NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-07-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Apparently you, Howard, rats and I have been stricken with the same disease.
I must be terminnaly ill. I have had it for 40 years.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Howard Chasser

Default The world should be blessed

to know no worse illness
Old 05-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Auction mania

Anyone win any cool Clemente stuff in any of the recently closed auctions?

I got the 63 IDL, 65 Macgregor and 72 OPC I/A in Small Traditions. Underbidder on the 52 Winter League composite photo in REA
Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

I got the 63 IDL, 65 Macgregor and 72 OPC I/A in Small Traditions. Underbidder on the 52 Winter League composite photo in REA
I won this one in REA. I remember buying packs of these when I was a kid and pulling the Pirates poster. Are those 3 you won in Small Traditions upgrades? I would have thought you'd have picked up those a long time ago.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Nice pick up Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I won this one in REA. I remember buying packs of these when I was a kid and pulling the Pirates poster. Are those 3 you won in Small Traditions upgrades? I would have thought you'd have picked up those a long time ago.

I threw a couple of bids at it, but focused on other things early. Had some difficulty letting that 52 composite photo go.

The ST pickups are upgrades for me. Working on a registry set - upgrading certain condition rarities as they come up. Expect to make it to 3rd place this year ( currently 5th) - having bazooka complete boxes, I am unwilling to spend " real money" on singles and panels- certain other things there don't much care for ( key chain insert, Atlantic panels) Possibly eventually make 2nd. Also unwilling to send pristine 1968 bazooka box to PSA so they can bend the flap to squeeze into their holder. Things got kind of boring ( except this past year) so decided to do the registry. As I explained to my kids - the registry set is just part of the collection.

On a separate note - Anyone happen to know who won clemente's ws rings from the hunt sale?

Last edited by hcv123; 05-07-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Day 129

In 1970, the Philadelphia Phillies produced programs with stars from the visiting team pictured on the cover. Some of the players I've seen on the covers include Banks, Rose, McCovey and Clemente.

This next item was purchased in a lot of Phillies programs. The seller made no mention of Clemente, but it was pictured in the seller's photos.

1970 Phillies Program w/ Clemente cover...

Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:

Congrats! (the IDL and 72 OPC I/A were mine, enjoy...)
Speaking of auctions, I start the bidding at $2000 for that pop 1/1 hand puppet above...
Old 05-09-2018, 04:59 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Thanks empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
Speaking of auctions, I start the bidding at $2000 for that pop 1/1 hand puppet above...
I thought they both went pretty low - especially the OPC. Great additions to my collection. Thanks again. Any other high grade Clementes you want to move, PM me!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
SOLD!!!...Auction has ended, you are the winner. Please keep in mind the buyer's premium has been raised to 50% to help offset shipping costs...lol

Day 130

This next item is the only copy I have seen. Anyone else have a copy?

1972 New York 49th Annual Baseball Dinner (Scorebook # 11)...Bill Gallo artwork

Last edited by docpatlv; 05-09-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
SOLD!!!...Auction has ended, you are the winner. Please keep in mind the buyer's premium has been raised to 50% to help offset shipping costs...lol

Day 130

This next item is the only copy I have seen. Anyone else have a copy?

I have one. I've seen 1 or 2 more. Visually awesome item! Tough.

Last edited by hcv123; 05-09-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I thought they both went pretty low - especially the OPC. Great additions to my collection. Thanks again. Any other high grade Clementes you want to move, PM me!
I agree, but I don't mind supporting the independent AHs, since they are useful brokers when I'm the one on the buying side if the have something unique (and besides, I've mostly burned out with trying to bother with eBay selling myself).

And not that it can be controlled in that scenario, but I'm also pleased for them to go to a true collector rather than a random speculator...
Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Got it.

Quote:
I agree, but I don't mind supporting the independent AHs, since they are useful brokers when I'm the one on the buying side if the have something unique (and besides, I've mostly burned out with trying to bother with eBay selling myself).

