NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2024, 08:11 PM
Eric Perry

Default Kurt's Card Care

At the time I'm posting this, Kurt is on the Sports Card Live YouTube Channel

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-13-2024, 08:11 PM
Eric Perry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdUEXvlt-0

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 04-13-2024, 09:03 PM
Mike Henry

My takeaway from his comments is that: (1) he uses chemicals; (2) he hasn't researched whether stains or wrinkles will reappear, but he doesn't really think so; (3) screw the haters, because my product is popular.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

People like this, and like minded people doing similar things, can always justify themselves. Eff him, my two cents.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-13-2024 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:09 PM
Eric Perry

Before tuning in, I didn’t really care for the product or its impact on the hobby. After listening to roughly 30 minutes, my opinion worsened a bit.

I turned it off shortly thereafter. Kurt just didn’t hold my interest.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 04-14-2024, 12:33 AM

Kurt's Card Care - sounds like where cards are sent when their parents are off at work trying to afford the high cost of having cards in the first place.

Brian
Old 04-14-2024, 12:18 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I know Im in the minority and have an unpopular opinion but I think as long as nothing is added to the card or trimmed then I have no problem with cleaning or removing wrinkles. Just IMO
Old 04-14-2024, 01:06 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Listened to him for about 10 minutes - I must have dyslexia in my ears
Old 04-14-2024, 09:04 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I know Im in the minority and have an unpopular opinion but I think as long as nothing is added to the card or trimmed then I have no problem with cleaning or removing wrinkles. Just IMO
Not so sure you are in the minority...even here on the board. I am not in favor of it but I would have no issues with it at all if people would be honest about what they did prior to offering the cards to us. Then I can make the choice knowing what they know.

As far as Kurt is concerned, I feel he is intentionally misleading as to what he is doing to his cards and what his secret potion can do from the limited videos I could stand watching all the way through. When heavy wrinkles/creases that do not break the surface of the paper vanish from just from being soaked I have to call BS.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:43 PM
octavio ranzola

Guys creepy sorry
Old 04-15-2024, 08:39 AM
James M.

Quote:
I don't think that's neccesarily an unpopular opinion, but it does ruffle feathers. We are talking about an industry now, where grading has completely taken over, and the higher the number on the slab, the higher the price of the card, regardless of what condition the actual card is/what was done to the card in the past.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

It's a big deal and shouldn't be done ever unless it's plain water being used to remove excess foreign material, or from a scrapbook.

There are cards in slabs that were cleaned with chemicals now showing signs years later of regression (stains coming back, creases popping back up etc. And no pressing out creases never truly removes them) and in my opinion pouring chemicals on paper probably accelerates natural deterioration of the paper. Watch Orlandos video of his card he bought that had no stain originally but now shows the nasty stain that was chemically removed years prior.

Not to mention the clear loss in clarity that occurs. Sure the cards look brighter, but dramatic detail is lost, again showcased perfectly in Orlandos video. I can see it the most around the subjects face it is almost akin to taking a card that is perfectly focused to slightly out of focus.

https://youtu.be/KYCkxXUb9u8

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; Yesterday at 12:54 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
You may feel like this is a minority opinion because of the breakdown of collectors who participate in this forum, but I assure you that you are in fact among the majority in this hobby. Most people have no issue with this stuff.
Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
It's a big deal and shouldn't be done ever unless it's plain water being used to remove excess foreign material, or from a scrapbook.

There are cards in slabs that were cleaned with chemicals now showing signs years later of regression (stains coming back, creases popping back up etc. And no pressing out creases never truly removes them) and in my opinion pouring chemicals on paper probably accelerates natural deterioration of the paper. Watch Orlandos video of his card he bought that had no stain originally but now shows the nasty stain that was chemically removed years prior.

