NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-17-2017, 07:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Not as neat of a discovery, X2. (post cards)

To further add to my latest Mantle pic post, I also came across these which I forgot I had.
Like I mentioned last year, I was out of the hobby for 30+ years so like a lot things over that time frame, these were also forgotten about.

I know very little about them, or if any have any value, etc, but I think they are pretty cool to have as these were likely cut out and saved by my Father.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post 1.jpg (79.7 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg Post 2.jpg (79.2 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg Post 3.jpg (79.4 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg Post 4.jpg (80.4 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg Post 5.jpg (80.0 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg Post 6.jpg (79.6 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by irv; 08-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Most of them would only grade Authentic so you're going to lose some interested buyers. Check them to see if they're plentiful for sale or short printed.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Most of them would only grade Authentic so you're going to lose some interested buyers. Check them to see if they're plentiful for sale or short printed.
Why is that, John? Most have perforations or hints of the blue borders but I assume there is more to it than that?

Looking at this link, I found out they are 1962's and also found out some have some pretty good value if this list is accurate?
https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguid...st-cereal/1185

These are some of what I have and their MT-9 values. I am not sure how these are graded but I would say most of mine are EX+ with some higher and some lower?

Gordie Coleman #116 $450 MT-9
Norm Siebern #92 $350 MT-9 (I have 2 copies)
Early Wynn #55 $300 MT-9
Pete Runnels #57 $150 MT-9
Frank Robinson #122 $250 MT-9
Norm Larker #113 $300 MT-9
Joey Jay #124 (Blue lines around stats) $600 MT-9
Don Drysdale #110 $150 MT-9 (mine's like a 2-4?)
Carlton Willey #155 $150 MT-9
Old 08-18-2017, 09:57 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Ah, if those are all the perforated versions, then they would grade higher than authentic. However, the cards that were hand-cut should have the full black border around them. And of course, since they're the Canadian versions, they're more rare than the US cards.

Last edited by swarmee; 08-18-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Michael Skiles

Default 1962 Post Cereal Candian

They are 1962 Post Cereal Canadian. Unlike the US version they would have blue borders instead of black ones. The borders are thicker than the US version. The perforated ones do not have blue borders. They were inserted INSIDE Sugar Crisp boxes. They were wrapped in plastic. The buyer did not have the luxury of looking at the back of the box to see which cards were there. The perforated cards are akin to the company sheets offered as a mail-in in 1961. The 61 company sheets were perforated with no borders.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:41 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

And there are quite a few that would only get authentic, like the Kluzeswki, O'Toole, Pascual, Willie Davis, etc. Those cards are trimmed through the dashed borders and would not get number grades.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Michael Skiles

Default 62 Post Canadian

Yes, while I said no borders on the perforated cards, they did have a thin blue dotted line in which to cut where there was no perforation. I have a full sheet. If there is any interest I can scan and post.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Mike Dugan

Irv if I had one of my Dad's sets I would finish it leave them in pages and enjoy it until you passed it your children! Just my thought.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
They are 1962 Post Cereal Canadian. Unlike the US version they would have blue borders instead of black ones. The borders are thicker than the US version. The perforated ones do not have blue borders. They were inserted INSIDE Sugar Crisp boxes. They were wrapped in plastic. The buyer did not have the luxury of looking at the back of the box to see which cards were there. The perforated cards are akin to the company sheets offered as a mail-in in 1961. The 61 company sheets were perforated with no borders.
Quote:
And there are quite a few that would only get authentic, like the Kluzeswki, O'Toole, Pascual, Willie Davis, etc. Those cards are trimmed through the dashed borders and would not get number grades.
Quote:
Yes, while I said no borders on the perforated cards, they did have a thin blue dotted line in which to cut where there was no perforation. I have a full sheet. If there is any interest I can scan and post.
Great info, guys, thanks.

In the link I posted, it mentioned "Blue lines around stats" on the Joey Jay card. Am I thinking correctly that that is the area on the bottom that is obviously around the stats or are they referring to the blue borders?

That would be great if you could post up a scan, Micheal. I would like to see that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Irv if I had one of my Dad's sets I would finish it leave them in pages and enjoy it until you passed it your children! Just my thought.
I was actually thinking about sending some of these in for grading as I have never done that before, but with this new info, and the fact they are not likely worth as much as I was thinking, I will likely just sell them if anyone is interested?

In my FlickR link below, among all the other 52 Topps cards, are 148 my Father gave me many years ago. I have been trying, (although it's highly unlikely I'll ever finish it), to add to it as much as possible in hopes to show him someday what a completed, or almost completed set looks like.
That is my main focus and where 99% of my play money currently goes so completing this Post set, at this time, is out of the question.

