NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
How do you know their skill set isn't exactly as advertised? These cards fooled seasoned veteran collectors, some of which specialize in this exact area. People get fooled sometimes. This forger was prolific and from all outward appearances (huge sales) very good at what they did. No one questioned whether or not the autographs were right. It was only found that they couldn't be right when the original scans were dug up. If the signatures were blatantly fake, that's one thing. But as we can all see from the high dollar sales of these cards, the signatures fooled almost everyone who came in contact with them.
Well, t least JSA is consistent in being fooled "sometimes".

I'm going to go out on a limb here - if someone (JSA, PSA or SGC) didn't cert the signatures, then there wouldn't have been near the amount of cash involved at the time the hammer hit the gavel.

Not saying that people shouldn't rely solely on certs, but that's where the appearance of validity begins. If someone or organization is getting fooled that often, then perhaps they need to re-evaluate their career path...

http://http://www.net54baseball.com/...1&d=1544487620
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JSA tp.jpg (19.6 KB, 1385 views)
Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
there has been some speculation as to how long these authenticators actually spend reviewing each signature. I have been attending the HOF induction ceremony for years. James Spence and his crew are always in attendance. He usually has a couple of young guys set up at tables for authenticating autos that are being signed in person. for instance. MAB always sets up and has dozens of signers. you enter through the front door of the Inn where the signing takes place. go to the athlete you paid for and get the sigs. after which, you exit out a back door and walk around to the front of the building where JSA is set up to "authenticate" one guy will enter the player/item into their data base, the other affixes a sticker to the memorabilia. they hardly even look at the item. a forger could bring dozens of baseballs, bats, uniforms etc around the side of the building and get in line for "authentication". I have never seen an item even questioned. it is literally an assembly line. THere is absolutely no authentication going on there, just data entry. I have been watching this for years and years.

James himself also does "authentication" in Cooperstown. he sets up at the small card show. I have watched him work many many times and have been quite underwhelmed. there is usually a pretty long line, and people walk right up to him and have him "authenticate" their items in front of them. this is where vintage items are done. the absolute longest I have ever seen him look at an item is no longer than 20-30 seconds. and that was for a multi signed baseball. it is VERY fast. then he hands the item back, enters the data into his template and boom, LOA.

At least for JSA, we are not even paying for a few minutes of their time when they are authenticating items. It really is just a few seconds. it is very casual, and I felt uncomfortable having the client watching him work. Seems that there could be situations where he could be pressured into passing an item.

that is just my two cents. I was wholly unimpressed by the whole process.
This description pretty much just told most people you have no idea what you’re talking about.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
How do you know their skill set isn't exactly as advertised? These cards fooled seasoned veteran collectors, some of which specialize in this exact area. People get fooled sometimes. This forger was prolific and from all outward appearances (huge sales) very good at what they did. No one questioned whether or not the autographs were right. It was only found that they couldn't be right when the original scans were dug up. If the signatures were blatantly fake, that's one thing. But as we can all see from the high dollar sales of these cards, the signatures fooled almost everyone who came in contact with them.
Have you read Mr. Nash's post on JSA mistakes?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Have you read Mr. Nash's post on JSA mistakes?
This is an interesting read! It's long, but worth it, imo.
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlo...nt?oid=2505680

I particularly liked the "Cheetah" certified sig story.

But there seems to be no ceiling to PSA and JSA's abilities. In 2010, a dealer submitted the "signature" of Cheetah, the chimpanzee purported to have appeared in the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan serials of the 1930s. Despite the likelihood that they had no exemplars on file for primates, JSA deemed the scrawl authentic.

As it turns out, Cheetah was an imposter whose owner duped the public before a 2008 Washington Post article uncovered the truth: Weissmuller's chest-thumping co-star was long deceased.

"I don't remember the particulars of that," JSA's James Spence says of his endorsement. "I'm not prepared to answer that. I'd have to refresh my memory. I think it was done tongue in cheek."

JSA would have needed only to perform a cursory Google search to put the chimp's penmanship in context.

