NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 AM

What a game! I'm glad Severino will get another shot to make up for his effort. I was worried the Yankees would lose and he'd carry something like that into next season.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:44 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
What a game! I'm glad Severino will get another shot to make up for his effort. I was worried the Yankees would lose and he'd carry something like that into next season.
he will still carry it over unless makes up for it later.

Thats about the worst pitching performance you can have, especially for a 1 and done situation....Kershaw gets it bad when he gives up 3 runs in 6 innings in a game 4 situation... (1 or 2 of the runs unearned) ..imagine if that happened to him...he would never live it down even if won 9 cy youngs
Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Matt

That image of Judge rounding first after the homerun, nothing but sheer childlike joy. What fun to watch.

After the historic rookie season he put together, only one curiosity remained: could he step up to the ultimate proving grounds of Yankee Stadium in October? He answered that in his first playoff game, with a resounding yes.

Yanks are playing with house money this season, so if this enthusiastic young group can scrap out a couple wins and make it competitive versus the reigning AL champs, that would be cool.

I hope to see Severino rebound in the DS; if he settles his nerves and trusts his talent he will be ok. I can only imagine what it's like to be on a stage like the playoffs, let alone at Yankee stadium— which dovetails with a big round of applause for the likes of Chad Green and D-Rob, who performed under enormous pressure.

Last edited by MattyC; 10-04-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Bad inning. I wouldn't make too much of it really, certainly not yet.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-04-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:18 PM

Less than one inning
Old 10-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Mike

I have no doubt Sevy will rebound in the ALDS. Has Girardi announced the rotation? You have to believe Sonny Gray gets the ball for game one. After? I would think Tanaka and CC gets starts. I believe CC deserves a start in the ALDS after the season he had. Would love to see CC return next year on a Pettitte like one year contract, but there may not be a spot for him, especially if the Yankees are going to give Chance Adams a chance (no pun intended) to win a rotation spot out of spring training. You would think Tanaka doesn't opt out after the season he's had, so that would be Sevy, Tanaka, Gray & Montgomery for 4 spots, unless Monty, Cessa & Adams compete against each other.

Judge has the ROTY locked up, in my opinon. Will get some votes for MVP, but I think Altuve will get that award. There are a ton of Facebook haters who mock the strikeouts. Met fans believe Conforto is the better player to boot. Not sure about that one.

Mike
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Count me out on CC. This was his last hurrah. It was the best he's capable of pitching and I didn't see anything this year that suggested he would be able to replicate it one more time. In my opinion it would be a mistake to sign him.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:59 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
That image of Judge rounding first after the homerun, nothing but sheer childlike joy. What fun to watch.

After the historic rookie season he put together, only one curiosity remained: could he step up to the ultimate proving grounds of Yankee Stadium in October? He answered that in his first playoff game, with a resounding yes.

Yanks are playing with house money this season, so if this enthusiastic young group can scrap out a couple wins and make it competitive versus the reigning AL champs, that would be cool.

I hope to see Severino rebound in the DS; if he settles his nerves and trusts his talent he will be ok. I can only imagine what it's like to be on a stage like the playoffs, let alone at Yankee stadium— which dovetails with a big round of applause for the likes of Chad Green and D-Rob, who performed under enormous pressure.
I had a great time watching that game. What a playoff debut for Judge. It doesn't get much better than that. The Indians will be tough but I'm looking forward to seeing how Judge and the rest of the Yankees do. I think they have a chance to pull off the upset.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Sean Sullivan

That was a fantastic game. I was standing up the whole time. The bullpen was amazing.

When your leadoff hitter is hitting them out, you know it is a dangerous lineup.
I love CC, but I think his knee isn't going to give him any more than this season.

I cannot wait for the Cleveland series. I think it is going to be a dogfight.
I hope Judge crushes a few more.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I had a great time watching that game. What a playoff debut for Judge. It doesn't get much better than that. The Indians will be tough but I'm looking forward to seeing how Judge and the rest of the Yankees do. I think they have a chance to pull off the upset.
The Yankees scare me. They looked really good/confident last night and that will carry over when they play the Indians.

I also believe it is going to be a battle.

Go Indians!
Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

You certainly have to give the edge on paper to Cleveland with their pitching but it's a short baseball series so who knows.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-04-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Matt

I think any Yankees or Sox fans gotta root for a Yanks-Sox ALCS.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Jonathan Sterling

NO Yankees fan would ever root for anything else but a Red Sox loss. Great day to watch baseball 4 games all meaningful.. Go Yankees.. is Gary Sanchez going to spend his career in the shadow of Judge.?..hope not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171006_183617.jpg (77.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_183554.jpg (73.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 10-06-2017, 08:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You certainly have to give the edge on paper to Cleveland with their pitching but it's a short baseball series so who knows.
The Encarnacion injury did not look good at all!

Huge loss for Cleveland, which is going to hurt!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
The Encarnacion injury did not look good at all!

Huge loss for Cleveland, which is going to hurt!
That looked like it really hurt, especially the slow motion replays. Hope it is nothing serious.

GO Yankees, you need 3 in a row now.

Last edited by bnorth; 10-06-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That looked like it really hurt, especially the slow motion replays. Hope it is nothing serious.

It looked like a season ending injury to me, but we'll see?

Unbelievable comeback by the Indians. Girardi will forever be remembered for not calling a review of the hit batsman if they lose these series. GS from Lindor right after and it was definitely a game changer.

The Yankees are more than capable of coming back from 2 games down but they are definitely in tough.

Houston looks unstoppable. Boston is done, imo, barring any miracle.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I loved Girardi's answer to why he did not call for review. " AS a catcher I did not want to break the pitchers rhythm" bases loaded last guy from hit batter and he did not want to break that rhythm. And it hurt twice as bad when Hargrove won his challenge at second base later...
All baseball fans live with Heartbreak and Glory. 1960 Game 7 , 2001 game 7, 2004...well. But 27 World series Championships Bucky Dent, Aaron Boone. Balance that. And this new group I am sure will keep us on the edge of our seats for the next decade.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:

Someone (I forget who) once said, "It ain't over 'till it's over."
Old 10-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
NO Yankees fan would ever root for anything else but a Red Sox loss. Great day to watch baseball 4 games all meaningful.. Go Yankees.. is Gary Sanchez going to spend his career in the shadow of Judge.?..hope not
That jersey is AWESOME.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Thanks Sean got it from a Steiner Auction when he was on DL 80% discount from what Steiner sells it for now.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

another big hit for judge.

was 0-11 before that for the series but hardly anyone ever on base for those at bats..

can we all agree that just a few hits make up for tons of bad at bats....its clear he wins a star amount of games for you

Trevor Baur already out of the game gives up 4 runs...not not 6 innings later when up 7......but in second inning when it was 0-0..theres a difference..

(yes no runs earned but whip of over 5.00)

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-09-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Bad is Good and Good is Bad???

I'm just plain confused by your arguments Jake,

Post season Kershaw tosses four gopher balls in his start and you support him
and your big stick Judge strikes out 9 times in his first 15 hitless at bats, including 4 walks,
and you support him when he finally makes contact.

Pray tell, what argument would you use if
Kershaw struck out 9 of the first 15 batters he faced and
Judge hit 4 home runs in the first three games of the Cleveland series?

I can't imagine.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-09-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:27 AM

I know Judge has been getting caught looking but in my opinion the umpire crew for the Yankees / Indians series is one of the worst I've ever seen. They'll call anything a strike. The extra innings game was like watching a little league game where the ump just wants to go home.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:47 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I know Judge has been getting caught looking but in my opinion the umpire crew for the Yankees / Indians series is one of the worst I've ever seen. They'll call anything a strike. The extra innings game was like watching a little league game where the ump just wants to go home.
Also Judge has rarely been at bat when runners have been on base. He also has made a big defensive play in the series. 4 walks are just as good as a hit with nobody on base. You can definitely make up several 0-fers with a good game. Being a huge part in winning one game in a 5 game playoff series as a position player is what a star does. Yea to win 2-3 games as position player is better but just winning one is huge.

As to Kershaw. again, 6.1 innings and 4 earned is still decent when your team is up 7... one better start on his next start, his 'stats' will be fine...... he hasnt lost any games for the dodgers

severino was horrid in a game which normally loses the game for the yankees and won a game....im sure his total stats are great but he has pitched no better than kershaw for example

Livan Hernandez won MVP with just two wins in a 7 game series and his stats were worse than Kershaw's one lone start this year....the dodgers again are into the next round so the narrative can easily change by season end...lets wait till the series is over before going on one start that wasnt bad considering the average starting pitcher start in this years playoffs has got to be under 4 innings..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-10-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Matt

Attended games 3 and 4. What an atmosphere.

Judge’s Game 3 catch was beyond clutch— saved the season.

And working an 0-2 count to 3-2 and then delivering the two-out knockout blow to Bauer was huge; if Bauer escapes that and goes on to settle down, who knows what happens. Getting Bauer out that early was key.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Nice, I was at game 3 too. It was the first time I'd been to a playoff game at the new stadium. The crowd went nuts when Bird hit that homer, but you really do notice the small things sometimes. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but that old stadium used to really move when people got excited. The entire stadium shook. The new one is just not the same.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:54 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Was at the game, last night, game 4. It was rocking last night!

Definitely an electric playoff atmosphere, great game!
Old 10-10-2017, 03:56 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Nice, I was at game 3 too. It was the first time I'd been to a playoff game at the new stadium. The crowd went nuts when Bird hit that homer, but you really do notice the small things sometimes. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but that old stadium used to really move when people got excited. The entire stadium shook. The new one is just not the same.
Maybe a little less noise being a low scoring game possibly?

Also, it is true that the seats are further back in new stadium, and is more open to walk around, so different acoustics, probably doesn't get as loud in new stadium.

Last night was loud though!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Mike

Best part of that catch was keeping the ball out of Zack Hample's glove.

Mike
Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 PM
je.sse @rnot

Not a great statistical series for Judge, but he came up big in a couple of important spots and they got the win. An impressive performance by the Yankees. Looking forward to seeing how they do against the Astros.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:28 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

16 strikeouts in 20 ABs in the ALDS. That is amazing. In his last AB, he had 2 strikes and barely hit it 40 feet. And yet the Yanks still won the series.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:19 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
16 strikeouts in 20 ABs in the ALDS. That is amazing. In his last AB, he had 2 strikes and barely hit it 40 feet. And yet the Yanks still won the series.
And he was only instrumental in 2 victories in a best of 5 ...amazing his team won a best of 5!

Striking out with nobody on base with 2 out isnt such a big deal......better than hitting the first pitch and making an out.....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-12-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Larry

It will be quite interesting to see how he does next year.

Regards,

Larry
Old 10-14-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
And he was only instrumental in 2 victories in a best of 5 ...amazing his team won a best of 5!

Striking out with nobody on base with 2 out isnt such a big deal......better than hitting the first pitch and making an out.....
And he cost his team a game by not hitting the cut off man.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:05 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
And he cost his team a game by not hitting the cut off man.
Get real. Gary could also just have caught that and put the tag on. If you’re trying to hang that loss on Judge you have an agenda.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Get real. Gary could also just have caught that and put the tag on. If you’re trying to hang that loss on Judge you have an agenda.
Can't hang that loss on Judge. The whole team looked like it was going out of the way to lose both games. It has been really hard to watch.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Can't hang that loss on Judge. The whole team looked like it was going out of the way to lose both games. It has been really hard to watch.
correct. We will see what happens in game 3.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

If New York doesn’t win a couple of more games, Alfonso Soriano’s record of 26 post-season strikeouts may not be in jeopardy after all.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
If New York doesn’t win a couple of more games, Alfonso Soriano’s record of 26 post-season strikeouts may not be in jeopardy after all.
HaHa, I loved Soriano and was even a little upset when the Yankees traded him for A-Rod, but yeah, he was not a very good high leverage situation playoff hitter.

At least Judge makes the pitchers work the count. Soriano would just swing at 3 pitches in the dirt and walk back to the bench. If he even made contact it was because the pitcher made a mistake, or they hadn't quite figured out yet that they didn't actually have to pitch to him, to get him out.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Dave

..........and is it just me, or has Judge's strike zone been huuuuuuge, during the Playoffs..........I mean much bigger then normal?

Even if he's not hitting the ball, I feel like he should have at least a half dozen more walks then he does.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
HaHa, I loved Soriano and was even a little upset when the Yankees traded him for A-Rod, but yeah, he was not a very good high leverage situation playoff hitter.

At least Judge makes the pitchers work the count. Soriano would just swing at 3 pitches in the dirt and walk back to the bench. If he even made contact it was because the pitcher made a mistake, or they hadn't quite figured out yet that they didn't actually have to pitch to him, to get him out.
However, in 2003 in addition to 26 Ks, Alfonso had 16 hits (in 71 ABs) and had 9 RBIs.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
..........and is it just me, or has Judge's strike zone been huuuuuuge, during the Playoffs..........I mean much bigger then normal?

Even if he's not hitting the ball, I feel like he should have at least a half dozen more walks then he does.
You may have hit upon the answer to the following questions.

Why did Wilt Chamberlain not excel in baseball?

How long a bat would Manute Bol need to hit the curve ball?

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Ben North

Quote:

It is the whole Yankee team. The Astro pitchers are getting a ton of low and outside pitches called as strikes. It is almost like Greg Maddox with his insanely huge strike zone is still pitching.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:55 PM

The officiating during the Cleveland series was some of the worst I've ever seen. They were calling anything close a strike, like it was a 4 hour little league game or something. It must all be extremely frustrating for Judge because he's worked so hard to lay off the outside pitch and then has to watch it get called for a strike day in, day out. A lot of his K's have been looking.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:

Absolutely, I hate to try an make excuses but they've been calling balls bellow his knees as strikes all postseason.

He's getting penalized for being a large human. His knees start higher up!

Last edited by yanksfan09; 10-16-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 PM

I dunno if I should grade these 2 cards that I have of his that are numbered to 50. Or just keep them?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
The officiating during the Cleveland series was some of the worst I've ever seen. They were calling anything close a strike, like it was a 4 hour little league game or something. It must all be extremely frustrating for Judge because he's worked so hard to lay off the outside pitch and then has to watch it get called for a strike day in, day out. A lot of his K's have been looking.
Yea I noticed a pretty liberal strike zone in the games I saw. At least the umps were consistent calling anything within a few inches a strike for both teams. Nice to see Judge and the Yankees getting back on track tonight. Another comeback would be great to see.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Yea I noticed a pretty liberal strike zone in the games I saw. At least the umps were consistent calling anything within a few inches a strike for both teams. Nice to see Judge and the Yankees getting back on track tonight. Another comeback would be great to see.
Judge also coming through with men on base.... knocking in multiple RBIs in meaningful situations with 2 outs...really cancels out ks with nobody on base

zero left on base when Judge made outs in game 3... and another walk
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Judge also coming through with men on base.... knocking in multiple RBIs in meaningful situations with 2 outs...really cancels out ks with nobody on base

zero left on base when Judge made outs in game 3... and another walk
He's the greatest - no doubt.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
He's the greatest - no doubt.
he is the worst....easy to hit 50+ homers... of course next 0-4, hes even lower than the worst..