And not that it can be controlled in that scenario, but I'm also pleased for them to go to a true collector rather than a random speculator...
Well, I totally respect that and agree that there is a much greater likelihood for them to hit a collector as I doubt many non collectors randomly troll sports auctions the way they do eBay. In all cases - thanks for the great additions to my collection!
Old 05-10-2018, 07:20 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
I have one. I've seen 1 or 2 more. Visually awesome item! Tough.

I have one as well

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Day 131

A couple of photos (Sorry for the watermarks)

ca. 1960s Press photo...

1971 UPI Photo...

Old 05-10-2018, 10:01 PM

Not mine, and it came to my attention only after auction closed the other day, but can anyone comment on this coin item from ebay? The newspaper clipping explains it was a fundraising exercise from '73 aiming for a kids sports complex in Puerto Rico. However, I have never seen it, being as my knowledge is mostly limited to PSA registry items, and this isn't in the list, but given it's from the same era as the Esso coin which is, perhaps this should be too, unless someone also has any insight on the criteria the TPGs use for deciding what they will and won't slab?:

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Not mine, and it came to my attention only after auction closed the other day, but can anyone comment on this coin item from ebay? The newspaper clipping explains it was a fundraising exercise from '73 aiming for a kids sports complex in Puerto Rico. However, I have never seen it, being as my knowledge is mostly limited to PSA registry items, and this isn't in the list, but given it's from the same era as the Esso coin which is, perhaps this should be too, unless someone also has any insight on the criteria the TPGs use for deciding what they will and won't slab?:

Attachment 315518

Attachment 315519

Attachment 315520

Empty,

I have mine listed as a 1970s commemorative coin. I don’t think it’s particularly rare. Not sure about the registry, maybe Howard might know.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Good question

Quote:

Attachment 315518

Attachment 315519

Attachment 315520

I will never try to guess what PSA would or wouldn't do. I have had too many experiences with little rhyme or reason to them with PSA. To my knowledge it has not been graded by PSA to date. They have a general rule that the item must be listed in at least 1 nationally recognized price guide. Not sure that I have seen that coin listed - you?

I too have at least 1 of them. My memory wanes a bit, but I believe I may have seen them made of 2 different metals - 1 silver and 1 not (aluminum maybe?) - I'll keep an eye out next time I dig......
Old 05-11-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I will never try to guess what PSA would or wouldn't do. I have had too many experiences with little rhyme or reason to them with PSA. To my knowledge it has not been graded by PSA to date. They have a general rule that the item must be listed in at least 1 nationally recognized price guide. Not sure that I have seen that coin listed - you?

I too have at least 1 of them. My memory wanes a bit, but I believe I may have seen them made of 2 different metals - 1 silver and 1 not (aluminum maybe?) - I'll keep an eye out next time I dig......

Yes, I forgot to add that mine seems to be made from a different type of metal, not sure what though.

Day 132

1971 Buc Banter...

Old 05-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Howard Chasser

Default yhey look different to me - reprint?

Quote:

Attachment 315518

Attachment 315519

Attachment 315520
The pictures of the coins in the newspaper look a bit different to me than the one that was sold. first the outer edge of the coins are completely different and 2 - on the back side of the coin there is something (can't make out what) beneath Clemente's legs on the auctioned coin that is not in the picture from the newspaper.

Anyone else know anything more about these?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Figured you might enjoy this

The original art for the 1963 Clemente Jello - included original photographs taken just for the issue. Happens to have Maris and Banks on the same sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jello clemente 1.jpg (66.7 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg jello clemente 2.jpg (74.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg jello clemente 4.jpg (68.9 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by hcv123; 05-11-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=docpatlv;1775792]Yes, I forgot to add that mine seems to be made from a different type of metal, not sure what though.

and from Howard: I too have at least 1 of them. My memory wanes a bit, but I believe I may have seen them made of 2 different metals - 1 silver and 1 not (aluminum maybe?) - I'll keep an eye out next time I dig......
-------------

So there is also this additional ad that was found, confirming what the other newspaper ad indicated, but in a little more journalistic detail, and easier to read since the res is larger, intimating the future production of a "gold" coin:

coin ad.jpg

As to the points about the difference in appearance, I see what you mean. Perhaps the newspaper ad used a draft prototype of what was envisioned but not actually minted (but then the ad states that at that point the print run was already 600, so why couldn't/wouldn't they have had the real thing to photo?); so maybe the more probable explanation is that there was an early run, but if it was popular and profitable they minted more later and the later ones had these different design characteristics? In that case we should all be on the lookout for a version of the coin that actually exists representing that newspaper ad more closely...