Not to mention the clear loss in clarity that occurs. Sure the cards look brighter, but dramatic detail is lost, again showcased perfectly in Orlandos video. I can see it the most around the subjects face it is almost akin to taking a card that is perfectly focused to slightly out of focus.

https://youtu.be/KYCkxXUb9u8
I like Orlando, but he doesn't know what he's talking about in that video. The stain was always there. You can see it in the before photo. The images he posted for before and after just use drastically different settings for contrast, brightness, exposure, etc.

At one point, he holds the PSA graded copy next to the SGC copy and claims that any color differences they have are due to "chemicals" being used on the card (nevermind the fact that the one he claims was altered actually has *better* color). This is of course nonsense. Then he starts talking about how if the stain was present when PSA graded it then they would have given it a 2 and not a 6. Again, this is nonsense and demonstrates remarkable ignorance of PSA's grading standards. They regularly assign 6s to stained cards even to this day. I could post numerous examples of them.

Most cards that were removed from scrapbooks like this one were simply removed with water. If the glue is water soluble, it will come out easily with just water. No "harsh chemicals" necessary. If the glue is not water soluble, then you would need a solvent that is so harsh that it would destroy the card.

Furthermore, this claim that we don't know the long term effects of soaking cards and that it poses serious risks is also nonsense. People have been soaking cards for more than a century. There is a long established history of the effects of soaking cards. There are millions of soaked cards in slabs. Properly cleaning and soaking cards preserves them. It does not destroy them. There is an entire field dedicated to the preservation and safe restoration techniques of paper artifacts.
Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Does anyone else think Kurt is just an outright con artist? He's selling a snake oil potion with a limitless list of magic properties. We'll never hear an honest statement of what's actually in Kurt's Card Care spray, just trust him that it's an elixir to fix the (card) world's problems. Even his devoted followers will admit that a lot of his before and after pictures are nothing more than carefully staged with lighting tricks to hide issues that never really disappear with his treatment. It's akin to magic diet pills where the subject is told to suck in their stomach for the "after" photo.

I suppose as long as he's just conning other con artists it doesn't bother me much, but I'm amazed he has as much of a profile as he does given how much stench there is around his sales tactic (and that's ignoring the ethical discussion about altering, which is a discussion I'm not engaging in again).
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I like Orlando, but he doesn't know what he's talking about in that video. The stain was always there. You can see it in the before photo. The images he posted for before and after just use drastically different settings for contrast, brightness, exposure, etc.

At one point, he holds the PSA graded copy next to the SGC copy and claims that any color differences they have are due to "chemicals" being used on the card (nevermind the fact that the one he claims was altered actually has *better* color). This is of course nonsense. Then he starts talking about how if the stain was present when PSA graded it then they would have given it a 2 and not a 6. Again, this is nonsense and demonstrates remarkable ignorance of PSA's grading standards. They regularly assign 6s to stained cards even to this day. I could post numerous examples of them.

Most cards that were removed from scrapbooks like this one were simply removed with water. If the glue is water soluble, it will come out easily with just water. No "harsh chemicals" necessary. If the glue is not water soluble, then you would need a solvent that is so harsh that it would destroy the card.

Furthermore, this claim that we don't know the long term effects of soaking cards and that it poses serious risks is also nonsense. People have been soaking cards for more than a century. There is a long established history of the effects of soaking cards. There are millions of soaked cards in slabs. Properly cleaning and soaking cards preserves them. It does not destroy them. There is an entire field dedicated to the preservation and safe restoration techniques of paper artifacts.
There are no before and after pictures shown in the video. He bought it with no stain visible And the stain came back after several years. We don't know the long term effects of soaking cards with chemicals. Of course I know plain water has always and always will be fine for cards.

I know you can chemically preserve paper properly.
Kurt's card care isn't the Library of Congress, Does he know what he's doing with his formula? You decide. I would also add preservation of paper chemically is almost always manuscripts and other extremely thin documents. Not colored card stock. I don't think the hall of fame museum is taking in 1880s scrapbook cards and soaking them in kcc.

Clearly he has them side by side, one soaked with water and one soaked with chemicals and they are extremely different looking. And the water soaked looks exactly the same as the card that never touched water.

