NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-13-2023, 07:55 PM

Default Why no "In Memoriam" Cards?

I just posted a mock-up of a 1964 Topps 7th series slit on another chain, and it features the Ken Hubbs memorial card.

I've often wondered why Topps only ever issued an "In Memoriam" card in 1964 for Ken Hubbs and never again.

He died in mid-February of 1964 - would the players on the 7th series sheet already have been determined so that they knew they were planning on a Hubbs card already and this gave them an opportunity to still use that space for him?

When one thinks of others who have died during their careers, or even during the season, it seems like Topps would have marked their passing some way.

While I did collect cards in 79-80, I was still too young to understand things like this - for those who were mature collectors at that time, was there any expectation that there'd be a Munson tribute card of any kind in the 1980 set?

Per Wikipedia, 35 men have died during the Topps era while in their active careers - meaning, I suppose, they were at least under contract and on a 40-man roster?

Harry Agganis
Tom Gastall
Ken Hubbs
Jim Umbricht
Dick Wantz
Paul Edmondson
Miguel Fuentes
Herman Hill
Roberto Clemente
Don Wilson
Bob Moose
Danny Thompson
Danny Frisella
Mike Miley
Lyman Bostock
Thurman Munson
Steve Macko
Francisco Barrios
Tim Crews
Steve Olin
Cliff Young
Mike Sharperson
Mike Darr
Darryl Kile
Steve Bechler
Dernell Stenson
Cory Lidle
Josh Hancock
Joe Kennedy
Nick Adenhart
Greg Halman
Oscar Tavares
Jose Fernandez
Yordano Ventura
Tyler Skaggs
Old 08-13-2023, 11:52 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Umbricht's card in an earlier series that year doesn't have the In Memoriam, but the back text is about his demise.

I would imagine it generally wasn't done because it's a dark topic for a kids toy in general.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim-Umbricht.jpg (57.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 08-14-2023, 08:06 AM
Mark

The 1972 Gil Hodges O-Pee-Chee card mentions his death on the front of the card
Old 08-14-2023, 08:36 AM
Rich Klein

Paging Dave Hornish who can probably provide the data much better than I can since I'm going from memory of reading things Topps talked about.

But I suspect the reason there were no In Memoriam cards for some of those people mentioned was because Topps always believed their audience was kids and as such were interested in the now instead of the "then"

I can even say not just In Memoriam but retirement cards of our better known players would have been a great idea looking back over the years

A quick and far from comprehensive list of players I would have liked to see "retirement cards" for include

Willie Mays
Roger Maris
Eddie Mathews
Hank Aaron
Stan Musial
Jackie Robinson

etc etc etc

Regards
Rich
Old 08-14-2023, 09:44 AM
J@RR0D

A Clemente memorial card should've happened. There was ample time and everything.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:03 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
A Clemente memorial card should've happened. There was ample time and everything.

This thread made me think of a blog I read during the heyday of baseball card blogs about a decade ago. Not a person I know, but I remembered this writer created a series of custom cards on this subject. Glad he's still writing, not many are.

http://whentoppshadballs.blogspot.co.../In%20Memoriam

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-14-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:39 PM
Andy S@ld@n@

Default 2006 Topps Update Lidle

Topps did honor Cory Lidle in the 2006 Topps Update release. Picture taken from eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (36.1 KB, 237 views)
Old 08-14-2023, 03:34 PM

That Clemente mock-up should've been card 660 that year - with apologies to Fred Scherman.

Yes - the WTHBB site is still up and something I check almost every day!
Old 08-14-2023, 03:41 PM

JustinD -- Thanks for posting the 1973 Topps Roberto Clemente # 660 SHOULD HAVE BEEN. The card would have been dignified and appropriate.

I don't know how, but someone should send this mock-up to Topps, to be used as a 50 years ago tribute. Just wishful thinking ...

--- Brian Powell
Old 08-20-2023, 12:05 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I can even say not just In Memoriam but retirement cards of our better known players would have been a great idea looking back over the years
Topps could have started with their very first set by issuing a card for Joe DiMaggio in their 1952 set.

The 1969 Mickey Mantle turned into one when Topps added a line on the back noting that he had announced his retirement.
Old 08-27-2023, 01:46 PM
Shane

Albert Pujols and Yadier Molina both have "retirement" cards in this year's 2023 Topps. Fittingly, they are #4 and #5 in the set
Old 08-27-2023, 06:08 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Player Not on the List

I believe that Walt Bond was still an active player when he passed in December of 1967. I didn't see him on the list.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:49 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
I believe that Walt Bond was still an active player when he passed in December of 1967. I didn't see him on the list.
Walt Bond had a 1967 card when he was still living. 2nd series from my memory but I could be off by a series.

He passed late in the season and thus no 1968 card was produced for him.

Rich
Old 08-28-2023, 02:05 PM

Topps printed a proof card of a 1977 Danny Thompson but pulled it when he died December 16, 1976. There is only one proof sheet known with the card and the sheet also has the only known 1977 Jerry Grote when he “retired” after the 1976 season with the Mets.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:20 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Short answer: I dunno.

Long answer: The info on how long a player needed to be on a ML roster before getting a Topps card is pretty inconsistent over they years and Topps obviously had workarounds for Rookie Star multi-player cards and the like. So a requirement a player be on a ML roster for 30 days or after a certain date (as per past practice) seemingly didn't apply to Hubbs. (Or Roy Campanella in 1959) so I have to think it's possible a special arrangement was in place.

Hubbs is in the highs (7th series ), so it seems odd he wasn't pulled as he died in February, seemingly well before that series was plotted out as they had time to add the In Memoriam and write specifics on the reverse.

Umbricht maybe caught them off guard and they only had time to correct text on the reverse, which must have been close to when the fronts were printed (backs were printed first but front art likely locked in), just after his death date, so the 4th series seems to have been an April production. Consistency with Topps was always squirrely but maybe someone realized internally they should do more for Hubbs after Umbricht's death.

1969 Mantle, while not a death as he retired on 3/1/69 IIRC, so too late to pull his card in '69. That makes me think the 5th series was already locked in by his retirement date. Topps stared production earlier and earlier every year it seems but some of this stuff doesn't line up.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:15 AM
Albert Bee

Default card notes

and also pretty late in the Topps card printing calendar -

the 67 T Jim Piersall notes May 8th 1967 as - " he decided to retire " ,