Last edited by Empty77; 05-12-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: quote/response displayed confusingly
Old 05-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Mikeknapp

This silver 1971 Latin American player of the year award is one of the items I picked up at the last Hunt auction. I bid on it despite the photographs which revealed heavy tarnish and oxidation to the silver. I landed it fairly cheaply. When it arrived it was barely legible the color was essential black and gray. Which is likely why I obtained it so cheaply. I dipped it in a sodium aluminum bath and the tarnish and much of the oxidation disappeared. I will likely invest in a professional cleaning down the road. Nonetheless I am thrilled to add it to my 1971 Pirate collection. The shape is highly reflective and picks up color in a pretty cool fashion. It also makes it difficult to take a picture of the engraved text. I have posted multiple pictures to display this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 award multi.jpg (79.3 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 1971_award_blue.jpg (59.3 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg 1971_award_flat.jpg (57.6 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 1971_award_terxt.jpg (80.1 KB, 224 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Old 05-12-2018, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Empty77;1776003]
Quote:
Yes, I forgot to add that mine seems to be made from a different type of metal, not sure what though.

and from Howard: I too have at least 1 of them. My memory wanes a bit, but I believe I may have seen them made of 2 different metals - 1 silver and 1 not (aluminum maybe?) - I'll keep an eye out next time I dig......
-------------

So there is also this additional ad that was found, confirming what the other newspaper ad indicated, but in a little more journalistic detail, and easier to read since the res is larger, intimating the future production of a "gold" coin:

Attachment 315681

As to the points about the difference in appearance, I see what you mean. Perhaps the newspaper ad used a draft prototype of what was envisioned but not actually minted (but then the ad states that at that point the print run was already 600, so why couldn't/wouldn't they have had the real thing to photo?); so maybe the more probable explanation is that there was an early run, but if it was popular and profitable they minted more later and the later ones had these different design characteristics? In that case we should all be on the lookout for a version of the coin that actually exists representing that newspaper ad more closely...
Mine definitely appears to be more gold than silver, but I haven't really done any research into the different types.

Great items Howard and Mike!

Day 133

I saw an example of this next item go for big $$$ recently, so I went to look at mine...BUT...it turns out I didn't have one

So I checked on eBay and found one. I was very surprised how much this card sells for in high grades. Mine is raw and not high grade but I'm happy with it.

1971 (thinking I read somewhere that it was actually issued around 1979) Fleer World Series card...

Old 05-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Mikeknapp

[QUOTE=docpatlv;1776073]
Quote:

Mine definitely appears to be more gold than silver, but I haven't really done any research into the different types.

Day 133

I saw an example of this next item go for big $$$ recently, so I went to look at mine...BUT...it turns out I didn't have one

So I checked on eBay and found one. I was very surprised how much this card sells for in high grades. Mine is raw and not high grade but I'm happy with it.

1971 (thinking I read somewhere that it was actually issued around 1979) Fleer World Series card...

I think it was perhaps a 1975 issue?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Laughl...kAAOSwMmBVlHDW

Last edited by 71buc; 05-12-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Man, I just love this thread. I'm old, but was too young at the time to know anything about Roberto Clemente (except, sadly, as a little kid seeing his card in 1973 and knowing he had died months before), so it is really cool seeing all the admiration for him on these pages. Great stuff!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=docpatlv;1776073]
Quote:

Day 133

The extension for the 1971 Fleer World Series set was for the years 1971-1977 and released in 1978. The extensions were printed in much smaller quantities with the World Series cards from 1903-1970 for Good Humor (sold by their Ice Cream Trucks). Robert Laughlin sold sets of the cards that were left over through an ad in SCD.

Here is a copy of his ad.

