NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Al Richter

Some 80 year old guy started all this ?
Old 11-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by con40 View Post
All 1958 Topps Aarons are faded. Maybe the first few were unintentional finds in card shops where the octogenarian owner left his inventory in the window for a decade, but since then, several of these have popped up with different shades of blue (cyan ink).

If the yellow was truly omitted from just one card on the sheet (really?) then that blue would be just solid cyan ink and would look the same all the time since it's just solid ink.

If the yellow had been omitted from even a portion of the print plate, then we'd see more "yellowless" 58s out there. News flash.... there are no others! Hmmm, what does that tell us?

Think about the 1982 Topps "Blackless". The omission of the black ink affected 132 cards and is pretty universal in appearance on the affected cards and there are multiple copies of each card int he marketplace that all look alike.

1958 Topps Hank Aaron authentic "yellowless" is a unicorn.
I'm not sure we can reliably say "All" although I'd readily agree to "most" or even "nearly all"

The partial sheet shown here is unevenly faded, but shows the surrounding cards. http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/2010/05/88s-key.html

The masks used to make the plates were assembled by hand, and an error wouldn't be entirely unheard of. I'm not entirely sure if they used a photo negative of the entire sheet and masked off portions or used some other method,(Portions of a sheet more likely, individual cards possible but unlikely) but there are differences throughout Topps production. With the white/yellow team or player name cards we know that the yellow part of things was redone at least once.

Topps didn't necessarily use a strict CMYK setup, and the blue used wasn't always a straight Cyan. Going away from true Cyan means custom mixing the color, and that was done manually. So there will be different shades of the blue used. inking levels, water levels, and stuff done to adjust the thickness of the ink could also change the look.

There are a few ways a color can be missing. Some affect only part of a plate -1990 Thomas no name and the others were probably from tape blocking part of the light while the plate was being exposed. A sheet can get folded over blocking part of the print. Foreign material can get into the press blocking some portion of the print. Some of these would produce only one card, some more than one.

1982 blackless are their own puzzle. Topps at the time printed large sheets which were dual 132 card sheets that got cut down into 132 card sheets probably to make handling easier. Usually those sheets were not the same sheet but two different sheets side by side. To only affect half of that large sheet would require some odd circumstances. I believe the late 50's sheets were also printed as dual sheets as there are usually two different sheets for each series.

A genuine blue 58 Topps Aaron may be a unicorn, but may also be a findable unicorn. The hard question is how to tell for sure.

Steve B
Old 11-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Al Richter

Default 1982 Blackless

I think I have a full set of Blackless and it numbers 396, although one seller claims several variation ( 8) Blackless cards as well ( making a "master" set 404). It involved the A, B and C sheets. In addition you can do what one seller calls a Blacklessing set, which involves gray instead of no black. I have a bunch of the Blacklessing cards but never did the whole set that way

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-08-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by con40 View Post
All 1958 Topps Aarons are faded. Maybe the first few were unintentional finds in card shops where the octogenarian owner left his inventory in the window for a decade, but since then, several of these have popped up with different shades of blue (cyan ink).

If the yellow was truly omitted from just one card on the sheet (really?) then that blue would be just solid cyan ink and would look the same all the time since it's just solid ink.

If the yellow had been omitted from even a portion of the print plate, then we'd see more "yellowless" 58s out there. News flash.... there are no others! Hmmm, what does that tell us?

Think about the 1982 Topps "Blackless". The omission of the black ink affected 132 cards and is pretty universal in appearance on the affected cards and there are multiple copies of each card int he marketplace that all look alike.

1958 Topps Hank Aaron authentic "yellowless" is a unicorn.
^^I 100% agree.^^ There are a lot of things I don't know about cards but I am an expert in this small area. I have never seen a real 58 Aaron Blue error card and that includes everyone pictured on Net54 and the ones I have seen on eBay/internet. This particular year just fades super easy.

In hand when you know what to look for they stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:33 AM

Steve - please go look at post #27 in this thread. I used to think the blue Aaron was legit because of the very sheet you showed ... but read my comments (especially on Burdette and Logan). It's pretty obvious that this sheet faded from sun exposure -it's not evidence of a blue Aaron. In fact it is just the opposite.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 11-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, faded for sure. And as I said unevenly.

I was going to point out that the Aaron and at least a couple cards around it have the white/yellow letters variation, and that if someone was working from the top to the bottom of the sheet making the masks Aaron is the first card with a green background. If someone was going to make a mistake in removing yellow and remove the entire background instead of just the part where the name is that would be the most likely place for it to happen.

Steve B
* Who really needs to shorten some posts so he doesn't forget some of the main points
Old 11-11-2016, 12:27 AM
Rocky Rockwell

For what its worth, I bought a common 1958 Topps card about 10 years ago at a show from an album of 50 cent cards definitely missing the yellow overprint which is why I bought it. You could tell the guys face looked black and white ..... very cool error I think. I will try and dig it out of my boxes to tell you more.... sadly for this forum Im so bad with computers I may not be able to scan it but maybe one of my kids can help me get it posted. So dont write the whole thing off as a phoney yet!!!
Old 11-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
For what its worth, I bought a common 1958 Topps card about 10 years ago at a show from an album of 50 cent cards definitely missing the yellow overprint which is why I bought it. You could tell the guys face looked black and white ..... very cool error I think. I will try and dig it out of my boxes to tell you more.... sadly for this forum Im so bad with computers I may not be able to scan it but maybe one of my kids can help me get it posted. So dont write the whole thing off as a phoney yet!!!
Would love to see your card. If you need any help posting the picture feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help get it posted. Real missing yellow cards are almost as rare as a unicorn. I have seen less than 5 in 30 years.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 AM
Al Richter

