NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-16-2023, 01:37 PM

Default On card autos on modern rookies?

So there are a number of post 1990 players that resonate with me and that I want to collect. Is there value in looking for on-card autos of high card-grade rookies (9s and 10s on the card)?

My sense is that most of the autos in the past 10-15 years are the sticker ones, which are much more common. But between 1990 and 2010, I didn't see any stickers. And judging from the population reports, autographed, high grade rookie cards can be 1/100 as scarce as the non-autographed versions.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM

Sticker autos aren't really that prevalent in baseball. I know Pro Debut is a product that uses stickers but the majority of products for baseball are on card. Bowman and Topps flagship products often have retail only versions of hobby autos that are also sometimes on stickers. But from my experience the vast majority of baseball product autos are on card.

This is different for other sports. Soccer, for example, is almost sticker exclusive.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:19 PM

Ah yes, thanks. I also collect some soccer cards (focus on rookies and on card autos of defenders) and made a poor assumption that those dynamics also applied to baseball.

Do you think autos are a sensible way to invest in lower pop versions of 1990-2010 era cards? For me, it seems that an auto gives the card a bit more of an authentic scarcity than, say, the "artificial" scarcity created more recently with all the 1/5 or 1/10 parallels etc that characterize the super modern hobby.
Old 08-16-2023, 09:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'm not sure any modern card is a great investment but probably better than the common as dirt base cards.
Here are a couple I own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg verlanderchrome - Copy.jpg (186.1 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg kershawbc.jpg (140.8 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg mauer.jpg (79.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg cabrera.jpg (199.1 KB, 224 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-16-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:35 PM

Peter, those are pretty cool autos of some serious players...

Here are a couple of my on-card autos, noting that they aren't all modern and aren't all baseball.

I show my kids the Dwight Gooden one so I have good collateral for a Say No To Drugs message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2741.jpg (158.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2742.jpg (189.7 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2743.jpg (191.5 KB, 214 views)
Old 08-19-2023, 11:55 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
Here are a couple of my on-card autos, noting that they aren't all modern and aren't all baseball.
Nice, but I think the OP was asking about cards that were issued with autographs, as opposed to unsigned cards that were autographed after the fact.
Old 08-20-2023, 04:07 AM

Thanks -- I happened to be the original poster. I was actually more interested in whether looking for autographs on originally unsigned cards (particularly on cards that historically have a very high population) would be a profitable pursuit. I may have used the wrong terminology in the original post; I thought that an "on-card" auto is definitionally a hand signed autograph that happens after the original, unsigned card, is issued.

Last edited by bk400; 08-20-2023 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks -- I happened to be the original poster. I was actually more interested in whether looking for autographs on originally unsigned cards (particularly on cards that historically have a very high population) would be a profitable pursuit. I may have used the wrong terminology in the original post; I thought that an "on-card" auto is definitionally a hand signed autograph that happens after the original, unsigned card, is issued.
To me on card is used to differentiate between two types of pack issued cards, those with autos on the card and those with an auto'd sticker added.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-20-2023, 12:33 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Agreed, the terminology is "on card" means pack issued without a sticker auto, as in, the player actually held the card itself and autographed it.

"Sticker" auto is manufacturer released with a sticker signed by the player affixed by the company. Players get sent pages of stickers and never actually touch the cards themselves.

"Captured" auto is when something like a cardboard/index fragment is signed and installed into the card.

You're mainly talking about "Through the mail" or "In Person" (TTM/IP) autos; cards that are signed by the player after they've been released unsigned. COMC calls them "aftermarket" autos.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:08 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Signed card collector here. Yes is there is great value in Modern signed cards, especially rookie cards. I highly recommend getting a membership at sports collectors.net if anything for the private/public signing listings.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Signed card collector here. Yes is there is great value in Modern signed cards, especially rookie cards. I highly recommend getting a membership at sports collectors.net if anything for the private/public signing listings.

Thanks for the recommendation. I personally like the look of the aftermarket autos more than the pack pulled ones. Seems like there's more work involved in getting the aftermarket ones (noting that there are questions about authenticity swirling around the space) -- and more risk (and more reward?) in getting one on a higher grade rookie card.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:57 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
So there are a number of post 1990 players that resonate with me and that I want to collect. Is there value in looking for on-card autos of high card-grade rookies (9s and 10s on the card)?