Last edited by rats60; 05-12-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=rats60;1776117]
Quote:

The extension for the 1971 Fleer World Series set was for the years 1971-1977 and released in 1978. The extensions were printed in much smaller quantities with the World Series cards from 1903-1970 for Good Humor (sold by their Ice Cream Trucks). Robert Laughlin sold sets of the cards that were left over through an ad in SCD.

Here is a copy of his ad.

So 1978 then, thanks for the info rats.

And Darren, glad you’re enjoying the thread!

Last edited by docpatlv; 05-12-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
The original art for the 1963 Clemente Jello - included original photographs taken just for the issue. Happens to have Maris and Banks on the same sheet.
That is real nice. Thanks for showing it.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Mikeknapp

Great information Rats60. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Day 134

1972 3,000th Hit Poster...

Old 05-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Mike

[QUOTE=docpatlv;1776133]
Quote:

So 1978 then, thanks for the info rats.

And Darren, glad you’re enjoying the thread!
Cool info about the '71 Fleer. Not sure if retail sales quantities were lower, but the '71 Fleer Pirates/O's card is the most graded of the set by PSA, with 110 (2nd is the 1932 Yankees/Cubs with 72 graded)

It definitely has prices higher than I would have expected given its late production; PSA auction prices show $340+ for PSA 6, up to $1,200 for PSA 9 and $3,300 for PSA 10

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw that all the post-1970 World Series cards definitely are priced higher after a quick search on eBay -- makes sense given that there are a lot fewer overall cards in circulation, given they were printed later in shorter quantity. Also seems more people had the later ones graded (as a percent of the total ones sold), which makes sense since they're rarer overall.

Last edited by MCoxon; 05-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=MCoxon;1776276]
Quote:

Cool info about the '71 Fleer. Not sure if retail sales quantities were lower, but the '71 Fleer Pirates/O's card is the most graded of the set by PSA, with 110 (2nd is the 1932 Yankees/Cubs with 72 graded)

It definitely has prices higher than I would have expected given its late production; PSA auction prices show $340+ for PSA 6, up to $1,200 for PSA 9 and $3,300 for PSA 10

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw that all the post-1970 World Series cards definitely are priced higher after a quick search on eBay -- makes sense given that there are a lot fewer overall cards in circulation, given they were printed later in shorter quantity. Also seems more people had the later ones graded (as a percent of the total ones sold), which makes sense since they're rarer overall.
The 1971 set had World Series cards from 1903-1970. The 1978 set had World Series cards from 1903-1977. There are no double printed cards in the set that I know of, so 1971-1977 would be available in much smaller quantities. The 1978 cards were also only available through Good Humor, where the 1971 set was available through normal Fleer channels.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Mike

[QUOTE=rats60;1776305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post

The 1971 set had World Series cards from 1903-1970. The 1978 set had World Series cards from 1903-1977. There are no double printed cards in the set that I know of, so 1971-1977 would be available in much smaller quantities. The 1978 cards were also only available through Good Humor, where the 1971 set was available through normal Fleer channels.
Very cool, makes sense. thanks a ton.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:00 AM

Day 135

1962 & 1963 Salada Coins...

Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 AM

Day 136

Yesterday, I posted the 1962 Salada coin. I had wanted this next item for a long time but just never seemed to pick one up. I found one last year on eBay.

1962 Salada coins Pirates team set in shield...

Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Mike

[QUOTE=MCoxon;1776393]
Quote:

Very cool, makes sense. thanks a ton.
Got inspired - picked this up

love this thread, though it might be making me buy more clementes...! (which is a good thing, I guess)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente 1971 fleer.jpg (80.0 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by MCoxon; 05-15-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=MCoxon;1777127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post

Got inspired - picked this up

love this thread, though it might be making me buy more clementes...! (which is a good thing, I guess)

Nice Mike. That card seems to bring good prices in higher grade. Nice pickup!!!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:36 AM

Day 137

Rare ca. 1960s Vitalis promo photo. This is the only copy I have seen.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Mikeknapp

Awesome that one is new to me.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:41 PM
M@rk Comer

Some really nice items! Always thought those Salada shields were cool and the Clemente Vitalas photo is NICE! Of course I’m glad someone finally posted an Orioles card as well 😳. Yes; the O’s should have won that Series (also ‘79...).
Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Some really nice items! Always thought those Salada shields were cool and the Clemente Vitalas photo is NICE! Of course I’m glad someone finally posted an Orioles card as well 😳. Yes; the O’s should have won that Series (also ‘79...).
Your O's got Blass-sted.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:01 AM

Day 138

I mentioned in an earlier post that I don't collect a lot of newer Clemente items, but I do collect patches with Roberto if I like the way they look. Although the next items are relatively new, they were produced in very limited quantities and aren't offered too often.