I'm talking with someone who openly does this to cards. So I wouldn't expect you to take my side.
Shame that Gherig wasn't an easy Kcc job and just had a little stain that you could've soaked chemically and turned into a 3 and resold it for $2000 more without saying anything.
Edit: seeing you said you'd never sell it on the other thread. We all know every collection goes to the grave! Lol.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; Yesterday at 10:58 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Does anyone else think Kurt is just an outright con artist? He's selling a snake oil potion with a limitless list of magic properties. We'll never hear an honest statement of what's actually in Kurt's Card Care spray, just trust him that it's an elixir to fix the (card) world's problems. Even his devoted followers will admit that a lot of his before and after pictures are nothing more than carefully staged with lighting tricks to hide issues that never really disappear with his treatment. It's akin to magic diet pills where the subject is told to suck in their stomach for the "after" photo.

I suppose as long as he's just conning other con artists it doesn't bother me much, but I'm amazed he has as much of a profile as he does given how much stench there is around his sales tactic (and that's ignoring the ethical discussion about altering, which is a discussion I'm not engaging in again).
I hate the whole card cleaning/doctoring culture. These people always seem shady, deceptive and disingeuous to me.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

Why would he tell anyone what's in his magic potion though? There are numerous copycat operations already. Telling them what's in his products would be just as stupid as the best BBQ joint in the country posting the recipe for their BBQ sauce on their front door.

The before and after pictures that you're referring to where the lighting differs in an effort to make the creases look better than they actually are were taken by his customers, not him. Kurt pretty much always uses the same lighting in his videos and images. If you look closely, you can almost always still see the creases he worked on in his after photos.

As for me being a "devoted follower", I like Kurt. I think he's a great guy. But I don't use his card spray when I soak my cards (I did buy a bottle for fun though). And I don't use his polish either, as I don't collect shiny stuff. But people clearly like his products and they clearly work as there are approximately one million cards in slabs that have been worked on using his products.

As for him being a con artist? No, that's silly. The guy literally fixes cards live on camera, tells you exactly what he's doing while he's doing it, and then posts the grading results when he's done. He sells a product that works and shows you how to use it. He wouldn't have so many repeat customers if his products didn't work. It's clearly not snake oil. Can you achieve the same results by researching how professional paper restoration experts safely clean documents that are far more important and valuable than our baseball cards? Yes, of course. But most people are too lazy to do the research on their own. Hence he has a large and loyal customer base.

People fear what they don't understand. Paper restoration and preservation is a fascinating subject to study. You can learn a lot just by reading.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Why would he tell anyone what's in his magic potion though? There are numerous copycat operations already. Telling them what's in his products would be just as stupid as the best BBQ joint in the country posting the recipe for their BBQ sauce on their front door.

The before and after pictures that you're referring to where the lighting differs in an effort to make the creases look better than they actually are were taken by his customers, not him. Kurt pretty much always uses the same lighting in his videos and images. If you look closely, you can almost always still see the creases he worked on in his after photos.

As for me being a "devoted follower", I like Kurt. I think he's a great guy. But I don't use his card spray when I soak my cards (I did buy a bottle for fun though). And I don't use his polish either, as I don't collect shiny stuff. But people clearly like his products and they clearly work as there are approximately one million cards in slabs that have been worked on using his products.

As for him being a con artist? No, that's silly. The guy literally fixes cards live on camera, tells you exactly what he's doing while he's doing it, and then posts the grading results when he's done. He sells a product that works and shows you how to use it. He wouldn't have so many repeat customers if his products didn't work. It's clearly not snake oil. Can you achieve the same results by researching how professional paper restoration experts safely clean documents that are far more important and valuable than our baseball cards? Yes, of course. But most people are too lazy to do the research on their own. Hence he has a large and loyal customer base.

