NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-21-2019, 04:56 PM
Dave
David An.gelo

Default Heritage Auctions

Man, I bid and won a card on this site just recently. Thought everything was cool until they hit me with the invoice-- SALES TAX.

I'm totally bummed because I guess this is my fault but they keep that pretty secret. They tell you the price with the premium under every bid, but when you have 9% sales tax on top of THAT, then it kind of matters. I would never have gone so high on the card and now I am sad.

Every time I buy a card over $3000 I almost always get hit with some kind of "I was scammed" feeling.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Yep, a cruel world in which we live. I'd love to see the reciept of them sending it along to the state.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-21-2019, 08:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Yep, a cruel world in which we live. I'd love to see the reciept of them sending it along to the state.
That is ludicrous to say that. They do around a billion dollars a year in sales. I am guessing they have figured it out. That isn't the way smart people or companies make their money (scamming sales tax). It is quite crazy to say that unless you are joking and I don't see a smiley face. They have been in business around 30+ years too (in one form or another). All business in Texas know the State Comptroller doesn't play around. They carry guns.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Kyle C.

Also won my first Heritage item last night and was bummed with the sales tax and $35 shipping for one card. I suppose it’s my fault for not digging into the fine print but it definitely gave me a bad taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.crist View Post
Also won my first Heritage item last night and was bummed with the sales tax and $35 shipping for one card. I suppose it’s my fault for not digging into the fine print but it definitely gave me a bad taste.

Lucky it wasn't a more valuable card . . .you would have seen a line item for insurance I'm guessing.

All of this is disclosed clearly by Heritage. Sucks but it's all there. We forget many times caught up in the euphoria of try to "win an auction" in the middle of the night. Or morning. I live in Jersey. For LOTG, Goldin, REA I have to assume a 30% vig on top of what I am paying for anything I am lucky enough to "win".

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-22-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 AM
Dave
David An.gelo

The world of auctions is usually pretty transparent about pricing-- that's why invoice charges are really sneaky. No other way to say it. Lesson learned. I'll just never EVER buy from them again-- I'll stick to the auction houses that somehow manage to operate without charging sales tax.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundskeeper View Post
The world of auctions is usually pretty transparent about pricing-- that's why invoice charges are really sneaky. No other way to say it. Lesson learned. I'll just never EVER buy from them again-- I'll stick to the auction houses that somehow manage to operate without charging sales tax.
At some point in the not too distant future, my guess is, they (AH's) will all have to charge sales tax. We just need to figure it into our equation. As far as being sneaky it is on the buyers ignorance for not knowing. I have made the mistake too but it wasn't the other parties fault, it was mine. To each their own....

Last edited by Leon; 04-22-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:12 AM

If you set up a vault account with PWCC, you can have the card shipped to them and placed in storage with them, and you’ll pay no sales tax, because Oregon is sales tax exempt.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

its been long discussed on this board about sales tax with Heritage..people have asked which states does it apply too and the like

I know i dont bid on there anymore due to the tax
Old 04-22-2019, 11:56 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.crist View Post

You are in Connecticut and they don’t have a presence there. Why did they charge you tax?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:56 AM
Dave
David An.gelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtom View Post
If you set up a vault account with PWCC, you can have the card shipped to them and placed in storage with them, and you’ll pay no sales tax, because Oregon is sales tax exempt.
WOW good idea!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundskeeper View Post
WOW good idea!
Yet another sign of the apocalypse: Cardboard-Based IRAs.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-22-2019, 12:25 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
You are in Connecticut and they don’t have a presence there. Why did they charge you tax?
the "voluntarily" collect it in some states where they don't have a presence

Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Kyle C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post

As someone pointed out above me, I think they voluntarily do it on CT behalf. eBay also just started collecting sales tax this month for those living here, so I suppose it’s inevitable that this policy will continue to expand in the future.

Definitely makes me re-think the way I purchase cards moving forward. I think using the buy/sell boards here and other places might be the best bet.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:10 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

There was a update about a month or so ago on new cities that will be sales taxes. Georgia was one, so i am aware to be cautious. Just bid accordingly.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 PM
Mike Roche

I won an auction with them about two years ago. When I win the auction, I was living in Nevada but moved to New York shortly after. Three months after I won the auction, paid for it, and received the item they hit me up saying I owed sales tax because I was now living in New York. I exchanged a few choice words over email and haven’t used them since

Old 04-28-2019, 05:58 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Roche View Post
I won an auction with them about two years ago. When I win the auction, I was living in Nevada but moved to New York shortly after. Three months after I won the auction, paid for it, and received the item they hit me up saying I owed sales tax because I was now living in New York. I exchanged a few choice words over email and haven’t used them since

Should we assumed they’ve reimbursed sales taxes those those who have moved to non taxable states?
Old 04-28-2019, 07:14 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Should we assumed they’ve reimbursed sales taxes those those who have moved to non taxable states?
Of course, that ludicrous to say otherwise. They are a billion dollar company

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 04-28-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Robert Williams

I used to win stuff from them all the time. Since they implemented sales tax in my state, I won exactly ONE lot from them since them. With the sales tax involved, I have to pretty much get a super steal to win a Heritage item now. And with the competition from non sales tax states, that is few and far between now.