2017 Boy Scouts National Jamboree patches...

Old 05-17-2018, 07:53 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Your O's got Blass-sted.
😳

It’s funny (not ha ha funny...) how I don’t hate the Pirates for winning the WS (even though the O’s should have won!), but STILL hate the Mets!!

Doc... those patches creep me out a tad bit 😎
Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
😳

It’s funny (not ha ha funny...) how I don’t hate the Pirates for winning the WS (even though the O’s should have won!), but STILL hate the Mets!!

Doc... those patches creep me out a tad bit 😎
Lol Mark,

I swear they don't look as creepy in person *goes to check*.......welllllll, yes they do, but only a little bit.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:47 AM
Mikeknapp

Amateur snap shot of Clemente's 3000th hit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_1.jpg (78.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2.jpg (75.8 KB, 243 views)

Old 05-18-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Amateur snap shot of Clemente's 3000th hit.

That's an awesome photo Mike!

Day 139

1984 Pittsburgh Pirates pocket schedule...

Old 05-18-2018, 07:18 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
This silver 1971 Latin American player of the year award is one of the items I picked up at the last Hunt auction. I bid on it despite the photographs which revealed heavy tarnish and oxidation to the silver. I landed it fairly cheaply. When it arrived it was barely legible the color was essential black and gray. Which is likely why I obtained it so cheaply. I dipped it in a sodium aluminum bath and the tarnish and much of the oxidation disappeared. I will likely invest in a professional cleaning down the road. Nonetheless I am thrilled to add it to my 1971 Pirate collection. The shape is highly reflective and picks up color in a pretty cool fashion. It also makes it difficult to take a picture of the engraved text. I have posted multiple pictures to display this.
obviously forever Altered ! disgusting! (j/k - beautiful piece - congrats!
Old 05-19-2018, 07:38 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
obviously forever Altered ! disgusting! (j/k - beautiful piece - congrats!
Thanks, I have been torn about restoration. I found a Seattle based silversmith who does amazing work. He is currently working on a Jabbar trophy. I decided that I wanted the platter to look like it did when it was given to Clemente. The condition right now is acceptable but it could be much more attractive. Right now it is reflective but due to oxidation and tarnish, caused by what I assume was humidity the text doesn't stand out like it should. I guess In the end its my mistake to make. I don't think cleaning or restoring effects it value or meaning to my collection.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM

Day 140

1962 Topps regular issue, leader and team cards...

Old 05-19-2018, 10:43 PM

The '62 regular issue brings back memories for me. It was the first real Clemente I ever acquired (not counting the '87 Kmart card, etc).

Late '80s, begged mom to drive 45 min across town to a card shop I learned existed, the only one around and I had never been to one before. It was called "collector's corner" (which at the time seemed unique and remarkably clever [it was actually on a street corner]).

Was probably going for Griffeys, not Clemente, which I think I figured wasn't possible anymore, but then here was this magical place that had all sorts of stuff, not just new stuff, but old stuff too, which prior I just hadn't imagined, only experiencing wax packs from the supermarket aisle.

Then there in a top loader under the glass beside Mays' and Mantles, etc., was a '62 T Clemente (even then the wood grain border made it easy to remember which year was which from price guide pics). The sticker price was $8, and as I recall it had fairly rounded corners and so in hindsight was fair to moderately overpriced, but to me seemed like such a great find (I was not in Pittsburgh at the time and was hours from a major metro area with a serious sports culture).

Long story short, it took several years of saving up b-day money and summer neighborhood jobs to complete a basic issue run, but I did. I don't really recall which one I picked up second or beyond, but I'll always remember that the '62 came first.