My sense is that most of the autos in the past 10-15 years are the sticker ones, which are much more common. But between 1990 and 2010, I didn't see any stickers. And judging from the population reports, autographed, high grade rookie cards can be 1/100 as scarce as the non-autographed versions.

Any thoughts?
Topps Now is still not as highly sought after as Flagship base and Chrone. But all of their autos are on card, and a lot of collectors like that. However, it creates backlog issues waiting for players to sign mountains of cards during downtime.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-22-2023, 10:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

I would only buy pack issued ones. Perhaps I am too cynical but how hard is it, really, to fake someone's autograph and fool a grading service?

Old 08-22-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would only buy pack issued ones. Perhaps I am too cynical but how hard is it, really, to fake someone's autograph and fool a grading service?
I hear you, Peter. I guess the more I research and the more I read books like Operation Bullpen and The Card, the more I think we have to pick our poison a bit.

If I (hypothetically) buy a PSA 10 Ozzie Smith rookie, how do I know it wasn't trimmed? Clearly, PSA has allowed at least one trimmed card to get through the gauntlet. Hard to imagine that there haven't been a whole lot of others that have gotten through as well. I suppose that there is a suspension of disbelief to some extent, especially if we are talking about more expensive cards where it pays to cheat.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:24 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
For modern players it’s pretty easy to stick to private signings and show signings. Also for as much as I hate the monopoly fanatics has become, they do at least provide signings with many major stars. You’ll pay heavily, but it’s part of game. There is also a pretty dedicated core of 20-30 consignment guys on SCN that attend every spring training and during the regular season usually have a local team they attend weekly. This is how I obtain many of my autos. The upside is you get a discount from show prices, the downside is you might get a rushed auto, have to wait and extended period (I’ve had one take almost 2 years), or not be able to have the consignment completed at all.

Autos are no different than anything else in the hobby. If it’s too good to be true - it isn’t.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:26 PM
rgpete

My one and only card because my son played against him in Little League regularly and in the play offs, never on the same team except for Travel Baseball. Brandon stuck with Baseball, my son went with NASCAR as a Tire Carrier and Fabricator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brandon 001.jpg (167.4 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by rgpete; 08-23-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

How many players actually sign with a legible signature as opposed to a chicken scratch?

Old 08-25-2023, 08:22 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Yes and no.

I still and always will stay away from sticker autos unless it's a deal or a set-aside item. For me, the draw is that the player signed and handled the item. A freshly peeled sticker from a sheet of label he touched means nothing to me personally.

So while the pack issued sell at a premium and likely always will as the supply is limited and should not change, I do like and chase hand-signed RC's of modern if they are slabbed and certed. Without a slab, they are cool, but essentially near worthless at sale.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Not even pack issued ones are safe. Been more than one scandal with the pack issued certified autographs turning out not to be legit in recent years.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Not even pack issued ones are safe. Been more than one scandal with the pack issued certified autographs turning out not to be legit in recent years.
LOL. Not surprised. Do you have a list?

Old 08-25-2023, 05:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
LOL. Not surprised. Do you have a list?
I don't have a list, but off the top of my head:

Dak Prescott Panini auto's were autopens.

A lot of Kenny Baker's (R2-D2) autographs for Topps were signed by a family member or someone else.

Luka Doncic's for Panini (one of which sold for over $4.6M as I recall) appeared to be very different from his actual autographs and signed much slower with different letter shapes. I don't believe this hit 100% proven, but it is highly suspect at best and appears to not be signed by him.

One of the bigger pulls in the Panini Country Music set was found to be an autopen and was a big drama for a few months a few years ago in the non-sport world.

Topps and Panini mail the cards to the person. The person signs them and mails them back. Some cards at some times have the certification saying the athlete said they were real and others have a "Topps representative" type verbiage, that just means someone else present, usually in the athlete's posse, validated they were signed by the athlete or person. Some others are done at in-person signings but this is a minority. It is a system rife with opportunity and incentive to just have one of your hanger-ons do it for you.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

No end to hobby fraud is there.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

A few mentioned here.
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...tentially-fake

If I remember right for one of the Signature rookies football cards the company rep went to the bathroom and the player had a friend sign some while he was away. Like 700 of the however many thousand.
I think they recalled them because they knew what numbers were bad.