NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Default note to the forum

Posted By: Ben

After reading everyone's posts and suggestions here, and thinking about all of this on my own a whole lot, I've come to some conclusions and perhaps a few additional courses of action.

It was always my pleasure to make my collection very accessable to the public, with a website that included links to scans of all my cards on one page. I have an ebay "about me" page which links my website as well. Not only has the site been helpful in networking with fellow collectors, but it allowed for a really simple way of organizing things for myself. But the easy accessibility of the website might have screwed me over in the long run. Like people have said already, phone numbers easy ways of tracking someone's location down...but don't forget that email addresses are just as important. If someone hacks your email account and recovers your password, they can track all your dealings which would obviously include the transaction of home addresses, phone numbers, and all sorts of personal info. Like the juicy tidbit that I was going to be out of town from the 14th to the 21st.

Needless to say, I've changed my passwords on both my email accounts, something you all must do frequently, probably more than one think they should. Once the thieves figure out when you're out of town, they dont even need to be local - can rob you from no matter where they live in North America. I'd imagine it to be quite easy to tap into Montreal's underground crime network to hire a few guys for a quick break in. The connections are there, we just wouldn't know it or even choose to think about it. I never used to be this cynical...heck, I'm sure I wasn't nearly cynical enough for my own good, but with the high potential for breaches of personal security on the internet, this needs to be discussed.

It was mentioned many times that the culprit could be someone close to me. While things do get passed on by word of mouth, I think this is much less likely than the aformentioned possibility. The only people I've shown a few cards to are my bestest of friends, no more than 3 or 4 MALES. I would never talk about cards to girls, everyone here knows that talking cards is NOT a good way of attracting the opposite sex. So no, none of my ex-girlfriends are potential leads.

I've said it before, I don't have a single "in the flesh" friend that cares about cards in the slightest way. I have many "email and internet buddies" with whom I've bought from, sold to, and traded with, that care about cards in a large way. Could the thief have found out about my collection through this site, and its 2 year or so presence on the vintage links page? Certainly possible. Could the theif be someone I've sold bought or traded cards to in the past? Possible as well I guess.

If the thief is perchance reading this (you never know, folks) I tell you right now: my collection isn't a safe sell for you. Certainly selling my cards where it would be most profitable, on ebay, isn't an option. There are about 50 hungry network 54 freaks all over your filthy ass if you do, and if you're smart, you already know that. Your other options are to sell to local dealers or through classified ads. That move might be safe, but only for a short period of time. The person who buys them from you will flip them, and eventually they will be traced back to you. If you're reading this, thiefy boy, I'd like to make you an offer. Give my collection back to me, and not only will I let you go scott free, but I will also reward you $1000 in cash. I will also call up the police and call off the investigation that is ongoing. I will email back all the dealers that I have waiting and expecting for my cards to be offered to them, and tell them that they have been found.

I think I need some advice from some of you top notch lawyers, on how exactly to go about initiating an investigation in the perpetrator's area of residence, if it is infact outside of Montreal. And what to do if a card were to show up on ebay. The last think I think we'd want to do is bombard the seller with emails, that might scare off leads to potentially invaluable information. I think something like a tapped phone call to the seller would be the way to go, but again, I am out of my element in these areas.

Finally, thank you to the people that have continued to email me. I am going to get through this ok, even if I never see one of my old cards again. A smart guy I once knew told me that until tested, one’s self-imagined character is purely theoretical. One’s actions during times of relative harmony tend to reveal only one’s idealization or hoped for image of self. The true character of an individual is revealed when it is faced with adversity. I never fully realized the wisdom in these words until now.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HW

Ben, I just got done reading through your whole ordeal. Boy, you have a great outlook on everything and I certainly appreciate your comments. I know that I owuld not have that much composure if it had happened to me.

Wishing you the best with the aftermath.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Ben, I believe this to be irrelevant... well mostly - but the past two times you mailed me cards I simply discarded the envelopes into the trashcan near my PO Box at the post office. A string of me feels guilty for that - but hell I am a million miles away in Sunny FL so I highly doubt it has any relation to your horror story. It was just something that crossed my mind so I figured it was worth a mention. Again very sorry to hear of your loss... I really don't know that I could handle it as publicly open-minded as you are. My mind would be going in 5 zillion different directions - I'd be lost. All the best, bud.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Ben,
I have been closely following your ordeal on network54 and amazed by all the help people have been offering. I also am embarrassed to say I don't think you and I know each other, but I feel like I've gotten to know you in the last few days. What you went through is disheartening but it does sound like you have come to terms with it. I am not a lawyer, but I wish to respond to something you mentioned in this post. Your offer of $1000 to the thief and your promise to call off the investigation (and I must say it is almost certain that such a cretin does not read this website) sounds like a worthy plan but I would advise you not to meet with him face to face if you have any hope of retrieving the collection. That just sounds too dangerous and he could bring a gun and just take your thousand. There must be a better way to do it but again he probably has not read your post and is unaware of your offer. Even if he read network54 to find you, he is probably done with it by now. Anyway, I wish you the best and hope something postive comes out of this.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

have and found out you'd be out of town for a week.

Why you? Are your cards more valuable than mine? I've been just as careless as you.

You say none of your friends are interested in cards. Are they interested in money?

I'm trying to be as nasty as I can!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

BEN - Hang in there, ya never know how its gonna play out.

Also, a note to everyone that buys, sells or trades cards & memorabilia.
Get a Post Office Box! Have all your items and correspondences sent there. No need to have your home address listed on every thing you ship and everything incoming. Many collectors have their collections all over the place in their home, be it autographs, advertising display pieces and game used items on display. Others have cards in full view too! With this in mind, there is no need to advertise where you live. A P. O box may help shield your location a bit.
Just a thought in these paranoid times...jay

Old 02-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I agree it sadly could be a friend....hope not!

