NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Default R

Se

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 02-24-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:12 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I think its the same card that has been cleaned up a bit. That top left corner looks exactly similar as does the way the blue intersects the black border on the top right of the card. Border measurements look the same as does the way the lettering of the name and team kind of slope down to the middle from the left then back up toward the right. The rea card has a smudge at the top of the N in N.Y. that isn't on the PWCC card or at least doesn't appear to be and the small paper piece below the N in the rea card has been removed. Bottom line I think its the same card that has been cleaned up.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 09-02-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

I'm glad someone else thinks it was cleaned a little. I was mostly comparing the notch in the upper left corner. The left side indent appears smaller in the PWCC listing and equal distance from the top. Where the notch in the REA listing appears twice the size of the distance from the top.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

REA one has a mark in the upper right quadrant, PWCC one doesn't appear to.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:06 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
REA one has a mark in the upper right quadrant, PWCC one doesn't appear to.
I was looking at that mark also but if you look closely at the PWCC card you can see a slight outline in the same place. I think it was there, I think its been cleaned. I think its the same card. Also look at the reverses of both cards there is that same space in the top line of the printing and all the other anomalies line up. I'd love to know who consigned this card. Who cleaned it.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 09-02-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I was looking at that mark also but if you look closely at the PWCC card you can see a slight outline in the same place. I think it was there, I think its been cleaned. I think its the same card.
Maybe the person who cleaned it is the one with 16 bids on it so far.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:13 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Those are legitimate bids by a valued customer.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Christina Vader - banned

Great Eye!

CV
Old 09-02-2018, 08:00 PM

Yep, that spot on the temple isn't on any other white cap I can find. Also like some notice that top left corner of the card has the same little tip out of it. Definitely cleaned but Is that ok ? Does that count as being altered ?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited by Solemany2k; 09-02-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

It could be the scans, but if those are the same setting, the cleaning resulted in a loss of some vibrancy IMO.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemany2k View Post
Yep, that spot on the temple isn't on any other white cap I can find. Also like some notice that top left corner of the card has the same little tip out of it. Definitely cleaned but Is that ok ? Does that count as being altered ?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
my problem is it looks like it was cleaned digitally. look at the odd pixel texture where the dot was in the blue field.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-02-2018, 09:21 PM

Great catch Larry! Definitely the same card, but it’s very curious if someone cleaned it- the guy cracks out an SGC 5.5, alters the card, and then resubmits it back to SGC, who then bumps it .5. You know with that corner, the spots on the card and the bad OC back, it wasn’t getting that much of a bump at all (6 at most), with the risk that it gets an A. Seems to me the juice isn’t worth the squeeze on cracking and messing with the card. I like the theory that it’s in the pictures/scans/pixels. But nevertheless, whatever happened, it resides in an SGC 6, so they bumped it, either as a raw submission or on review.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-03-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

If PWCC's scan is all but hiding that significant mark in the upper right quadrant that's pretty worrisome.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:43 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
It could be the scans, but if those are the same setting, the cleaning resulted in a loss of some vibrancy IMO.
I agree. It now looks pale/washed out compared to the original. Also, there is an indent/line to the right of his cap that is clearly visible but not so much in the second scan/pic.

Could just be the scanner setting making everything look different but I believe the card has also been cleaned rather than just resubmitted.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:01 AM
James

Much of the difference is likely due to different settings in the scan. If you look at some minute details like the small dark spot on matty's left elbow it becomes apparent that the differences in vibrancy/color are not likely the result of a cleaning. If they were, why would a small dark spot on matty's left elbow point (typical for this card) appear after a cleaning? The scans produced a dark rendering in the sgc 6 holder. As for the spot in the upper blue quadrant, it is possible that this was residue on the card that sgc removed before putting it in the new holder if that was requested by the customer.

Upshot is different settings likely caused the majority of differences in the image of the card, and whether or not it has been cleaned is inconclusive. Why this is PWCC High End is the biggest surprise to me? It's a questionable 6 given the top left corner and has some surface and centering issues that impact the eye appeal of the card.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Default Agree James

Why a high end 6? Maybe Brent bought it? Either way it certainly devalues their label of high end. I think this is just another bad mistake by the experts at PWCC.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Why a high end 6? Maybe Brent bought it? Either way it certainly devalues their label of high end. I think this is just another bad mistake by the experts at PWCC.

read the fine print.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-03-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Like the Ruth caramel sgc 3.5 HE....sure if centering doesnt factor in

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 PM

Default High end PWCC

Why are people buying into a high end sticker for cards that aren’t high end? I would have respect for it if it actually was legit. It’s really poor form on PWCCs part. I hope the board hears from Brett or Betsy in regards to the t206 Matty high end with stock loss on the upper left corner. I am sure there’s a great explanation for this.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Manny
Banned

Maybe the black mark and smudge was on the slab and not the card. Slabs get dirty and dinged up all the time.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Just closed for $4,551. Last sold at REA in its SGC 5.5 flip for $2,700 on 5/6/18.

In four months, the card goes from an SGC 5.5 worth $2,700 at REA, to an SGC 6 flip sold for $4,500 in a PWCC auction, in which PWCC says is High End. Wow.

Along those lines, anyone see the E102 Cobb SGC 4 that went for $17k+!! It is a gorgeous card, but it closed for more than double what I had it worth.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:24 PM
Anson

Tonight's PWCC results were stunning. The Cobb was unbelievable, as was the Johnson Portrait PSA 2.5. Certainly no deals to be had
Old 09-09-2018, 11:23 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Pretty low end for a 6, is there a sticker for that?

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-10-2018, 06:45 AM
T0m P00n

Buy the card, not the holder
Old 09-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Tom Boblitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Pretty low end for a 6, is there a sticker for that?
Pretty sure they use the "MEH" sticker for lower end cards.....
Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 PM

Also, low end stickers will exhibit wrinkling, border damage and noticeable wear to the surface gloss, issues which many collectors frown upon when searching for graded card stickers to add to their collection.

Brian
Old 09-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
Buy the card, not the holder
Now it's "buy the sticker" not the holder!!