Last edited by irv; 12-10-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Just how do places like Coaches Corner and others stay in business?
Millions a year on fake and forgeries but no one bats an eye?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGxsGelS50
Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default T206 Scandal

Unfortunately, Coaches Corner for years hid behind & utilized "TPG" services like STAT or Frangipani or Morales or their own certs, all of their business models had the same motives & the common premise. It was a limited but very decorative certificate, the actual wording hid behind the quoted caveat "in their expert opinion" or "to the best of their ability & knowledge" and collectors not as knowledgable would see a "bargain" and go for it with their pocketbooks. Most of their material was fake and most legit autograph dealers did speak out...This happened for years thru SCD and later through their on line premise and actually well "branded & advertised" name......it was obviously a diabolical way of taking novices and taking their money, many unfortunate collectors did not even know they were taken advantage of. In later years, the internet has helped reveal the obvious years of crap being sold but again there are non educated customers.

Last edited by painthistorian; 12-11-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:48 AM
J0hn Collin$

At least this one and the auto is not on the card itself...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-t206-H...t9mA:rk:1:pf:0
Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 AM
D@vid Cr@ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
This description pretty much just told most people you have no idea what you’re talking about.
what in the world are you talking about? I witnessed this myself. I have no skin in this game. My only autos are the ones I watched being signed. Maybe, just maybe, the one who doesn't know is you.

Last edited by Daveyc; 12-13-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:24 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
what in the world are you talking about? I witnessed this myself. I have no skin in this game. My only autos are the ones I watched being signed. Maybe, just maybe, the one who doesn't know is you.
I wrote something similar earlier in this thread. The description at the MAB show is 100% accurate and true. Its data entry and they didn't watch the items being signed. You could bring a ball that wasn't signed at the show and get a sticker as long as that signer is in attendance.

I have been to the card show but haven't gone to the JSA table to witness that process. So I can't verify the second part. But based on what I see at the MAB table I would believe this.

I'll be at the induction this year like always. When I'm at the card show I'll check out the JSA table to see what happens.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

When TPG's promote their services and advertise the astounding prices that their authenticated items have achieved then yes they do hold some skin in the game. Would those items that they promote have received the same prices had they not come with their authentication? We all know the answer. They are saying that their authentication was what gave the buyers of those items the "approval" or peace of mind to spend the type of money that was spent.

I know the TPG's have insurance in case an item is destroyed in their possession but how about being bonded/insured on items that they authenticate over a certain dollar level that way everyone is protected. If one is paying $300 to have an autograph like Ruth authenticated, I don't think a little extra would be an issue to spend to have some true peace of mind in case that item is found to be a fake down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Id have to disagree here. All four of those professions can held accountant and legally prosecuted and it happens all the time. Fraud and malpractice as well as a pile of other charges can accompany those and do all the time.

And my guess is you do perform some homework on this stuff. If you went in to see the doctor for a cough and s/he put you on an antidepressant you wouldn't educate yourself at all? You need some new breaks and the mechanic charges you 2k you wouldn't go seek more information? If you normally get a 5k income tax return and get a new accountant and all of sudden are getting 18k in return you wouldn't follow that up? We do it all the time.

In the end we are responsible for ourselves, medically, financially and everything else. It used to a right of passage in hobby, otherwise you just would get ripped off until you did. If you don't have time to research your "hobby" spending thousands of dollars then maybe you shouldn't be doing this if you place 100% with someone else's opinion. I thought the educating yourself was part of why we did this, its enjoyable, it starts friendships and is a major reason I am part of the hobby.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
I am going to sound like I am defending the company, but if you think that no authentication is going on you are mistaken. I will give you the fact that if they are authenticating post signing signers at the HOF it is a quick slap a sticker production line, but to say for vintage ir expensive items they just slap a sticker on anything is blatantly false. Yes, yes Sal Bando. I know.

Go ahead and believe whatever you want, but you may be underestimating many things about the process. Better yet, maybe you should open your own company because there’s nothing to it and you could make a lot of money.

