NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-13-2013, 02:17 PM

Default Help with IDing baseball auto

Hi everyone, I was recently looking through old baseballs I got signed around 2001ish.

The only 2 autos I have ID'd were Greg Riddoch - TB 3rd base coach and Don Buford, Jr. (Don Buford's son who never made it to the show). Are these worth anything?

Edit: got them all, thanks!

The first one looks like Scott Brosius. The first name definitely looks like Scott and he is the only player who's name is even close that wore number 18. But I searched and his other autographs look different. It is possible it was a minor league player but it's on a American League official ball, my other minor league autos are on MiLB balls. Any help on this please?

(Royals pitcher Scott Service)

Both of these are on American League official balls. No idea really who they are.

(Ricky Bones and Albert Belle)

This one looks pretty clear but I cannot find any players with a name similar to this in the 2001ish time frame.

(Billy Hatcher as TB coach)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by M4A1Carbine; 04-14-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM
M@tt Schw@de

It's tough to tell on the one because of the angle, but it looks like it could be Albert Belle.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
It's tough to tell on the one because of the angle, but it looks like it could be Albert Belle.
Agreed on the Belle. Can't see the last name well, but that sure looks like Albert's signing of his first name.

The first auto is most certainly an SS, not SB (Scott Brosius). I would guess Seth Smith if you hadn't produced an older time frame.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM
J Stone

I kind of agree on the Belle, if so, he's one of the toughest post 1990s autographs there is.

The last one is, and it hurts me to say it, Billy Hatcher, erstwhile Mr October 1990. I don't know what he was on during the Series, but the A's pitchers couldn't figure it out.

Out here in Oakland he's public enemy #3, right behind Kirk Gibson and Jeter.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

The top ball is former Phillies/Royals pitcher Scott Service. Not to be confused with Scott Servais the catcher whose name is pronounced identically.

The ball next to the Albert Belle ball (that is indeed Albert) is I believe Rich Aude, a cup of coffee guy with the Pirates in the mid 90s.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM

You guys are unbelievably good at that. You got two of them for sure, the 2nd right one is definitely Albert Bell. We went to a lot of Oriole's games so that would make sense. You said this was a rare or hard to find auto?

Last one is Billy Hatcher, another one that makes sense because we went to a lot of Rays games and he was on their coaching for several years in the time period I received these.

Still unsure on the first two though. It does look like Scott Service, but I can't find anytime he wore #18 which is clearly written. His auto looks similar though:

Rich Aude is good, but the autograph looks different from his others. I can't find anything with an "o" in the top of the "R" and I don't think he ever wore #49. It's a little too early as well, looks like he played 93-96 and I would have gotten these autographs between 98-02.

Great job so far, I appreciate it! Any other opinions on the first two?

Last edited by M4A1Carbine; 04-13-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 PM
M@tt Schw@de

I don't think it's Rich Aude either. Who else is on that particular baseball?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Banned

i dont see any double s that wore 18
http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...mber=18&year=0
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I don't think Belle is a particularly tough auto, although I may be mistaken. I think he's $20 on a single-signed ball.

Ken
Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I don't think Belle is a particularly tough auto, although I may be mistaken. I think he's $20 on a single-signed ball.

Ken
Albert Belle is tough when he signed Joey. I had two instances where it was just he and I at the ballpark. The first time was when he went by Joey... I was at the right of the dugout, he was on the top step inside the dugout about an hour and a half before the game. I said Mr. Belle, could you please sign my baseball card? Looked at me (I was about 12 or so at the time) and just shook his head no. Didn't say anything.

And then right after he announced he wanted to go by Albert instead of Joey, he signed two cards for me with no problem. Didn't say a whole lot, but was very nice and willing to sign multiple cards for me. If you have something signed by Joey Belle, it's worth more.

I have seen where he signs now for like $20-30 a pop in a private signing on SC.net.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:11 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
i dont see any double s that wore 18
http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...mber=18&year=0
Scott Service wore #48 on the 98-99 KC Royals.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Scott Service wore #48 on the 98-99 KC Royals.
I was about to say that looked more like a 48 to me than an 18. I'm 100% positive that's Service, I got him many times IP.

And you're right, that's not Aude, that is Ricky Bones. Which is in line with you seeing the Orioles in that time frame.

Last edited by dgo71; 04-14-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
I was about to say that looked more like a 48 to me than an 18. I'm 100% positive that's Service, I got him many times IP.

And you're right, that's not Aude, that is Ricky Bones. Which is in line with you seeing the Orioles in that time frame.
You guys are awesome, that is a #48, just a lazy 4 makes it look like a -1. I don't know how you figured out Ricky Bones but that definitely looks like his.

The first ball has Scott Service, Greg Riddoch (TB 3rd base coach), Billy Hatcher and Ricky Bones. The 2nd ball just has Albert Bell, I don't know why he didn't sign the sweet spot.

How hard is it to ID MiLB players? I have a minor league ball with 3-4 autos on it.

Last edited by M4A1Carbine; 04-14-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Just one of my many useless skills. I get a lot of IP signatures and a lot of them stick with me for some reason. Post the MiLB ball, you never know.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Just one of my many useless skills. I get a lot of IP signatures and a lot of them stick with me for some reason. Post the MiLB ball, you never know.
Well they were certainly useful for me, thank you. I posted the MiLB ball to see what happens.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4A1Carbine View Post
Well they were certainly useful for me, thank you. I posted the MiLB ball to see what happens.
You got some quick answers on that one. All 4 guys were ID'd correctly.