How would someone know how easy it would have been to get in ?... still could have been the landlord too. The fact that someone consoling you could be reaping at the same time. Seems to me that it may not have too hard to plan at all....really odd.

What a great frame of mind, mine would be crippled.

A bonus surely is the many expierienced eyes searching for you .Hopefully something comes about soon for your piece of mind. It will remain a heartfelt situation until resolved.

Words arent enough.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rick

Ben,
Over the years, friends and family who know me and my passion for memorabilia always say things like."do youhave all of this insured?" "why don't you keep it in a safe deposit box?" etc. etc.
quite frankly I like to have my cards amd other items close to me to enjoy anytime I want to. But your ordeal has made me re-think my position. I spent a month lurking before I joined in, because I have never gotten involved in a chat room before for just these reasons. It is too easy to accidently give out personal information no matter how innocent it seems.
Think about how many people right now on this board are "going to the National" "going out of town". Somepeople are out of town right now.
Those are things that a professional thief would love to know. My thinking is I hope more people think twice now about what they say and to whom. It is a dishonest world out there and someone is always looking to make a quick buck at someonelse's expense. I don't get HBO, and just recently started watching all the old Saprano episodes. Oganized crime is not out of the question on this. Especially for a piece of cardboard that is sometimes worth thousands of dollars.
I know we have all adobted cards to look out for, and I hope this scum is caught. I also am suggesting that if by chance this scumbag takes you up on your offer, it would only take 20 of us at $50.00 a person to help. Put me down for $100.00
Just say the word. I have learned more than a $100.00 worth of information from this forum, and would be glad to help. What ever you do,don't let this kill your passion for your hobby interest. That I think is something you will regret more that the loss of the cards themselves.
People are there to help, and they want to help, because they can only immagine what you are going through.
again, best of luck and keep us posted.
rick

Old 02-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Administrator

If one of us should see one of Ben's cards, on ebay, at an auction, at a show--what would Ben like us to do?

Old 02-24-2005, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: FatBoy

I will also offer $100 to Ben if the thief wants to grab a quick buck.

If theres no luck getting this collection back......

I don't think theres a better time to do something good. Ben shares the same passion for these cards as we all do for ours, we can all relate to his loss. I think we give it a couple of months, if theres no luck in finding this collection...we have the resources in vintage cardboard here (more than you can find in any one place readily) to assemble another. This is our chance to support a fellow collector, we have the means to do it, we replace the collection.

I'd be happy to replace Ben's T3 with another.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator

SEE TWO POSTS ABOVE).

As for replacing Ben's collection, Ben has said several times that he does NOT WANT THAT DONE. I'm bidding on a card that both he and I have an interest in--but if he says NO, you have to respect his wishes. I think maybe some time passing might change his mind.

He is not usually averse to presents!

Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I don't know Julie. How about: buy it and find out where to send the money order?

Old 02-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

If we "definitely" see one BEN's cards then I think we should, by all means, "buy" it and find out where to send the funds. Also, we need to notify Ben (and anyone else he may select - in case he's not available) so that they can notify the proper authorities. Do you want to send funds? I wouldn't because someone in possession of stolen property could be someone that would also not send the card to you after receiving payment.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The essential thing is to find out the name and contact info of the person selling it.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mcavoy

Since I do not know any of the Board, I am a lurker, and I post occasionally, I suppose I could email Ben, but then Ben does not know me.

I imagine, at this point, Ben has lots of future help; however, additional information would be nice to have for those of us interested and not in the inner circles of Ben's friends. For instance, if Ben wants recovery, I believe the following information would be useful for those of us not desiring direct contact with Ben and interested in assisting Ben, such as:

1. A correct and complete list of missing items would be nice, with the specific scan and/or description. Maybe this is already available. Where? Post a specific new link, or an updated link within the posts. The posts sugggest the initial list Ben posted is incomplete.

2. The case officer, contact information, and case number. IMO, if one sees the card for sale, trying to buy it, well, maybe the proper authorities should be involved, first. But, hey, I'm no lawyer, and this Board has lots of those. Me, I'd probably contact Ben or Bill via email, but it'd be nice to know the official info, too.

Anyone who has been in the apt is a reasonable suspect. 3 or 4 male friends are not the only possibilities. Any(one) or any woman who has been in the apartment, and either saw Ben with cards, or was left alone and had time to look around, could have discovered the storage location. Some service persons look around if opportunity knocks and they are predisposed. Significant others can be curious, and look around when the other is out or in the bath, or etc. Lots of educated people either have hobbies or are aware of collectibles hobbies; sports collectibles are known to varying degrees to the general population. My bro's best first pawned my bro's guitars because the guy had rent and bills to pay. No, they aren't best friends anymore. Some of the guitars had some value but were pawned for small $$$. Otherwise good persons, or extrememly jealous individuals, can do things when either pressed or opportunities are present.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

Lead to something like this happening. You may have only told 3-4 buddies about them, but it only takes one off hand comment by one of them to someone they meet who happens to also "collect" cards to start down the slippery slope. I have most of my purchases shipped to my work address, so they aren't sitting outside in the mailbox. My receptionist asked what was in the semi-regular packages that I kept getting. I told her, and before I knew it the mailman is striking up a conversation with me about his love of old cards. This guy was 60 if he was a day old, but age doesn't really matter. He could easily rob me blind. Thankfully there is a new mail carrier now, and a new receptionist (no I didn't have them killed )

I guess what I am saying is, no matter how trusted your friends are, unknowingly they may have played a role in this. Gonna have to look into a PO Box now.

I am in for $20 to help Ben in the buy-off if indeed he accepts.

Bill Kasel