People fear what they don't understand. Paper restoration and preservation is a fascinating subject to study. You can learn a lot just by reading.
Straw man argument IMO. For many documents and the like, preservation and restoration are considered acceptable, and are not done for deception. Baseball cards have always been different. If Kurt and others are so above board, let them disclose their work. This all feels like Dick T. all over again.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; Yesterday at 12:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
There are no before and after pictures shown in the video. He bought it with no stain visible And the stain came back after several years. We don't know the long term effects of soaking cards with chemicals. Of course I know plain water has always and always will be fine for cards.

I know you can chemically preserve paper properly.
Kurt's card care isn't the Library of Congress, Does he know what he's doing with his formula? You decide. I would also add preservation of paper chemically is almost always manuscripts and other extremely thin documents. Not colored card stock. I don't think the hall of fame museum is taking in 1880s scrapbook cards and soaking them in kcc.

Clearly he has them side by side, one soaked with water and one soaked with chemicals and they are extremely different looking. And the water soaked looks exactly the same as the card that never touched water.

I'm talking with someone who openly does this to cards. So I wouldn't expect you to take my side.
Shame that Gherig wasn't an easy Kcc job and just had a little stain that you could've soaked chemically and turned into a 3 and resold it for $2000 more without saying anything.
Edit: seeing you said you'd never sell it on the other thread. We all know every collection goes to the grave! Lol.
I think the before pictures were posted by a few of the hobby trolls online, which I was conflating with his video. But either way, the stain was always there. He provides no evidence to support his claim that the stain appeared out of no where and that it wasn't there before. I don't think he's trying to deceive his audience. I just think he's wrong about the stain not having been there before. I think he didn't notice the stain when he bought it (it's faint) and then he one day later discovered it and assumed it had to have magically appeared because, using his reasoning, "PSA would have given it a 2 if the stain was there when they graded it". Yet, unbeknownst to him, PSA actually places stained cards in 6 holders with regularity.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I hate the whole card cleaning/doctoring culture. These people always seem shady, deceptive and disingeuous to me.
Would you characterize me as "shady, deceptive, and disingenuous" on this topic?
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

To the extent you're defending Kurt's and others' use of chemical potions to improve the appearance of cards, and submitting and/or selling them without disclosure, I would say that's shady.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

As a chemical-using science person for a living type dude, doctoring cards with a "secret recipe" is a big deal, VERY especially after seeing that interview and seeing he has very little idea how to approach making his "secret recipe" rather than trial and error.

I suspect, though I say this with no tips or close knowledge, that propylene glycol may be part of the recipe. It helps things like cardboard (for instance) take up water deeper into and between cells and hold onto it better. It also won't ruin the "plastic" as he calls the card gloss.

It's also quite sticky and doesn't tend to precipitate out of whatever it's applied to, meaning when the water and other chemicals are gone, a residue hangs around that could make the situation worse over time.

You can share "active ingredients" without giving ratios.

But let's be real. Most people using stuff like this are doing it for the quick flip and that's someone else's problem 5-10-20+ years from now.

This is just an example of an unintended consequence of using a chemical. I'm slightly alarmed that he talked about his discovery process as a "throwing things at the problem" process rather than approaching it with the properties of the chemical(s) being used.
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
But let's be real. Most people using stuff like this are doing it for the quick flip and that's someone else's problem 5-10-20+ years from now.
This exactly. Just like how card trimming was done by people in the 90s and 2000s that was seldom caught (compared to now). They made their millions and got away with it. Now people with their old label 9s and 10s are finding out the cards are likely trimmed decades later.

The new MO is low grade high eye appeal stained and lightly wrinkled cards that can be altered with chemicals for +2-3 or more grade bumps. Which is very unfortunate as that's many real collectors sweet spots in terms of price to quality ratio. They will likely now start being outbid by what can only be dubbed as "Juicers". Really sucks.

Hopefully there's some kind of chemical testing that can be implemented into tpgs process. Though that's probably expensive and time consuming so I really doubt it.