There are many things I disagree with about authentication companies and the process, but to say they pass everything that is put in front of them is simply not true.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
I am going to sound like I am defending the company, but if you think that no authentication is going on you are mistaken. I will give you the fact that if they are authenticating post signing signers at the HOF it is a quick slap a sticker production line, but to say for vintage ir expensive items they just slap a sticker on anything is blatantly false. Yes, yes Sal Bando. I know.

Go ahead and believe whatever you want, but you may be underestimating many things about the process. Better yet, maybe you should open your own company because there’s nothing to it and you could make a lot of money.

There are many things I disagree with about authentication companies and the process, but to say they pass everything that is put in front of them is simply not true.
One note on the Sal Bando, and yes that should have been stopped BUT... the TV piece was done during a show where Bando was, ...signing.

Normal people would presume, and I get that can be dangerous, that any Bando auto they would see that weekend would be good. That is "gotcha" journalism and there are far better targets

Rich
Old 12-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
… You need some new breaks and the mechanic charges you 2k you wouldn't go seek more information?...
If my mechanic quoted me $2,000 for brakes, and did not know how to properly spell “brakes”, you’re correct, that would indeed raise a red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
…As it turns out, Cheetah was an imposter whose owner duped the public before a 2008 Washington Post article uncovered the truth: Weissmuller's chest-thumping co-star was long deceased.
Cheetah’s dead???? Ooooooohhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooooo…

Old 12-17-2018, 05:41 AM
D@vid Cr@ig

Quote:

First of all, I never said they authenticate everything. But I witnessed jimmie himself, and his "authentication" process. He passed everything I WITNESSED him look at, and only spent mere seconds on each item and very casually at that. They do pass EVERYTHING put in front of them at live signing events and they DO NOT witness the signings. He often would be conversing with the client as he was "authenticating" I saw at least one team ball he did this with. Wouldn't you agree that at the least the "authenticator" and client shouldn't be face to face during the process? I have watched this on more than one occasion.

As for their post signing "authentication" process, that is a joke and could be seen as indicative as to how seriously they take authentication in general. If Jimmie himself is this cavalier in public, imagine how that place runs behind closed doors.

A word of advice. Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you denigrate others. I have witnessed this process first hand, it appears you have not, but are placing blind faith in the process, probably because you have some skin in the game.

Last edited by Daveyc; 12-17-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:59 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
First of all, I never said they authenticate everything. But I witnessed jimmie himself, and his "authentication" process. He passed everything I WITNESSED him look at, and only spent mere seconds on each item and very casually at that. They do pass EVERYTHING put in front of them at live signing events and they DO NOT witness the signings. He often would be conversing with the client as he was "authenticating" I saw at least one team ball he did this with. Wouldn't you agree that at the least the "authenticator" and client shouldn't be face to face during the process? I have watched this on more than one occasion.

As for their post signing "authentication" process, that is a joke and could be seen as indicative as to how seriously they take authentication in general. If Jimmie himself is this cavalier in public, imagine how that place runs behind closed doors.

A word of advice. Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you denigrate others. I have witnessed this process first hand, it appears you have not, but are placing blind faith in the process, probably because you have some skin in the game.
David -

I believe what you are saying because your description of the MAB show is 100% accurate. I’m sure (hopeful) a little more scrutiny goes into the process when items are sent in. But witnessing these types of things certainly cast doubts.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I finally found the Doyle sale and it appears it might be unrelated to the
Marquard that was purchased by f***f or the large group that was
purchased by n***e.

Doyle Auto.jpg

In the last recorded sale of the Doyle prior to it being sold signed was
a purchase by s***s with a feedback between 500-999.

Doyle Sale.jpg

So we have the Marquard that was purchased by f***f and the following that
were purchased by n***e

Baker
Barbeau
Cicotte
Conroy
Flick
Livingston
Murray
Parent
Rucker
Sullivan
Tannehill
Zimmerman

That leaves only the Rhoades sale but the ebay seller is unknown so
it will be hard to find that sale.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Ne@l K

So whodunnit?

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 12-17-2018, 02:51 PM

Default Haven't you heard ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
So whodunnit?

..we've changed the title of the thread to "cold popcorn and slow crickets"....

