NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Dan Bretta

Default Like Christmas Day....

Ever purchase a lot with terrible photos on a whim holding out hope that there is a lot of hidden treasure? I did that with a pinback lot recently in which I could only make out a few of the pins...I was hoping for some great baseball and sports pinbacks, but only got a few in the lot...the lot was definitely worth it value wise because of all the great advertising and political pins. The first picture shows the lot as I saw it (yes, that's really how they listed this lot)...the bottom two pics show the sports pins I got...the last one appears to be a rowing team, I don't know from where, but I surmise it is Minnesota because a large majority of the pins are related to MN in some way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sa16817871031-py.jpg (41.7 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg baseball 001.jpg (54.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg baseball 002.jpg (66.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM

About three years ago, a local auction house that I often go to had a group of pins listed on their web site but didn't show any individual ones, just a group shot from a long distance.

From what I could see, the pins looked older.

I woke up early the day of the auction and was prepared to go then, at the last moment, decided against it and went back to bed. Dumb idea.

A person that I know sells on eBay bought some of the pins and listed them that next week. One of the pins he listed was a Cameo Pepsin pin with the paper backing. Both the pin and the backing were in nice shape. The pin sold on eBay for over $400 dollars.

A few weeks later I went to the auction and asked the guy about the pins and he said the auctioneer let people buy the pins by choice and then sold the rest as a group. He picked out four that he liked and let somebody else get the rest. I asked what he paid for the pins but he didn't tell me. However, based on his starting prices on eBay, I know it was less than $30 dollars a pin and probably much less.

So, whenever I see a group of pins like the one that is shown, I always remember what I missed out on because I didn't want to take the time and drive 20 minutes to an auction.

David