NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-19-2022, 08:59 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Anyone else LOVING the ASG broadcast?

I'm loving the mic'd up. I mean, someone has to get Manoa on a stationary bike between starts! He was panting after a few pitches.

Opposing layers talking to each other from the dugouts, guys talking through their AB, ect. The announcers had very little mindless stat reading or 'interesting' anecdotes. And no strike zone box or endless scrolls!

I could see this format bringing in new fans.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:46 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I'm loving the mic'd up. I mean, someone has to get Manoa on a stationary bike between starts! He was panting after a few pitches.

Opposing layers talking to each other from the dugouts, guys talking through their AB, ect. The announcers had very little mindless stat reading or 'interesting' anecdotes. And no strike zone box or endless scrolls!

I could see this format bringing in new fans.
The pitchers that came, came to throw and throw hard. The ASG is still pretty amazing in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:27 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I enjoy the game and the players being Mic'd made it slightly interesting but I do not see the mass population getting into that gimmick.

The game itself was good and the pitchers were pitching which was good but I am sure the ratings will be low especially with minimal homers and nothing on the line.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-20-2022, 06:52 AM

I'd agree it was interesting. I think it's nice letting the players show some personality. It makes the players and the game more marketable without getting in the way of game play.

Last edited by Mike D.; 07-20-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:13 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I enjoyed some the mic'ed up aspect. My biggest issue with the Fox broadcasts is John Smoltz- great player, horrible commentator IMO
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 07-20-2022, 07:19 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I'd agree it was interesting. I think it's nice letting the players show some personality. It makes the players and the game more marketable without getting in the way of game play.
It was fun, but it would seem way more intrusive to game play speaking with a batter than a pitcher. ASG is an exhibition, so no real harm. They really were having fun. Can't see it flying in competition, though.

It brought back memories of my playing days.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:05 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Thought it was great...the only things I didn't like was coming back from commercials late, thus missing some of the game action and 'Papi in the house'...for the same reason.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-20-2022 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:52 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I enjoyed some the mic'ed up aspect. My biggest issue with the Fox broadcasts is John Smoltz- great player, horrible commentator IMO
agreed Smoltz is not a very good commentator

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-20-2022, 09:16 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I really enjoyed the mic'd chat, and yep Smoltz is flailing as a commentator.

Sure would be nice to maybe see some change in the result on this prior to 2030. WTH is wrong with the NL?

Maybe they need to pull an Eddie Gaedel and put a blind squirrel in the lineup...

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:14 AM
John I.

I liked it, but I wish they could have nicer uniforms.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It was fun, but it would seem way more intrusive to game play speaking with a batter than a pitcher. ASG is an exhibition, so no real harm. They really were having fun. Can't see it flying in competition, though.

Agree that it wouldn't fly for a hitter...and really, even a pitcher is pretty questionable...OK in an exhibition like the AS game, but during the heat of a real game that matters? Probably not great.

They do it with fielders during regular season games, mostly OFers when I've seen it, and that seems to work pretty well.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
I liked it, but I wish they could have nicer uniforms.
I was explaining to my son that players used to wear their regular home uniforms, which looked really sharp. I mentioned that these jerseys mean they can sell special "All Star" jerseys. All about the money.

Plus, not sure what game-time temps were, but those dark gray AL "away" uniforms looked WARM.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:22 PM

I actually thought the AL uniforms were pretty cool. The NL uniforms were dull though.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:02 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
agreed Smoltz is not a very good commentator
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I really enjoyed the mic'd chat, and yep Smoltz is flailing as a commentator.
Is it too late to coax Tim McCarver out of retirement?
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 07-20-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Oh gosh, McCarver, Smoltz, Arod...it's like they're like "you know what people want with their baseball games? Former players who are just...awful at talking about baseball."
Old 07-20-2022, 07:22 PM

David Cone is the best in the business right now in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:28 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
David Cone is the best in the business right now in my opinion.
I like Cone, but I'm riding with Keith and Ronnie til the end!
Old 07-20-2022, 08:03 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

+1 Best thing to me is that the players were clearly having fun and that was contagious. I used to be a pitcher-catcher so those conversations brought back memories of my playing days. At first I thought it was odd the catcher (Trevino) kept asking the pitcher what he wanted, rather than calling the game himself, but then I realized he was catching those guys for the first time, so they weren't familiar with each other.

The uniforms were terrible. In football, uniforms of the 2 teams need to contrast for obvious reasons, but in baseball, much less so. It was much better when players wore their regular unis. If MLB wanted to sell more shirts, just issue a new set to the participants with a special patch, like they used to.

I was glad the MVP went to games at that same ballpark, and sat in left field where he hit his home run, when he was a youngster. Baseball starts as a game for kids and remembering that is cool.

In summary, this was the most entertaining game I've seen in quite some time.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:05 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
+1 Best thing to me is that the players were clearly having fun and that was contagious. I used to be a pitcher-catcher so those conversations brought back memories of my playing days. At first I thought it was odd the catcher (Trevino) kept asking the pitcher what he wanted, rather than calling the game himself, but then I realized he was catching those guys for the first time, so they weren't familiar with each other.

The uniforms were terrible. In football, uniforms of the 2 teams need to contrast for obvious reasons, but in baseball, much less so. It was much better when players wore their regular unis. If MLB wanted to sell more shirts, just issue a new set to the participants with a special patch, like they used to.

I was glad the MVP went to games at that same ballpark, and sat in left field where he hit his home run, when he was a youngster. Baseball starts as a game for kids and remembering that is cool.

In summary, this was the most entertaining game I've seen in quite some time.
I don't disagree about the uniforms, but Trevino and Cortes are teammates and very familiar with each other. I expect the reason Trevino went with whatever the pitcher wanted had more to do with the fact that it was an exhibition, he was only going to throw for an inning or so, and knew what felt to be his better stuff at the time.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:14 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
your can we use AI technology to replicate him.

Tim was fantastic. His voice, his insights, and his humor. WOW

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-21-2022, 08:48 AM

Hate to stand out again, but I hated McCarver.

To be honest, I can do without all of the play-by-play guys too - they bring nothing to the table for me.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-21-2022, 12:37 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Hate to stand out again, but I hated McCarver.

To be honest, I can do without all of the play-by-play guys too - they bring nothing to the table for me.
We will pray for you

That is blasphemy

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-21-2022, 06:09 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

I had mixed views on McCarver. Joe Morgan and A Rod are the only guys that stand out that I really did not like. Harry Carey and Ralph Kiner were my favorites. And I really love the Mets booth right now.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:42 PM

I HATE slip carey! I Mute Braves' games.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:44 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I HATE slip carey! I Mute Braves' games.
Good call.

all pun intended

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-22-2022, 02:11 PM

Put me in the camp that didn't like McCarver. When he wasn't belittling those that came after him and any stat more modern than game winning RBI's, he was blathering on aimlessly hunting for a point.

We're lucky enough in Red Sox country that when I have to tune into a game on Fox or ESPN I cringe. We miss Jerry Remy in these parts, but Dennis Eckersly has been really good, and the revolving cast of former players (Kevin Millar, Youk, etc.) have been solid enough.