If and when I ever get close to completing this 52 Topps set, and like my Father did for me, and if things don't change, I will hopefully be passing these cards onto my son.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Michael Skiles

Default More 62 Canadian

Irv,

Attached is a Sugar Crisp sheet. You will note the Joey Jay card. Jay was also on the back of the Bran Flakes cereal. That card would have blue borders. I have also scanned an Eddie Yost card. That card has blue borders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post 62 Canadian Sugar Crisp Sheet.jpg (79.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Yost Blue Borders.jpg (79.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-21-2017, 06:08 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Irv,

Attached is a Sugar Crisp sheet. You will note the Joey Jay card. Jay was also on the back of the Bran Flakes cereal. That card would have blue borders. I have also scanned an Eddie Yost card. That card has blue borders.
Thank you very much, Michael.

Is that Joey Jay card really worth that much money, or am I missing something?
Joey Jay #124 (Blue lines around stats) $600 MT-9
Old 08-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Value

Irv,

The prices that were quoted to you were for the 62 US cards. The Jay card in the US set is framed in red. However there are blue lines in the stat box. Card is rare and there is a Koufax and a Clemente with the same anomaly. I can post pictures as I have all three.

The Jay in the Canadian set is worth 8-10 dollars depending on condition. The Sugar Crisp card is usually in better shape than the Bran Flakes card.

Mike
Old 08-22-2017, 05:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Irv,

The prices that were quoted to you were for the 62 US cards. The Jay card in the US set is framed in red. However there are blue lines in the stat box. Card is rare and there is a Koufax and a Clemente with the same anomaly. I can post pictures as I have all three.

The Jay in the Canadian set is worth 8-10 dollars depending on condition. The Sugar Crisp card is usually in better shape than the Bran Flakes card.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I knew I couldn't be that lucky!

Would love to see those pics if it's not too much trouble?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Michael Skiles

Default 62 Blue Lines in Stats

Irv,

Here are the three from the 62 US set.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Line 62.jpg (99.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:40 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Irv,

Here are the three from the 62 US set.

Mike
Thanks, Michael.

Those are some great looking cards!
Old 08-25-2017, 05:05 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

irv, I would caution you against using PSA 9 prices for cards that are cut from boxes. Many have spider wrinkles from the scissors used to cut them, which would put them at a 3-4 range if they even deserve a number grade at all. The three just shown with red borders would all likely get PSA AUTH, not number grades.
PSA 9s of cereal box cards from the 60s are super rare examples and are priced accordingly by the registry set collectors. Many were probably cut in the past 10 years, not 50 years ago by the kids that originally collected them. Many also have glue stains on the back because of the box construction. For the American Post cereal cards from 1963, it looks like PSA considers the commons in PSA 5 to be worth $3 and in PSA 9 of $60. That's a 20:1 ratio of a 9 to an Excellent card.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
irv, I would caution you against using PSA 9 prices for cards that are cut from boxes. Many have spider wrinkles from the scissors used to cut them, which would put them at a 3-4 range if they even deserve a number grade at all. The three just shown with red borders would all likely get PSA AUTH, not number grades.
PSA 9s of cereal box cards from the 60s are super rare examples and are priced accordingly by the registry set collectors. Many were probably cut in the past 10 years, not 50 years ago by the kids that originally collected them. Many also have glue stains on the back because of the box construction. For the American Post cereal cards from 1963, it looks like PSA considers the commons in PSA 5 to be worth $3 and in PSA 9 of $60. That's a 20:1 ratio of a 9 to an Excellent card.
Thanks, John.

I know now from the info I have received, that these cards are nothing like I had originally thought.
Lots have those glue stains, among other issues, so no thoughts now about sending them in.

I appreciate the info.

Last edited by irv; 08-27-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Glue Stains

Irv,

The glue stains are normal on some of the Post Cereal cards. They come from the plastic bag that holds the cereal and was in some cases glued to the inside of the box. PSA has very little knowledge of the Post Cereal cards and in MY opinion doesn't take many of the nuances of the set into consideration. There are some cards that will not have black or blue borders due to the box that they were on. There were no gaps between the cards as there were on the other boxes that would allow the cards to be cut "outside" the borders. Since the cards were blank backed I find it silly that a card with glue stains and all borders would be graded less. It's silly. The glue stains are part of the product and don't damage the front of the card. Their logic in my opinion is baffling.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:50 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
There were no gaps between the cards as there were on the other boxes that would allow the cards to be cut "outside" the borders.
This! If you are going to grade any hand-cut card, as long as there is part of the complete dotted line showing on all sides, this should qualify as properly cut. Obviously, my opinion.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Irv,

The glue stains are normal on some of the Post Cereal cards. They come from the plastic bag that holds the cereal and was in some cases glued to the inside of the box. PSA has very little knowledge of the Post Cereal cards and in MY opinion doesn't take many of the nuances of the set into consideration. There are some cards that will not have black or blue borders due to the box that they were on. There were no gaps between the cards as there were on the other boxes that would allow the cards to be cut "outside" the borders. Since the cards were blank backed I find it silly that a card with glue stains and all borders would be graded less. It's silly. The glue stains are part of the product and don't damage the front of the card. Their logic in my opinion is baffling.
I agree with what you're saying, Michael, it does seem silly so hopefully someday, if there's enough that get graded, they will get a little better/more knowledgeable when it comes to these cards.

Thanks again for the info!