Last edited by Lucas00; Yesterday at 01:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Would you characterize me as "shady, deceptive, and disingenuous" on this topic?
I would, yeah. You move the goalposts and build strawmen when you're defending card cleaning. In another thread, you defended Kurt's Card Care because it's "mostly distilled water," and then implied that people are being irrational because they're afraid of water:

Quote:
People often fear that which they don't understand or can't explain. They just assume that soaking a card in water will damage it and then attempt to justify their position because it just feels wrong to them. The hobby is like a religion to some with viewpoints that cannot be challenged.

The ironic part to me is that these same people are completely fine with collectors putting their grimy oily fingers with French-fry grease, dirt, snot, and god knows what else all over their cards, as if none of those substances "alter" the card. But the moment you talk about removing any of that or of even just water touching the card, they completely lose their marbles as they chant "ALTERATION!!!" and start calling for heads to roll. I honestly find it hilarious.

Kurt made it abundantly clear in his interview that he's not using water. Yet instead of conceding that some people might be rationally opposed to mystery chemicals also being used on cards, you revert back to the arguments that (1) Water doesn't damage cards, and (2) Trust Kurt because he's an expert.

Quote:
Furthermore, this claim that we don't know the long term effects of soaking cards and that it poses serious risks is also nonsense. People have been soaking cards for more than a century. There is a long established history of the effects of soaking cards. There are millions of soaked cards in slabs.
People have not been soaking cards in Kurt's for more than a century. There is not a long established history of soaking cards in Kurt's. We can't look to the history of soaking in water to predict with confidence what would happen to cards soaked in Kurt's mystery elixir.

Quote:
Properly cleaning and soaking cards preserves them. It does not destroy them. There is an entire field dedicated to the preservation and safe restoration techniques of paper artifacts.
This seems like an appeal to authority. We have to take your word for it that Kurt is a scholar who properly restores and preserves cards after careful research. When I watched his interview, I saw a guy who might be fun to grab a beer with, but not a master chemist who could confidently state that his product will never be detectable. His answer when asked whether someone could detect his work on a vintage card was equivocal and concerning.
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

I object to Kurt's Card Care.

But nothing's wrong with water.

Kurt isn't using water, he's using chemicals.

But the chemicals he's using are as safe as water. Trust me.

Do you know what he's using?

No, but I've seen the results, and anyone who thinks differently doesn't know what he's talking about.

And it bothers me that none of this gets disclosed.

That's because there's nothing to disclose.

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Is he not sharing because he's afraid it's going to feed the copycat operations, or is he not sharing because he knows it's snake oil and it'll tank his sales? Only Kurt knows for sure. I have my opinion, you have yours, we don't need to agree.

Quote:
But people clearly like his products and they clearly work as there are approximately one million cards in slabs that have been worked on using his products.
A million cards in slabs have have been worked on using his products!? I'd love to see anything resembling evidence to support this claim because it sure seems like you pulled a number out of thin air.

Quote:
People fear what they don't understand. Paper restoration and preservation is a fascinating subject to study.
Don't insult my intelligence by pretending I don't understand card restoration. I understand it well, I just don't buy the arguments that it's a good thing for the card collecting hobby. Considering the evidence and disagreeing with your position doesn't make me fearful or unintelligent.
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Want to find out what's in the stuff? Buy some and take it to a lab. It's certainly not against any law to attempt to make your own after getting the lab results; you just can't sell it. Well, maybe if the recipe was tweaked ever so slightly...

Either way, I'm guessing the formula to be much simpler than anyone would think.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; Yesterday at 03:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Is he not sharing because he's afraid it's going to feed the copycat operations, or is he not sharing because he knows it's snake oil and it'll tank his sales? Only Kurt knows for sure. I have my opinion, you have yours, we don't need to agree.
Your snake oil analogy still falls flat. Whether you approve of it or not, his card spray clearly works. Thus, it's not snake oil.