Default Blue

Nice-- I assume from your post that you just bought the Aaron and not the album or some of the other yellow less cards in it.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:13 AM
Rocky Rockwell

No like I said its a common 1958.... the only one Ive ever seen. The only other time I saw a card I thought looked weird that I bought was just recently the last card in the 1949 Bowman high numbers at a show for 5 bucks sold as a common.... had what I thought was missing color also although now after some research I think its one of the ones referred to as "SLATE".... I think its cool also.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:40 AM
Al Richter

Nice-- what do you collect besides "weird" cards. If you have not browsed through the variations thread on this page, you can find a lot of weird stuff there

By the way, welcome aboard

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-12-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Rocky Rockwell

I cant even say what I collect.... all sports, mostly paper, anything that "not everyone has" which means nothing after 1980, love to find unusual stuff at low prices even if its not going to be a big money maker, just to say I have something rare. My wife sez Im nuts which is basically right for any collector I think. Today hauled home a Foreman VS Ali pennant from the "Fight of the Century", some Jacksonville Suns minor league generic forms from 25 years ago (not filled out) and some Between the Acts cigar arena cards from about 100 years ago. More junk for the boxes!! Anyhow, I DID find the 1958 yellow-less card, it is a Dick Williams ....ex condition, could it be faded??? I guess so, but definitely no yellow at all. Remember, I found it with an album of about 100 other 1958s and none of them looked like this because I searched before I bought this one. Will try to get it scanned but my kids will have to help me.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:54 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Default Thoughts on this one?

Hello everyone. Sorry to bump an old thread but was just thinking what to do with this card? Was thinking of selling but I don't really know what to make of these blue ones.

What I know about my copy is I've had it since the 1990's,I bought it from a local shop as a teenager for 40 bucks I think (my first Hank Aaron card). It wasn't sold as any variation, I don't think any variations were known at the time. I had it for years and it's always been blue, I never had it in any light! Mine is a deep blue almost turquoise. I got graded fairly recently, had it raw for probably a little under 20 years. Seems some fall into the "every one is light altered" camp and others think there were factory issued. I find it interesting that the green ones, some have white names (with bottom words still in yellow) or yellow names with yellow team name.

I think it's a really neat card but am unsure what to do with it if I were ever to want to sell it. Just figured I'd add mine to the thread and hear some thoughts... Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32296941973_faaae559db_z.jpg (52.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 32296938253_c82e3d830a_z.jpg (57.1 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 32296935383_56a558cdd1_z.jpg (53.7 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by yanksfan09; 02-25-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Hello everyone. Sorry to bump an old thread but was just thinking what to do with this card? Was thinking of selling but I don't really know what to make of these blue ones.

What I know about my copy is I've had it since the 1990's,I bought it from a local shop as a teenager for 40 bucks I think (my first Hank Aaron card). It wasn't sold as any variation, I don't think any variations were known at the time. I had it for years and it's always been blue, I never had it in any light! Mine is a deep blue almost turquoise. I got graded fairly recently, had it raw for probably around 20 years. Seems some fall into the "every one is light altered" camp and others think there were factory issued. I find it interesting that the green ones, some have white names (with bottom words still in yellow) or yellow names with yellow team name.

I think it's a really neat card but am unsure what to do with it if I were ever to want to sell it. Just figured I'd add mine to the thread and hear some thoughts... Thanks
That card is 100% faded from light exposure. Your card has a few signs that is is faded and not a real missing/low yellow ink card.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:27 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Thanks for response Ben, what shows that it's light exposure?

I'm interested in hearing any/all points of view.

I added a couple more angles ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32957188822_4db57d20e7_z.jpg (56.6 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 33071910466_374fcc16a1_z.jpg (68.4 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 32268284704_50143a174f_z.jpg (47.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:31 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Also, excuse my ignorance, What is the reason for some green background ones have white name and yellow on bottom, and others being all yellow name/team?
Old 02-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here's the basic problem with these: if you can manufacture one with sunlight and time, which I have seen people actually do with other green cards from the set, then there is no way to know whether you are buying a faded card or a print freak. It kills the marketability of the card IMO.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-25-2017, 04:06 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Here's the basic problem with these: if you can manufacture one with sunlight and time, which I have seen people actually do with other green cards from the set, then there is no way to know whether you are buying a faded card or a print freak. It kills the marketability of the card IMO.
In hand it is really easy to tell if they are a print freak or faded. Even with most pictures it is very easy to tell the difference.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 PM

Here's a "blue" 1959 Topps Ernie Banks that recently showed up on eBay for a tidy sum. It's obviously a card that sat in a glass display case at a sports card store exposed to sunlight. The green area is where the price tag was that sheltered that small area from sunlight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59eb blue.jpg (76.8 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Here's a "blue" 1959 Topps Ernie Banks that recently showed up on eBay for a tidy sum. It's obviously a card that sat in a glass display case at a sports card store exposed to sunlight. The green area is where the price tag was that sheltered that small area from sunlight.
If not for the price sticker leaving the green(yellow ink) it probably would have sold for much more.

I disappoint people on their rare missing ink cards all the time. Bad part is most think their card is the only real one and the rest are altered.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:28 AM
Al Richter

"It's not easy staying green"... Kermit

"I see fields of blue..."..... L Armstrong

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-25-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Green, green
It's green they say
On the far side of the hill

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Al Richter

....I'm going away to where the grass is bluer still