NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-03-2009, 06:46 AM
John

Default Problem - Faded autographs

I borrowed ErikV's photo from the "everything Dodgers" thread to illustrate the following:
Obviously, certain ink colors or ink types behave differently over time. Other than Sharpie, has anyone pinpointed what survives best over the years?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74lad5.JPG (56.3 KB, 188 views)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I've had good luck with Bic medium point pens (on balls). There is definately a problem with some inks fading more than others, although most of the ones that I've seen were already light right after they were signed and then faded even worse. On the other side, I've seen some inks that will turn more of an aqua color while still being fairly dark. The latter discription isn't even an environment or light issue since I've had a couple balls do that even when they were kept air and light tight for 20 years.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 PM

Blue ballpoint pens aren't perfect, but decent. I think black ballpoint is more likely to fade on balls. I'd be wary of felt tip pens on baseballs. Old fountain pen on vintage letters, contracts and such often last very well-- though letters and contracts usually weren't displayed in light.

Last edited by drc; 12-03-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Richard Simon

I have been asked similar questions many times.
I always tell people the same thing, keep the ball out of sunlight and away from flourescent light and in a cool dry place. Though if you looked at my single signed baseballs of Terry and Hubbell you can see that that rule does not necessarily always work.
I don't think anyone has ever quite figured out what is the best ink to use on a ball, though I do think Bic medium point is probably the best pen to use now. Remember, you are placing a chemical on an animal hide,,, anything can happen, unfortunately.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-04-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
William Peebles

It really depends on the leather, some are prone to bleed while others aren't. I've found that a ball with a thick hide and a really tight, smooth grain is best for ball point. Nothing that've found is 100% stable. Staedtler fine tip markers seem to be the best available today. They completely dry before the signature is finished and they don't fade. Problem is that most people have heard horrible things about sharpies on baseballs and won't use them. As a result, if you are collecting for today, but may sell down the line, they don't seem to hold value as much as a ball point. With autograph prices the way they are, it's a valid concern.