..kidding ---- any day now....any day now...

Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
So whodunnit?
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Listen
Do you want to know a secret?
Do you promise not to tell?
Whoa whoa whoa
Closer
Let me whisper in your ear
Say the words you long to hear.....

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:

I do have a pretty good idea on how autographs are authenticated. I have been buying and selling them for over 30 years. Some take longer and more study and some take merely a glance. If an autograph expert (let's for fun just say it's an expert) only takes 2 seconds to look at an item, it doesn't mean it's not authentic. You are paying for that unbiased "let's also for fun say they're unbiased" authenticators opinion to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and more confident in purchasing the autograph.

If you bring a Babe Ruth ball and it's clearly not a run of the mill forgery, they are going to take much more time on it. They might even ask multiple people for their opinion as well before giving a letter. BTW, letters are signed in front of a notary public and sent out in the mail. Not "voila" or "poof" or whatever you described.

A person pays the authentication company for their opinion, despite many others opinions who think they should be libel for saying it's authentic. This is done to make the buyer feel confident in their purchase having another party say they also believe the item is authentic. OR the seller who is letting buyers know that there is this third party who also agrees with the sellers opinion of authenticity. Items that come with LOA's from PSA and JSA often, if not all times, fetch more at auction or direct sale than those without.

I know this because I do business with some of these authentication companies as I already described. I sell items and guarantee them to pass or they already come with the authentication. This is to increase my bottom line, no other reason. There are plenty of people who refuse to do business with these companies, but try to get top dollar without playing the TPA game nowadays. It doesn't work. If I get a letter and double my money, guess what, i'm getting the letter or COA.

The issue I have with your comment is that you think there is no process and the amount of time is unsatisfactory to you. If they choose to put one second, one minute, or one hour in to an item, that is their right to do so. They are putting their reputation on the line. If their reputation is damaged, then the market will reflect this and their business will go away after the market corrects.

Lastly, There are WAAAAAAYYYYYY more trimmed and altered cards in PSA and SGC holders than there are fake autographs that are authenticated by PSA and JSA. The card game is far worse than the auto game. People may argue with me all they want, but you will never convince me otherwise. Many, many full time dealers "work" on cards before they are sent off to the TPA. Most pass or pass the next time.

Bottom line, complain all you want about the TPA companies but they serve a purpose and command higher dollar results at the end of the day. I sell autographs and memorabilia to make money, the more the better for me an my family.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

To get back on task with this thread, that is another great find. That one had a lot of work done to it. Please continue to keep up the work.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:49 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

There are 2 responses autograph 'opinionators' can make. They believe it is either fake or legit. In the aggregate, the fake opinion is much easier and quicker to make. The legit, not nearly as much. In my view, the real ones opined as fakes, while they do occur, are statistically insignificant compared to the fake ones opined as real.

Their reputation is based more on the fake ones they claim are legit than the legit ones they claim are fake.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:11 AM
Jason Seidl

How on earth has the person not been caught yet? Are they just building the case (which could mean the proverbial rabbit hole goes deeper)?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I do have a pretty good idea on how autographs are authenticated. I have been buying and selling them for over 30 years. Some take longer and more study and some take merely a glance. If an autograph expert (let's for fun just say it's an expert) only takes 2 seconds to look at an item, it doesn't mean it's not authentic. You are paying for that unbiased "let's also for fun say they're unbiased" authenticators opinion to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and more confident in purchasing the autograph.

If you bring a Babe Ruth ball and it's clearly not a run of the mill forgery, they are going to take much more time on it. They might even ask multiple people for their opinion as well before giving a letter. BTW, letters are signed in front of a notary public and sent out in the mail. Not "voila" or "poof" or whatever you described.

A person pays the authentication company for their opinion, despite many others opinions who think they should be libel for saying it's authentic. This is done to make the buyer feel confident in their purchase having another party say they also believe the item is authentic. OR the seller who is letting buyers know that there is this third party who also agrees with the sellers opinion of authenticity. Items that come with LOA's from PSA and JSA often, if not all times, fetch more at auction or direct sale than those without.

I know this because I do business with some of these authentication companies as I already described. I sell items and guarantee them to pass or they already come with the authentication. This is to increase my bottom line, no other reason. There are plenty of people who refuse to do business with these companies, but try to get top dollar without playing the TPA game nowadays. It doesn't work. If I get a letter and double my money, guess what, i'm getting the letter or COA.

The issue I have with your comment is that you think there is no process and the amount of time is unsatisfactory to you. If they choose to put one second, one minute, or one hour in to an item, that is their right to do so. They are putting their reputation on the line. If their reputation is damaged, then the market will reflect this and their business will go away after the market corrects.

Lastly, There are WAAAAAAYYYYYY more trimmed and altered cards in PSA and SGC holders than there are fake autographs that are authenticated by PSA and JSA. The card game is far worse than the auto game. People may argue with me all they want, but you will never convince me otherwise. Many, many full time dealers "work" on cards before they are sent off to the TPA. Most pass or pass the next time.

Bottom line, complain all you want about the TPA companies but they serve a purpose and command higher dollar results at the end of the day. I sell autographs and memorabilia to make money, the more the better for me an my family.
So you do have some skin in the game and admit fraud is rampant with sigs and trimmed cards but because you make money off of them, then they have a purpose in the hobby.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM

How can you say there is no purpose for TPG's and TPA's? Think about someone you trust in the hobby. Now think about what that person might do if they're faced with a financial hardship. Would that person be tempted to cert their own fraudulent inventory knowing their name attached to it is enough for people to buy them? I would think they might and that's the problem with an individual vs an entire company.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
How can you say there is no purpose for TPG's and TPA's? Think about someone you trust in the hobby. Now think about what that person might do if they're faced with a financial hardship. Would that person be tempted to cert their own fraudulent inventory knowing their name attached to it is enough for people to buy them? I would think they might and that's the problem with an individual vs an entire company.
.... or.... that company sees a revenue stream by 'loose' authentication standards, and knowing the public (ie multiple individuals) interprets 'opinion' to be 'authentication', continues to provide that revenue stream. Or if you'd rather, one company's whole origination is based on a 'loose' authentication.

The point being.... that one is not more susceptible to corruption than the other.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
.... or.... that company sees a revenue stream by 'loose' authentication standards, and knowing the public (ie multiple individuals) interprets 'opinion' to be 'authentication', continues to provide that revenue stream. Or if you'd rather, one company's whole origination is based on a 'loose' authentication.

The point being.... that one is not more susceptible to corruption than the other.
Could not disagree more. It would take an entire company working together to perpetuate the fraud you're talking about vs one person. Also if a TPG did what you're saying they fall out of favor in the hobby and become obsolete, which we've all seen happen to a once prominent TPG who is no longer around and other TPG's no one puts stock in.

Last edited by packs; 12-18-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Could not disagree more. It would take an entire company working together to perpetuate the fraud you're talking about vs one person. Also if a TPG did what you're saying they fall out of favor in the hobby and become obsolete, which we've all seen happen to a once prominent TPG who is no longer around and other TPG's no one puts stock in.
I could not disagree more with "entire company". That is blatantly not true. It only takes a couple people to perpetuate company wide fraud. Look at any fraud case you can find. The "entire company" didn't know. If fact, most of the company didn't know.

I'm not saying TPG/TPA's don't provide value. They do. But trust should never be provided blindly. And to believe that "company wide" involvement is needed, is to edge toward that blind trust.

And even more importantly, germane to this thread, and also said before. Opinion is not the same as authentication.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:02 AM
D@vid Cr@ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
So you do have some skin in the game and admit fraud is rampant with sigs and trimmed cards but because you make money off of them, then they have a purpose in the hobby.
You have hit the nail on the head. This guy is an auto dealer and his business in large part hinges on consumer confidence in the "authentication" business. He seems to do lots of business with the TPA and thinks he knows what is going on, has probably been told what is going on, but has clearly never seen it happen first hand. so yes, he has skin in the game and cannot see this house of cards clearly as he is too invested.

Last edited by Daveyc; 12-18-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:

I have no skin in the autograph game - precisely for what has come to light in this thread. While the above that you shared is a great THEORY - taking into consideration the imperfection of markets - it is often NOT how it works in practice. I have read a number of articles and watched a specific video done under cover catching Spence authenticating a signature that the under cover reporter had signed hours earlier and confronted by the ball player (Sal Bando). Problem is - most collectors do not do the same level of due diligence and do not know about these incidents - as most will never read this thread! So history has shown - there is no "market correction" as you suggest - just the continued proliferation of greed, forged autographs, altered cards and worthless opinions. While I do not know who they are, I understand there are guys doing this for long enough that the small few "in the know" rely on for truly expert opinions - guys who may have made honest mistakes, but have stood the test of time without the repeated carelessness and controversy and apparent negligence as some mentioned in this thread. Forgery is a crime. Is claiming to be an "expert" when your history has shown (imo) that you are not? Outside of netting you more money - how is this all possibly good for the hobby?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM
D@vid Cr@ig

Quote:

I said nothing about trimmed or altered cards. you added that little tid bit to try and deflect from the topic at hand. not applicable here. The authentication game is faulty from the start. first off, where do these "experts" get their training? you will probably never get an answer from any of the TPA on that one. if they did answer the question, they would probably say their experts have years and years and years of experience..... well, where did that experience come from? I believe both Spence and Steve Grad "studied" under everyones favorite, Bill Mastro.

One can have all the experience in the world and it is all worthless if the person they are apprenticed under is not qualified themselves. remember, only perfect practice makes perfect. everything else is just practiced mistakes.

It is relatively easy to create these forgeries, but the "experts" seem to have a much harder time finding them. at some point, collectors at large will realize the "authenticated" signature is nothing more than a piece of paperwork, and really doesnt amount to a hill of beans
Old 12-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

You’re right. I’m trying to deflect because you have me all tied up with your genius ramblings. I’m going to go lay by my dish completely defeated.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:26 AM
D@vid Cr@ig

Quote:
You’re right. I’m trying to deflect because you have me all tied up with your genius ramblings. I’m going to go lay by my dish completely defeated.
sounds good.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 AM

How can you say it's so easy to make these forgeries? People were fooled for years in some cases. And not just the TPA's, but people who have been in the hobby for a very long time and might consider themselves experts in this very specific area.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
How can you say it's so easy to make these forgeries? People were fooled for years in some cases. And not just the TPA's, but people who have been in the hobby for a very long time and might consider themselves experts in this very specific area.
Lots of dummies in this hobby. Lots of dummies in this hobby who seem to want to be fooled. Lots of dummies in this hobby who appoint themselves as experts.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:24 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Lots of dummies in this hobby. Lots of dummies in this hobby who seem to want to be fooled. Lots of dummies in this hobby who appoint themselves as experts.
Again to the point of why I don't collect autos. As a kid, the fact that a card was "old" was cool enough for me. Look at this thing that came out of a pack 30, 50, even 75 years ago! At least for items like tobacco cards or Goudeys, it seems a little too good to be true for all of those that are coming out now to have been autographed as well. But to the points made earlier - people get all romanticized about something and can lose reasonable objectivity. I get it.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-18-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:17 AM
D@vid Cr@ig

Quote:
there are artists who would not have much problem at all replicating the shaky signatures of men in their 70's and 80's.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I said nothing about trimmed or altered cards. you added that little tid bit to try and deflect from the topic at hand. not applicable here. The authentication game is faulty from the start. first off, where do these "experts" get their training? you will probably never get an answer from any of the TPA on that one. if they did answer the question, they would probably say their experts have years and years and years of experience..... well, where did that experience come from? I believe both Spence and Steve Grad "studied" under everyones favorite, Bill Mastro.

One can have all the experience in the world and it is all worthless if the person they are apprenticed under is not qualified themselves. remember, only perfect practice makes perfect. everything else is just practiced mistakes.

