NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-16-2023, 10:38 AM

Default Grading Question

A newbie here to the forum and pretty new to cards. I have a 1980 Rickey Henderson (not the original owner) that looked like it had a shot at a 10, so I sent into to PSA for grading. It came back N5: Altered. Doing some research it seems it was probably in a screw-down holder at some point. Also, read putting in a cigar box can help, so I have done that for the past month or so. Anyway, looking to get it re-graded. The card itself has perfect centering and nothing noticeable corner or edge-wise. Under the naked eye, the surface looks good. Taking a closer look under magnifying glass can see a few surface blemishes.

I have sent a batch of 80s football to BGS. (I liked the idea of the .5 grades), most of those came back lower than I thought. I have also sent in a Dan Marino rookie to PSA, that looked the same (to the naked) eye as the Henderson, which came back as an 8.

I'm now kinda leaning toward SGC to send the Henderson and other 80s cards. Is SGC the best option for 80s cards....Just looking for any feedback...Thanks
Old 08-16-2023, 11:18 AM

I haven't sent to anyone other than PSA, but I will say get yourself a 10x magnifying glass and look at your cards in under that level of magnification under good light. Flaws that you don't see with the naked eye are much more apparent.

Hopefully that helps you not get surprised with grades, which is always a bummer. 1980's cards can be tough to find in high grades due to the production process and the ravages of 40 years out in the wild.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwill19 View Post
A newbie here to the forum and pretty new to cards. I have a 1980 Rickey Henderson (not the original owner) that looked like it had a shot at a 10, so I sent into to PSA for grading. It came back N5: Altered. Doing some research it seems it was probably in a screw-down holder at some point. Also, read putting in a cigar box can help, so I have done that for the past month or so. Anyway, looking to get it re-graded. The card itself has perfect centering and nothing noticeable corner or edge-wise. Under the naked eye, the surface looks good. Taking a closer look under magnifying glass can see a few surface blemishes.

I have sent a batch of 80s football to BGS. (I liked the idea of the .5 grades), most of those came back lower than I thought. I have also sent in a Dan Marino rookie to PSA, that looked the same (to the naked) eye as the Henderson, which came back as an 8.

I'm now kinda leaning toward SGC to send the Henderson and other 80s cards. Is SGC the best option for 80s cards....Just looking for any feedback...Thanks
did you match the rickey up with another base 1980 card? if it's the same size, then it certainly makes sense to have it re-graded (SGC seems like a better idea since you already went down the PSA channel).
Old 08-20-2023, 01:12 PM

Default Grading

Well, this is just my opinion. I started getting cards graded when PSA
started and now I have quit. As for your 80's or 90's cards, don't waste your
time. Even if you get a 10 you can probably buy a 10 for less then
the grading and shipping fees there are so many out there. I was
sending in my 70's, late 60's cards and you just can't grade them against
the cards being made today. Beautiful cards centered, great corners
measure perfect come back 5's & 6's maybe an 8 if your lucky.
Then you look at ebay and I couldn't sell them for the grading and
shipping fees and that's after waiting months to get them back.
Just my opinion
Old 08-21-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
did you match the rickey up with another base 1980 card? if it's the same size, then it certainly makes sense to have it re-graded (SGC seems like a better idea since you already went down the PSA channel).
I did match it up and as far as I can tell it is the same size. I wound up sending into SGC late last week, so we'll see what happens.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybestbretts View Post
Well, this is just my opinion. I started getting cards graded when PSA
started and now I have quit. As for your 80's or 90's cards, don't waste your
time. Even if you get a 10 you can probably buy a 10 for less then
the grading and shipping fees there are so many out there. I was
sending in my 70's, late 60's cards and you just can't grade them against
the cards being made today. Beautiful cards centered, great corners
measure perfect come back 5's & 6's maybe an 8 if your lucky.
Then you look at ebay and I couldn't sell them for the grading and
shipping fees and that's after waiting months to get them back.
Just my opinion
Good points...I am slowly realizing the same things based on my limited experience. Growing up in the 80s, I just prefer those cards. I am starting to get into the new cards.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Good points...I am slowly realizing the same things based on my limited experience. Growing up in the 80s, I just prefer those cards. I am starting to get into the new cards.
I agree with everything said in this post. I too have been getting small amounts of cards graded since the inception of PSA and Beckett. I was very satisfied back in the old days with the results. An then, it started morphing into what it is today. Beckett even treated vintage cards separately from their standard card grading, and came up with BVG. A 50s card that would receive a 6 or 7 back then would now receive a 3-4. Crazy. If you look closely at todays market of graded cards, the PSA case or Beckett case, you will see the higher graded vintage cards (mainly 79 and back) are in older cases. That's because they were looked at differently, as they should be. In today's market a vintage card is graded the same way as any other card. It stands to reason that a card issued prior to the advent of penny sleeves and top loaders is not going to grade as well as a new one that in some cases, is never touched by human hands.

However, with all that said, it is the world we currently live in. Maybe with AI some parameters can be built into the grading system that recognize, or consider, the year in which they're made. Until then, be cautious when you submit any card in for grading. It probably will not come back in the grade you expect.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I did match it up and as far as I can tell it is the same size. I wound up sending into SGC late last week, so we'll see what happens.
nice - let us know how it works out. always loved the 1980 rickey, but i sold off all my copies and bought a lot of 1979 ogden rickey.