NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default opinion on selling pro graded card

Posted By: shoo 

I have a t206 tris speaker im gone to put up on ebay it is graded by pro so more than likely it is trimmed I dont want to mislead anyone so what i was wondering should i list it as a possible trim job any input would help thanks

Old 07-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

You might wish to remove the card from the holder, state that it was originally graded by PRO and is or is likely (if it is or is likely) trimmed ... If you want to offer it in a PRO holder and make clear PRO's history and reputation and what the bidder should expect to be receiving, that would be fine and ethical-- it's just that, on a purely personal viewpoint, I would rather sell a trimmed card raw than in a PRO holder.

All authenticity is is accurately describing an item. So if your seller's description expresses clearly to readers what is being offered, there is no problem.

Old 07-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nickinvegas

I would take a good look at the card or post it here for opinions.

Though many cards graded by Pro are trimmed, not all of them are. I have purchased, broke out and submitted Pro graded cards to SGC and PSA and received grades. As it has been said before "buy the card, not the holder."

If you feel it is trimmed, I would state that in your auction.

Regards,
Nick

Old 07-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I don't think you have to say anything in your ad; post it and sell it. Just because PRO grades trimmed cards doesn't mean all of their cards are trimmed. Let the buyer see the card in the scan and decide for themselves whether or not to bid on it. There's a reason why PRO graded cards sell for less than their PSA, SGC, etc. counterparts: everyone knows they're taking a chance.

Old 07-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Smith

If you aren't sure it's trimmed:

I would go one further and break the card out of the holder, scan it to the group, and even send it to PSA or SGC and see how it comes back. If it comes back graded you win big. If it comes back evidence of trimming then you need to tell the bidders that it came back trimmed.

If you sell it saying "it may be trimmed" or "I think it's trimmed" then you're almost as bad off as saying "It came back as "trimmed" from PSA" so you might as well just find out yourself.

Did you buy it in a PRO holder not knowing about PRO at that time?

Jason

Old 07-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

You guys ever try to break a card out of a pro holder? it is very hard. Pro does not mean that the card is trimmed. It could just be creased in the middle and graded nmnt 7.5

describe the card as best you can and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Describe the card as fully as you can, mention any caveats you might have regarding possible alteration and leave the card in the holder. A lot of collectors will buy cards from ANY grading service quicker than a raw card.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Buy a card in a Pro-graded holder? Some posters here are kidding, right?? I have never seen any "worthwhile" baseball card in a Pro-graded holder on ebay that didn't appear to be trimmed, etc. Not everyone selling Pro-graded cards is a scammer, but Pro-grading is the most popular grading company for ebay scammers who are auctioning worthless, trimmed cards. Pro-grading's motto should be, "The finest trimmed cards that money can buy."

Old 08-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have to disagree with Mr. Lichtman on his point that everyone knows that PRO cards are posibly trimmed. Yes the people that frequent this board are quite aware of the fact and tend to shy away but the majority of the people on ebay are unaware of this board (just look at the Roy Huff cutouts people still buy) and not thus everyone is not aware of the all the facts around PRO. We like to think that everyone is aware of all we know on board, but that is what makes the board great, the EDUCATION we all get on the hobby.

Thus to me it is best thing to do would be to take the card out of the holder, measure the card, and if it measures fine send it in to SGC, PSA or GAI. To me a PRO holder is a kiss of death and would not bid, I would rather bid a raw card then a card in a card in a PRO holder.

Old 08-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

They were very low grade, dramatically overgraded, and were misidentified 1948-49 Leaf cards, but were clearly legitimate cards.