NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Newbie here...thought I'd share an interesting item

I can't believe it took me this long to join the board. Lots of knowledge and interesting topics around here!

Anyway, my name is Chris and I live in Alberta, Canada. For the past 10 years, my primary collecting focus has been southpaw pitcher autographs 1900-present.

Recently though, I had a nice acquisition from an estate auction: a 1953 World Series program signed by almost the entire Brooklyn Dodgers team.

Unfortunately, it was at the hand of Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna, the most famous batboy in history.

As most of you know, 1953 was the golden anniversary of the World Series, so a number of 1903 alumni were also on hand to share in the festivities. As it turns out, the back of the program was also signed by some folks that may ring a bell:

Cy Young
Fred Clarke
Fred Parent
Tommy Leach
Bill Dinneen
Tommy Connolly

Young and Clarke are familiar to most, but Dinneen was a star pitcher in his own right, and was by most accounts the first World Series "MVP".

As for Connolly, he went on to become the first umpire inducted into the HOF (along with Bill Klem). In addition to working the first World Series, he also officiated the first game at Fenway Park, Shibe Park, Comiskey Park, and Yankee Stadium.

PSA/DNA letter forthcoming. Anyway, just thought I'd start off by sharing one of my better items.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 06-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Hey Chris, welcome to the board...and very cool item and story. The "Brow" has been a thorn in the side of many a Brooklyn Dodger fan, although it's almost just a part of the Brooklyn lore, which is kinda cool too. So, what made you start collecting only south paw pitchers?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

The Otto Krueger is the rarest of the signatures on the back. Really nice 1903 reunion piece!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Chris,

Welcome aboard...absolutely beautiful item!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! To be perfectly honest, I'm not really that disappointed that the front was the work of "The Brow". Like Mike said, it actually adds to the lore of Dem Bums. Of course, having a genuine Jackie, Campy, and Gil would've been great, but I can't argue with what I have into it.

As for southpaws, what can I say? I've always been interested in those crazy lefties. Very under appreciated in the annals of major league history, so I guess I just root for the underdog. It doesn't hurt that I'm a lefty as well!

I started off by just going after HOF southpaws (There are only 11 attainble ones, but as for Waddell and Plank? Not in this lifetime).

As time went on, I expanded the theme to include major award winners, 100 game winners, notable achievements, etc... I'm now up to about 140 different ones...mostly signed 8x10s, but I also have about two dozen cut autos affixed to an unsigned 8x10.

Other than the HOFers, my tougher ones include Jesse Tannehill, Frank "Noodles" Hahn, and George "Hooks" Wiltse. Still searching for Slim Sallee, Hub Leonard, Lefty Tyler, George Mogridge, etc...

Anyway, thanks again and I'll try to contribute more material in the future.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 06-18-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=cjedmonton;1004972]Thanks for the welcome, everyone! To be perfectly honest, I'm not really that disappointed that the front was the work of "The Brow". Like Mike said, it actually adds to the lore of Dem Bums. Of course, having a genuine Jackie, Campy, and Gil would've been great, but I can't argue with what I have into it.

As for southpaws, what can I say? I've always been interested in those crazy lefties. Very under appreciated in the annals of major league history, so I guess I just root for the underdog. It doesn't hurt that I'm a lefty as well!

I started off by going after just HOF southpaws (there are only 11 attainble ones, but as for Waddell and Plank? Not in this lifetime).

As time went on, I expanded the theme to include major award winners, 100 game winners, notable achievements, etc... I'm now up to about 140 different ones...mostly signed 8x10s, but I also have about two dozen cut autos affixed to an unsigned 8x10.

Other than the HOFers, my tougher ones include Jesse Tannehill, Frank "Noodles" Hahn, and George "Hooks" Wiltse. Still searching for Slim Sallee, Hub Leonard, Lefty Tyler, George Mogridge, etc...

Anyway, thanks again and I'll try to contribute more material in the future.[/QUOTE

Chris,
Welcome to net54! I would love to see your signatures of George "Hooks" Wiltse and Frank "Noodles" Hahn.

I hear you on some of your lefties that are MIA. I just picked up this George Mogridge last year. He definitely is a toughee. This photo was signed in 1924, when Mogridge was a member of the World Champion Washington Senators.
Also, here are a couple of "Noodles" sigs in my personal collection.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-18-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Hi Scott,

I don't know what's more unbelievable...that Mogridge or the Hahn cheque/check. Simply amazing!

Mogridge shouldn't be that tough (d. 1962), but maybe he was ultra reclusive? I've only seen two Sallees, but of course, I have to go up against the deep pocketed 1919 WS collectors (which eliminates Lefty Williams as well, but Dickie Kerr can be had for a decent price every now and then).

Does Mogridge/Hahn fit into a certain theme for your collection? Does it even matter? haha Just gorgeous.

Here's my Hahn/Tannehill/Wiltse. Sorry, I don't have a larger resolution scan available at the moment.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
Hi Scott,

I don't know what's more unbelievable...that Mogridge or the Hahn cheque/check. Simply amazing!

Mogridge shouldn't be that tough (d. 1962), but maybe he was ultra reclusive? I've only seen two Sallees, but of course, I have to go up against the deep pocketed 1919 WS collectors (which eliminates Lefty Williams as well, but Dickie Kerr can be had for a decent price every now and then).

Does Mogridge/Hahn fit into a certain theme for your collection? Does it even matter? haha Just gorgeous.

Here's my Hahn/Tannehill/Wiltse. Sorry, I don't have a larger resolution scan available at the moment.

Thanks Chris! I collect autographs of all no-hit pitchers dating back to 1893. This is the year that they moved the mound distance to the current standard of 60' 6". Thanks for showing me Noodles, Jesse and Hooks.
Good luck with your collection!
Scott