NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

I see it as this...

Sign or don't sign, change your mind, charge as much as you want, sign through the mail if you want, it all makes no difference to me. But if your going to take my money and sign an item for me, you sure as hell better be nice and cordial when you are doing it. You can be as much as an ass if you want if you sign for free, but not on my dollar, that's just poor taste.

As for appearance fee, charge what you want. People talk about how expensive some people are, think about what it will be like in a few years. Stephen Strasburg just signed for $300 a ball, and all he has done is blow out his arm. Imagine when Mike Trout starts charging, $500 a ball would not be out of the question. If some you hoe wants to pay that, he can waste it, I just won't waste mine.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Michael

Default Hendrick

back to Hendrick. About 5 years ago a bunch of us collectors were in the stands at a fall league game and Hendrick entered the stands. W keep cards of about everyone in our cards so 2 of us got cards and each of us sent our wives over- nice middle aged women. He signed a card for both of them. Then he turned everyone else down.
Most of the collectors couldn't believe he signed
Old 01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
back to Hendrick. About 5 years ago a bunch of us collectors were in the stands at a fall league game and Hendrick entered the stands. W keep cards of about everyone in our cards so 2 of us got cards and each of us sent our wives over- nice middle aged women. He signed a card for both of them. Then he turned everyone else down.
Most of the collectors couldn't believe he signed
Reminds me of when I was in high school and my mom would drive my friend and I up to Baltimore to get autographs. Frank Robinson was notorious for never signing, and turned me down more times than I could count. Finally my mom said "give me that card", went up to Robby and he signed for her no problem. For whatever reason he would sign for her every time she asked. She was like 3-for-3 with him, and he'd consistently turn down everyone else.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Reminds me of when I was in high school and my mom would drive my friend and I up to Baltimore to get autographs. Frank Robinson was notorious for never signing, and turned me down more times than I could count. Finally my mom said "give me that card", went up to Robby and he signed for her no problem. For whatever reason he would sign for her every time she asked. She was like 3-for-3 with him, and he'd consistently turn down everyone else.
back in the 80's when I worked in a card shop, the owner and I became friends with O's pitcher Mike Boddicker. One time he asked us to pick him up at the airport since he skipped the team plane from Boston to go home for a day. He asked us if we had room for a couple other guys...thankfully we had a minivan..and out walked Cal Ripken, Jr and Frank Robinson. The stories of Dempsey stealing everyones stuff to give to friends and family was priceless. I think I was too star struck to ask Frank Robby to sign the O's yearbook I was working on, but once he check in and came down from his room to go to the park I asked him...and he said NO!! We should have took the "scenic route" through Detroit and asked him then Mike Boddicker ended up taking it for a couple days and got me Frank and the always elusive Alan Wiggins.

Your mom was lucky..I was a hotel troll, but never managed to get Frank to sign.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Default JimStinson

One of the first autographs I ever asked for was as a kid from LEON WAGNER as he was coming into Yankee Stadium, He told me to "F Off" and laughed as did all his bros ....my father and uncle who heard what he said tried to jump him but security grabbed them. That was a nice introduction into the world of collecting.
Another great experience was with Richie Allen , I had two Phillies photos , Johnny Callison who signed his and Allen who told me to wait until he got back from the bathroom and he would sign. It was a hotel Bar. An hour and a half later I went back into the bar and was told Allen went home. In both cases a NO would have been nice instead of a jack job, so it helps when you expect the worst and are surprised at anything otherwise.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
One of the first autographs I ever asked for was as a kid from LEON WAGNER as he was coming into Yankee Stadium, He told me to "F Off" and laughed as did all his bros ....my father and uncle who heard what he said tried to jump him but security grabbed them. That was a nice introduction into the world of collecting.
Another great experience was with Richie Allen , I had two Phillies photos , Johnny Callison who signed his and Allen who told me to wait until he got back from the bathroom and he would sign. It was a hotel Bar. An hour and a half later I went back into the bar and was told Allen went home. In both cases a NO would have been nice instead of a jack job, so it helps when you expect the worst and are surprised at anything otherwise.

Last edited by isaac2004; 01-24-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Mike Bodner

I think I only got 1 rude response ever from a player in my years of hitting the hotels and that was Johnny Bench, in for CBS radio, who gave me a "yea, bull s**t!" during our exchange...but he still signed!

I had Reggie cornered at the front desk waiting for a package and he said he didn't want to sign, but when I laid 4 cards out he signed "Reggie J" on them. One of my biggest surprises was with Rod Carew. Another collector and I had lost track of time chatting well past midnight when Rod strolled in with a stunning blonde. She held the elevator door and he signed at least a dozen things between us!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
$teve O.

Back in 1980 I was at a Reading Phillies game with some friends.Ozzie Virgil Jr
hit 2 HRs.After the game I went to ask Ozzie to sign my glove.He looked at me and said "I have better things to do." Being 13,I was pretty upset.Then
someone grabbed my arm and said "I'll sign your glove for you."The player signed my glove,talked to me alittle,and thanked me for coming out to see them play.That player was Ryne Sandberg.I guess he didn't have anything better to do.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
That Allen story cold have been worse, he could have came back to sign without washing his hands :0
I agree I remember thinking at the time that after 1 1/2 hours it was the longest CRAP in the history of crap or long....
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Sign or don't sign, change your mind, charge as much as you want, sign through the mail if you want, it all makes no difference to me. But if your going to take my money and sign an item for me, you sure as hell better be nice and cordial when you are doing it. You can be as much as an ass if you want if you sign for free, but not on my dollar, that's just poor taste.
I agree 100%. If you are going to do a job don't act like you are doing the world a favor.

As for Marshall and any other player who refuses to sign on "principle" then signs when the money gets big, I call BS. There is an old joke that sums up how I feel about them:

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Socialite: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-23-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I agree 100%. If you are going to do a job don't act like you are doing the world a favor.

As for Marshall and any other player who refuses to sign on "principle" then signs when the money gets big, I call BS. There is an old joke that sums up how I feel about them:

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Socialite: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.
I love Winston Churchill quotes .....

Here are a couple more good ones

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Nancy Astor: “If you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Brian Macdonald

Imagine all the time wasted declining to sign autographs and the process of explaining why. Better off just signing.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Michael

Default Frank Robinson

My son batboyed for Frank Robinso when he managed Team Usa. He would talk with Noah for hours. Noah had some team leader cards of Frank and others from the 60's signed by everyone except Frank. Frand would say "maybe you'll get me some day" but never signed them
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
My son batboyed for Frank Robinso when he managed Team Usa. He would talk with Noah for hours. Noah had some team leader cards of Frank and others from the 60's signed by everyone except Frank. Frand would say "maybe you'll get me some day" but never signed them
And there we have the opening lesson of How To Be A Douchebag 101: Alienating your next generation of customers.

Of course if your son goes to the National he can pay Frank for an autograph and finish the card.

Or not...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
And there we have the opening lesson of How To Be A Douchebag 101: Alienating your next generation of customers.

Of course if your son goes to the National he can pay Frank for an autograph and finish the card.

Or not...
What would be funny if his son did that.. and said

"Hey Frank, remember me, I talked to you every damn day and you never gave me an autograph. Looks like i had to be pay to "get yours"."

Now that would be good
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Sadly, I think, some folks just enjoy being a dick.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."