Quote:
A million cards in slabs have have been worked on using his products!? I'd love to see anything resembling evidence to support this claim because it sure seems like you pulled a number out of thin air.
Jeremy Lee asked him how many cards he estimates have been submitted to the grading companies using his products. Kurt said based on the volume of products he ships and how many cards those products are capable of cleaning and 75-80% of those cards being sent in for grading that a conservative estimate would be ~30,000 cards per month are sent to the grading companies. I don't have access to his records, and I don't know what his growth rates are like, but he's been in business for several years now. One million cards in slabs is a fair estimate based on that data. 20k cards per month over 5 years would be 1.2 million cards. 30k cards per month over 5 years would be 1.8 million cards. 40k cards per month over 6 years would be 2.9 million cards. But even if it's just 15k cards per month over 5 years, that's still 900k cards.

Quote:
Don't insult my intelligence by pretending I don't understand card restoration. I understand it well, I just don't buy the arguments that it's a good thing for the card collecting hobby. Considering the evidence and disagreeing with your position doesn't make me fearful or unintelligent.
I have no idea how much you've researched paper restoration techniques (although I suspect you're not as learned on the topic as you're leading on). But my point was more to the hobby in general. Most people know absolutely nothing about it.
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
I would, yeah. You move the goalposts and build strawmen when you're defending card cleaning. In another thread, you defended Kurt's Card Care because it's "mostly distilled water," and then implied that people are being irrational because they're afraid of water:

Kurt made it abundantly clear in his interview that he's not using water. Yet instead of conceding that some people might be rationally opposed to mystery chemicals also being used on cards, you revert back to the arguments that (1) Water doesn't damage cards, and (2) Trust Kurt because he's an expert.

People have not been soaking cards in Kurt's for more than a century. There is not a long established history of soaking cards in Kurt's. We can't look to the history of soaking in water to predict with confidence what would happen to cards soaked in Kurt's mystery elixir.

This seems like an appeal to authority. We have to take your word for it that Kurt is a scholar who properly restores and preserves cards after careful research. When I watched his interview, I saw a guy who might be fun to grab a beer with, but not a master chemist who could confidently state that his product will never be detectable. His answer when asked whether someone could detect his work on a vintage card was equivocal and concerning.
Wow, talk about being disingenuous lol. Just go ahead and spit my words back out of your mouth next time if you're going to just going to take my words on topic A and pretend as though I said them about topic B in every talking point.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I don't understand how someone can acknowledge they don't know what Kurt's magic potion actually is but simultaneously hold that it cannot harm the card over the long haul.

Oh wait, logic has nothing to do with it. Anything is fine if it makes money. Never disclose.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I bought the spray and can attest that it works fine in the toilet, which so far doesn't leak.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Chase

Quote:
To the extent you're defending Kurt's and others' use of chemical potions to improve the appearance of cards, and submitting and/or selling them without disclosure, I would say that's shady.
Not sure anyone here defended PWCC more often and with more fervor than Travis. So his defense of Kurt or any other person in the hobby that deals in questionable practices seems fitting.

And I have no issues with his supporting businesses like that but he too practices cleaning cards and has said he has cleaned thousands of them yet I have seen his eBay graded listings and either of those thousands of cards he has cleaned none are those he has listed or sold or...he is not disclosing, which is the issue I have.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Not sure anyone here defended PWCC more often and with more fervor than Travis. So his defense of Kurt or any other person in the hobby that deals in questionable practices seems fitting.

And I have no issues with his supporting businesses like that but he too practices cleaning cards and has said he has cleaned thousands of them yet I have seen his eBay graded listings and either of those thousands of cards he has cleaned none are those he has listed or sold or...he is not disclosing, which is the issue I have.
He has said he doesn't disclose because there is nothing to disclose.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
A claim some might observe is shady, deceptive, and disingenuous.
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Chase

Quote:
That is convenient, self-serving and the mere fact he avoids disclosing is the reason he should. If you have nothing to hide then don't hide.

