NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Card Collectors Bulletin Feb.1, 1945 Whole #34

Card Collectors Bulletin Feb.1, 1945 Whole #34- enjoy

Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Barry Sloate

Interesting early reference to Lionel Carter...although regarding his war stories I could have done without the terms Nips and Japs. I guess it was a sign of those times.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-07-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Barry, good luck finding someone who served in WW2 who didn't use those terms then (and many of them never stopped using them)! Amazing story of a young Lionel Carter being lost for days and having a bullet go through his hair--we almost lost one of the card collecting legends before he really began!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Thank you for continuing to post these bulletins, Leon--very interesting reflections on the birth of the hobby.

Of particular note, is the Buchner "Defender and Offenders" set, which contains the rookie card of "Machine Gun" Kelly and, of course, the quite scarce Capone ("no scar") variation. Keep 'em comin'.

Michael
Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Barry Sloate

I know Rhett. They were perfectly acceptable terms at the time.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Thank you for continuing to post these bulletins, Leon--very interesting reflections on the birth of the hobby.

Of particular note, is the Buchner "Defender and Offenders" set, which contains the rookie card of "Machine Gun" Kelly and, of course, the quite scarce Capone ("no scar") variation. Keep 'em comin'.

Michael
Honestly, I know there are more valuable non-sports cards in the world but I think my favorite ALL-TIME card has to be the N283 Buchner Defenders & Offenders "Mrs. Sarah Rhodes" card. If you've never seen it... one look will make you snarf whatever you just drank!

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 06-07-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Just to aid those looking for the image of the "remarkable" Mrs. Sarah Rhodes here is the image on the card (from the book)...
http://www.archive.org/stream/defend...e/n56/mode/1up
Here is her grisly write up that would have appeared on the card as well...
http://www.archive.org/stream/defend...e/n55/mode/1up

Seriously wierd stuff!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Just to aid those looking for the image of the "remarkable" Mrs. Sarah Rhodes here is the image on the card (from the book)...

Seriously wierd stuff!
Nice lady....thanks for showing us Rhett .
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Too funny, Rhett. Thank you for posting. It certainly must have been the moustache, that tickled Farmer Blizzard's fancy.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Mike Dugan

Leon- Another great post! If I looked at the right numbers in the results from the previous Bray auction the following results present a big Wow!

Lot 56 518 diff T206 went for $20.75
Lot 57 207 diff T206 $10.50
Lot 58 Complete set of Double Folders $7.00
Lot 59 61 diff Triple Folders $7.25
Lot 60 101 diff T207 $11.25

And a for Mr. Carter's references to the enemy, Barry I just watched the start of the Cardinal game tonight with my 93 year old ex-Marine Dad. I am afraid he will never forgive and forget.

He served from before the war through the surrender including the raid on Choiselle and the first wave at Iwo Jima. Lionel's comments then are kinder than my Dad's today. I used to worry about my daughter hearing him when she was younger but I think she understands now. I am named for the Marine that was killed carrying my Dad after he was wounded on Iwo.

I am glad the world is a safer kinder place today.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
David Vargha

Geez, "Nip" is short for "Nippon" (what the Japanese call their country) and "Jap" is short for Japan. Seems pretty mild to me, Barry. I suppose some of our soldiers on the Bataan death march may have had a word or two that was a tad harsher than those. I'm guessing the people of Nanking probably had some stronger words as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Leon- Another great post! If I looked at the right numbers in the results from the previous Bray auction the following results present a big Wow!

Lot 56 518 diff T206 went for $20.75
Lot 57 207 diff T206 $10.50
Lot 58 Complete set of Double Folders $7.00
Lot 59 61 diff Triple Folders $7.25
Lot 60 101 diff T207 $11.25

And a for Mr. Carter's references to the enemy, Barry I just watched the start of the Cardinal game tonight with my 93 year old ex-Marine Dad. I am afraid he will never forgive and forget.

He served from before the war through the surrender including the raid on Choiselle and the first wave at Iwo Jima. Lionel's comments then are kinder than my Dad's today. I used to worry about my daughter hearing him when she was younger but I think she understands now. I am named for the Marine that was killed carrying my Dad after he was wounded on Iwo.

I am glad the world is a safer kinder place today.
Mike,

Your father is awesome!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post

Seriously wierd stuff!

So "Mrs. Sarah Rhodes" was really a man?!?!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Mike Dugan

By the way, whoever bought those lots from Mr. Bray in 1944/45 if you are out there I am ready to double your money right now. Please just email me.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargha View Post
Geez, "Nip" is short for "Nippon" (what the Japanese call their country) and "Jap" is short for Japan. Seems pretty mild to me, Barry. I suppose some of our soldiers on the Bataan death march may have had a word or two that was a tad harsher than those. I'm guessing the people of Nanking probably had some stronger words as well.
Does knowledge of the etymology of a racial slur make it ok? Does the existence of worse racial slurs make it ok? Obviously 1945 was a different time from 2011, but this is a strange battle to choose to fight.
JimB
Old 06-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Does knowledge of the etymology of a racial slur make it ok? Does the existence of worse racial slurs make it ok? Obviously 1945 was a different time from 2011, but this is a strange battle to choose to fight.
JimB
Jim- I felt the same way but chose not to respond. I am reading the Bulletin in 2011, and while I understand the common use of those words in 1945, they are unacceptable today. That's all I meant, no more. The N-word was commonly used in this country a century ago, but we would find it distasteful if we saw it in print today.

Hope this thread doesn't turn into a nasty debate; I was just making an observation. I understand the horrors soldiers went through in WWII but my comment was about word usage.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Mike Dugan

Barry & Jim- Please do not misunderstand my post. I agree with both of you I can't understand people using any type of racial, religious or any other type of slur. It has always seemed a lazy man's may for thinking he is better than someone else.

My statement was more an explanation of Mr. Carter's usage in the 1945 newsletter. My Dad only began talking about WWII after the age of 80. His feelings were colored by what the Japanese did to captured Marines and the native islanders. Notice I did not use the word prisoners. Apparently there were none.

I am happy that we are all more understanding today, there are very few human divisions among nationalities and religions. Today I find the only people who are unreasonable and impossible to talk with are Alabama and Texas football fans. They have very little sense.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargha View Post
Visit the 442nd Regimental Combat Team clubhouse in Honolulu sometime and make your case to the oldtimers there. You will be cut in half by the stink eye you'll receive from these venerated Japanese-American warriors.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Bill Hedin

Default Curious Beaks set #91!

I was excited to see this Player's set called Curious Beaks listed because I just got one from a friend in the U.K., and it's a nice set. The players tobacco cards (and other U.K. tobacco sets are generally stored in these cool plastic sheets and look nice in the European type binder/sheets!
Just my observation!
I like the various themes of the U.K. sets such as the 2 I just got:
25 card set of Napolean and a similar size set of Curious Beaks!
The military themed sets and some animal/bird sets from over there are very affordable and plentiful.
Thanks again, Leon, for sharing these great issues of the Bulletin!
Regards,
Bill Hedin
Here's another of my favorite foreign sets from an Extract Company, again... cheap and plentiful but absolutely great art work!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liebig.jpg (78.3 KB, 46 views)