NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Default S74 silks - help with value

Posted By: steve

Does anyone have an educated guess as to the value of a couple S74 silks? I am thinking of putting them up for sale and having trouble putting a price on them -

PSA nor SGC grades them - GAI does. I know they are quite rare in this grade - in many years of ebaying, you just don't see them this nice.

S74 silk, colored, Mathewson, GAI 7 - could be $800.ish, or $2000.ish+
S74 silk, colored, W. Johnson, GAI 6 - could be $500.ish, or $1500.ish

*note - An item I have is also being sold by bmw cards which they list at $3500. I have the other PSA 9 of this item and had it valued around $1500. by my guess, was I way off, or is bmw asking the moon? Moral to story - jeez, I am hesitant to let the silks go too cheap.

Thanks, Steve.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

steve, bmw cards has some super cards and i always browse just to see them but i believe he is overpriced, not to say that there isnt someone outthere willing to pay his prices. i see it as a seller (not just bmw) trying to get the "future" value of the card "today"...some define it as greed.

as for your value, you are probably closer but i havent seen a lot of graded examples of them. if you are comfortable with the $500 or $800 and you're not losing $ then do it, i personally think $500 and $800 are kinda on the low side...but the $1500 and $2000 might be a little high.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Steve...can't really say I follow Silks too closely, don't know how in-demand they are. Why don't you list them with a fairly high "Buy It Now" with a "Best offer"? Can't get hurt that way..

Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

I have sold both ungraded in about the same condition - if you were to set a price you could go with a higher price and lower it if needed. I would set the Johnson at 800.00-1000.00 and the Mathewson at 1200.00-1500.00 - start with the higher price first, both are great items and should gain interest because of the grades. The only downside is that GAI and Beckett are the only grading companies to grade the silks which may bring you down to the lower price - I think I got 600.00-800.00 each for my ungraded ones

Take Care

Jimmy

Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

hi steve,
there isn't much of a market for graded silks. as you said, the two majors do not grade them. there are nice silks out there.....it's just that not many are graded.
if i owned those (and wanted to sell), i think $750 for johnson and $750 for matty would both be strong prices.
i would also say that silk prices have started to really climb in recent months, so perhaps a bit more.
i have seen less johnsons surface than mattys.
many silks were double and triple printed on the original sheets.....lew's book does give a detailed breakdown of sheet configuration.
feel free to email me with any more silk questions.
regards,
andy

Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

You folks' input is good. With the S74's, there is no set registry to increase demand, and therefore drive up prices.

Sleeping on it, I may just list several T206's and keep the silks - one can most anytime replace a midgrade-plus T206 major HOF'er. But to replace a high end silk - well, could be long time before you see another of the same caliber.

What if PSA graded the silks and started a set registry for them? What if PSA had no set registry for T206's? How would the values then change?

I guess it boils down to this question: For your approx. $1250.ish would you rather have the S74 Matty, NM, GAI 7 ....... or would you rather have a T206 Matty dk cap, EX, PSA 5 ?

As a vintage card junkie not into sets, the heck with the set registry inflated T206, gimme the silk.

Steve.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Steve,

I would agree with your final assessment. Hold onto the silks. High grade (or any grade for that matter) silks of HOFers just are not offered all that often. Andy (hey Andy) is the guy to talk to; he is responsible for getting me hooked on silks.

Would you mind sharing some scans of your S74's?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Old 06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Steve--as I said, I'm not much into silks...but looking at those scans, KEEP'EM!! EXCEPTIONAL!