Reminds me of when he had his 52 Topps Mantle SGC Auth Altered listed that he won from PWCC. PWCC disclosed that the alteration was a trim job on the bottom edge--a trim job that was pretty evident even with the card int he holder. When Travis listed it on eBay he went out of his way in his description to describe how much time and effort an examination he did of the card and concluded SGC was wrong and the card was not altered.

When Brent is more forthcoming than Travis that should tell ya something. And if Travis was so sure his assessment was more accurate than SGC why not break out the card and submit it? The upside on a mistakenly assessed 52 Topps #311 that would be a 7 or higher being wrongfully trapped in an AA holder is worth a few submission attempts. I will tell you why he did not break it out and resubmit it. Once he were to do that it would be harder or impossible to post his misrepresentation that the card is not altered.
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
That is convenient, self-serving and the mere fact he avoids disclosing is the reason he should. If you have nothing to hide then don't hide.

Reminds me of when he had his 52 Topps Mantle SGC Auth Altered listed that he won from PWCC. PWCC disclosed that the alteration was a trim job on the bottom edge--a trim job that was pretty evident even with the card int he holder. When Travis listed it on eBay he went out of his way in his description to describe how much time and effort an examination he did of the card and concluded SGC was wrong and the card was not altered.

When Brent is more forthcoming than Travis that should tell ya something. And if Travis was so sure his assessment was more accurate than SGC why not break out the card and submit it? The upside on a mistakenly assessed 52 Topps #311 that would be a 7 or higher being wrongfully trapped in an AA holder is worth a few submission attempts. I will tell you why he did not break it out and resubmit it. Once he were to do that it would be harder or impossible to post his misrepresentation that the card is not altered.
I am shocked. I can't believe it. The Snowman, misrepresenting cards and trying to rip people off when he isn't busy shilling for other fraudsters? Say it ain't so!

Have a link to this one or a pic of the card?
Old Today, 12:35 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

You are so full of shit. I said I was done responding to you, but I have to respond to your bullshit accusation. This is just a flat-out lie. At no point did PWCC ever inform me that it was trimmed, let alone that it was trimmed on any specific edge. They never said anything at all about the card. The card is in an "Authentic" holder, not an "Authentic Altered" holder, as you claim above. I bought it as a fixed-price listing on eBay. It had no details whatsoever written about the card in the description. All it said was "SGC Authentic" in the title. Seller was asking $X, I offered $Y, seller accepted. After it arrived, I thoroughly examined the card myself and provided an honest assessment of its condition. The edges show no evidence of trimming whatsoever. They are perfectly consistent with what you'd expect to see from a 52 Topps card (a set I know very well). The toning and chipping are perfectly consistent with a factory cut. The reason the card was not given a numeric grade is because the top edge slopes from left to right. It is just barely out of square (a very common factory miscut for 52 Topps). If this were any other card from that set besides the Mantle, it probably would have received a numeric grade. And I think there is a decent chance that it shows up again some day in a numeric holder.
Old Today, 12:38 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I am shocked. I can't believe it. The Snowman, misrepresenting cards and trying to rip people off when he isn't busy shilling for other fraudsters? Say it ain't so!

Have a link to this one or a pic of the card?
I no longer own the card. But here is a scan of it. It's one of the nicest 52 Mantles I've ever seen, in any grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps 311 Mickey Mantle SGCA.jpg (179.5 KB, 174 views)
Old Today, 12:53 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I'm really getting sick of all the bullshit accusations and misquoting of things I never said. I'm done engaging with you guys on this topic. Your ignorant viewpoints are tired and outdated. Have fun screaming at clouds. I'll be over here cleaning my cards and enjoying them.

Perhaps I'll turn my attention instead to becoming a content creator where I teach people how to safely and properly clean vintage cards. Maybe you can all learn something (well, then again, I doubt it). Maybe I'll even set up at shows and grab a table right next to PSA and SGC and offer to clean your cards right there on the spot before you submit them for grading. It'll be fun. See you on the other side. Toodle-oo.
Old Today, 01:44 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Thing is, you don't know what you are doing, for chemically cleaning something historic you would need decades of research, testing and professional chemists aiding you. You'll just be kurt pt 2.