It is relatively easy to create these forgeries, but the "experts" seem to have a much harder time finding them. at some point, collectors at large will realize the "authenticated" signature is nothing more than a piece of paperwork, and really doesnt amount to a hill of beans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVbgxFF0SaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGxsGelS50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NADYoGCl1Mc

There's a ton of these vids available but as we have seen and learned, likely not many know these are available and should be watched before purchasing anything signed.

Last edited by irv; 12-19-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default not sure whether to thank you

or not - your forgeries news links linked to more links and I've already spent an hour looking at them. I bookmarked the Halper one to savor after my gin game...…….
Old 12-19-2018, 09:57 AM
David Linardy

Default Forged t206’s

Any update on who the culprit(s) are?

Last edited by daves_resale_shop; 12-19-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The parties that have been the most affected know the name and are still working with authorities. I just got off of the phone with one of them and there is no new news so the situation is the same. If someone has some emergency issue, or thinks they have bad signed cards from this same person, they should PM me and we can discuss it. I know some people hate that the name hasn't been made public but as of this moment it's not the most prudent thing, imo, or the opinions of the few people who have had to write refund checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Any update on who the culprit(s) are?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The parties that have been the most affected know the name and are still working with authorities. I just got off of the phone with one of them and there is no new news so the situation is the same. If someone has some emergency issue, or thinks they have bad signed cards from this same person, they should PM me and we can discuss it. I know some people hate that the name hasn't been made public but as of this moment it's not the most prudent thing, imo, or the opinions of the few people who have had to write refund checks.
Thanks for the update and I realize you can't divulge too much information, but is it a name we'll recognize?
Old 12-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for your understanding.
No, it is not a hobby name anyone would know of....I don't believe. At least the auctioneers I have spoken with didn't know the name, as well myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Thanks for the update and I realize you can't divulge too much information, but is it a name we'll recognize?
Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 PM

Default Identity

Next to REA I’ve written the biggest refund check for a single card as I authorized Brian to withhold the $21,000 that I would have received from the sale of the Baker that I had purchased from REA in 2015. I should also add that Brian refunded me for the $9,000 I paid for the card originally, so although I lost $12,000, I’m not out anything. I’ve had two separate people message me with the same information regarding the culprit. The first person wanted me to release the information, but then changed his mind at the request of the investigators. Because I’m an attorney I felt that the communication was confidential and so I did not release it at that time. However, another individual has now asked that I release the information on his behalf and since I see no compelling reason not to I am going to disclose it. I practice exclusively criminal defense and I can guarantee that there is absolutely no legitimate reason that law enforcement would not want this information released. Here is the information I have regarding the identity of the subject/suspect:

eBay ID: givepeaceachance14
eBay location: Girard, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Old 12-19-2018, 05:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's not too late to vote for Jason as the #1 Net 54 poster.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:44 PM

full name?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:50 PM
Steven

This is an interesting article:

http://www.wfmj.com/story/35123889/y...raud-to-prison
Old 12-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&G CR View Post
full name?
and address so the net54 mob knows where to find him
Old 12-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There can be no legitimate reason for authorities to say they prefer the info not be made public yet? And you are guaranteeing it. Cool.

According to you, you are out nothing financially and REA is out (a lot more) than you mentioned and this was ok to do? I am glad you aren't out anything as others are. Great move here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay View Post
Next to REA I’ve written the biggest refund check for a single card as I authorized Brian to withhold the $21,000 that I would have received from the sale of the Baker that I had purchased from REA in 2015. I should also add that Brian refunded me for the $9,000 I paid for the card originally, so although I lost $12,000, I’m not out anything. I’ve had two separate people message me with the same information regarding the culprit. The first person wanted me to release the information, but then changed his mind at the request of the investigators. Because I’m an attorney I felt that the communication was confidential and so I did not release it at that time. However, another individual has now asked that I release the information on his behalf and since I see no compelling reason not to I am going to disclose it. I practice exclusively criminal defense and I can guarantee that there is absolutely no legitimate reason that law enforcement would not want this information released. Here is the information I have regarding the identity of the subject/suspect:

eBay ID: givepeaceachance14
eBay location: Girard, OH

Last edited by Leon; 12-19-2018 at 07:44 PM.