. Not that it's a big deal to me, just curious. Can they obtain this from my IP/ISP address?

Last edited by Paul S; 02-04-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

A lot of the ads are run by google. I browse sites, and the ads show up on other sites and on FB and even on my phone and tablet, which I've never used to look at those sites.
It's a bit spooky but cool all at once.

The fake Microsoft guys are loads of fun.
"your computer is infested with virus"
"which one?"
"Your computer"
"Umm.. right, which one"
"Your windows 7 or 8 or 10 computer"
"Well that narrows it down! which one?"
"Your windows computer"
"Hey, have you ever heard of Who's on first?"
"No, and your computer is infested, it's wery serious!"
"Ok then, which one?"

Had one guy for 20 minutes before I told him he was too stupid to help and had no idea what he was doing.
Then his supervisor came on and called me a M-F-er.
I said something appropriately colorful about exactly what his liked and got sworn at in some Indian dialect for a while.
Whish I could have taped that one
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I wish the MS-styole phonies would call me! Seems much more fun than targeted ads. I'd refer them to the auction house of my choice