Imagine like I said earlier (you ignored about 90% of my response) if the hof museum got a card with a caramel stain they wanted to preserve, I'll tell you what they aren't doing, putting Kcc on it.

Also you keep referencing cleaned cards as "My cards" implying you have never sold one you've cleaned. Another point you you've dodged numerous times. I'm probably the pope if that's the truth. Ask your friend Jonah how that went.

Last edited by Lucas00; Today at 01:47 AM.
Old Today, 04:30 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Last edited by skelly423; Today at 06:13 AM. Reason: Unnecessary comment
Old Today, 07:52 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I'm really getting sick of all the bullshit accusations and misquoting of things I never said. I'm done engaging with you guys on this topic. Your ignorant viewpoints are tired and outdated. Have fun screaming at clouds. I'll be over here cleaning my cards and enjoying them.

Perhaps I'll turn my attention instead to becoming a content creator where I teach people how to safely and properly clean vintage cards. Maybe you can all learn something (well, then again, I doubt it). Maybe I'll even set up at shows and grab a table right next to PSA and SGC and offer to clean your cards right there on the spot before you submit them for grading. It'll be fun. See you on the other side. Toodle-oo.
OMG please become a content creator you would be hilarious and hopefully post here way less.
Old Today, 08:11 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
You are so full of shit. I said I was done responding to you, but I have to respond to your bullshit accusation. This is just a flat-out lie. At no point did PWCC ever inform me that it was trimmed, let alone that it was trimmed on any specific edge. They never said anything at all about the card. The card is in an "Authentic" holder, not an "Authentic Altered" holder, as you claim above.
Is this the same card?

https://sales-history.pwccmarketplac...MONTHLY2077364

If so, here's the PWCC description:

Quote:
An absolutely stunning '52 Mantle which generally shows NRMT qualities throughout. Beautifully preserved throughout with fresh surfaces and four mostly square corners. Lightly trimmed along the bottom edge, though it takes a trained eye to see it and even then the overall presentation remains largely world class. If you've been waiting for a some what affordable example of this iconic card, yet can't stand the attributes of a low grade, look no further. Part of an extensive run of '52 Topps examples on the market this month. Nearly the entire set is represented here, mostly in mid-grade condition. One of over 15,000 cards, lots, and sets up for bid in our 9th Auction of 2019. Click on the link above to view the other PWCC auction lots.
Old Today, 08:17 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:

I for one hope you don't toodle-oo off the forum. You and I have had our discussions, and I came away feeling I had learned a thing or two. And don't feel bad, they hate me too, for calling them out over baseball old-timers throwing slow pitch softballs and my embrace of raw cards. While I love this forum, it is indeed a country club, and if you're not in, you're out, all the way out. And then there are those here who somehow know everything. If I only I could be like them. Oh well, in the end, it just is what it is, as the cliche goes.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old Today, 08:53 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
Is this the same card?

https://sales-history.pwccmarketplac...MONTHLY2077364

If so, here's the PWCC description:
It can’t be, that would make Scamman a liar for the 10,000th time if it is
Old Today, 09:03 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

To be fair, Travis said he bought the card on eBay not PWCC.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old Today, 09:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

https://twitter.com/tiffanycards/sta...eKgEWPSCg&s=19

Old Today, 09:05 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It can’t be, that would make Scamman a liar for the 10,000th time if it is
I get the sense that this card will play "musical holders" until a grader is tricked or paid off to give it a 6 or 7.

A true hobby mensch would use some Kurt's Card Compound to restore that bottom edge to its natural state, so there would be no alteration to disclose.
Old Today, 09:06 AM
Don

PSA just deactivated close to a dozen cards from a PSA submission that was tied to Kurt

Tweet describing it: https://x.com/tiffanycards/status/1780963007939457402

Following cert numbers have been deactivated: