NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Default Old baseball film on dvd ?

I would huge big time like to purchase a dvd (or vhs) of actual live baseball game footage.

Perhaps a full 9 inning Sandy Koufax no-hitter DVD, or a complete game film of an early 1930's All Star game, or some actual live Ruth/Gehrig footage on dvd. Or a Lefty Grove game footage film, even a 1970's Nolan Ryan full 9 inning game no-hitter, etc.

I have searched the internet high and low with no luck. (did find a Ryan #7 no hitter - but nothing else - zip - zero).

I just called the baseball HOF in Cooperstown - no luck - had no clue.

Does such an item even exist? Any help on obtaining something like this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default maybe try here....

http://www.raresportsfilms.com/baseball.html

The guy who runs this place is a tad odd, but he's got some good stuff.

PS - I have some great 70's and 80's entire NFL Football Games on VHS. Earl Campbell, Steel Curtain, Walter Payton, Dallas Doomsday Defense, Dobler & Dierdorf, Houston Bum-er-roo!!!! and Luv Ya Blue, Monday Night Games with Cossell, Gifford, Dandy Don.....Hysterical Stuff....full games and some have great 70's and 80's commercials.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-22-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

There are very few complete game films out there from earlier games. I think the oldest one I've heard of was the one from 1960 recently discovered in Bing Crosbys wine cellar.

Most broadcasts were local, and seldom had copies made. That was done by kinescope, basically filming the tv screen. Weekly shows used highlight reels.

The change to televising many games came roughly at the same time as the changeover to broadcasts being on tape rather than film. And even the high quality broadcast tapes don't hold up well.

Add to that the issues with the actual films. Many places threw the films out to save space. Plus starting in the early 50's Kodak sold a cheaper color film stock that loses color, eventually changing to a pinkish version of black and white. They finally changed to something better around 1981-2, but the film systems that didn't fade(Technicolor, Kodachrome) were mostly gone from commercial use by the late 60's and ended in the US in 1974 - Kodachrome was out of favor for commercial products much earlier.

Even finding good quality prints of common films can be difficult, I have one of the Coke World Series Highlight films in Technicolor, but it's the only one I've seen.

Steve B
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Todd C

you can find some complete games on audio only.

There is a Detroit/Yankees game with Gehrig, Greenberg, etc..

WOW...to listen to that game and the names getting called. Lots of runs scored too.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Bruce Babcock

As Paul said (and linked to) above, Doak Ewing has some great stuff.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM
And.rew Whi.te

And Doak is a bit odd as mentioned before!!! great stuff....just a slightly bit different.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Don Larsen's perfect game from 1956 is available. As far as I know, it's complete - or really, really close to it. They've shown it on MLB Network many times.

The entire 1968 World Series is available.

A Monday Night Baseball game from 1976 is available with Mark Fidrych starting against the New York Yankees.

There's the aforementioned Bing Crosby game. That's the famous game 7 of the 1960 World Series with Mazeroski's HR. This one was released commercially on DVD and is widely available.

Other than that, not sure what all is available.

Tabe
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Chris Wood

Default iTunes

Check out iTunes. Specifically search "MLB The Vault"

Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'll have to check that out.

There's a Red Sox game from 67, I think a World Series game. It's been shown at least once, and is supposedly the oldest complete Sox game. If I recall correctly they said the next oldest complete game is 71.

The NCAA (Or is it NBA? I forget which) Claims to have NCAA finals back into the 40's. I checked on one and found they'd make a dvd for $250!
I bought the film negative of it for much less and did a digital conversion- not cheap unless you now someone with the special projector.

SteveB
Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Don Larsen's perfect game from 1956 is available. As far as I know, it's complete - or really, really close to it. They've shown it on MLB Network many times.

The entire 1968 World Series is available.

A Monday Night Baseball game from 1976 is available with Mark Fidrych starting against the New York Yankees.

There's the aforementioned Bing Crosby game. That's the famous game 7 of the 1960 World Series with Mazeroski's HR. This one was released commercially on DVD and is widely available.

Other than that, not sure what all is available.

Tabe
If I remember correctly, they didn't have the first inning of the Larsen perfect game.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Not complete games, but I have this collection - almost 3000 minutes of official World Series videos dating back to the 1940s:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-World.../dp/B002AS45SS

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-24-2011, 06:50 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
If I remember correctly, they didn't have the first inning of the Larsen perfect game.
Just so you know, no one got a hit off Larsen in the 1st.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
J@RR0D

Also, thanks Chris W for the MLB Vault link on iTunes. Those are FREE! I'm downloading them right now.

Anyone know where I can get any more old (20's-60's) radio broadcasts of MLB games?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 AM
J.O.N

Default MLB Vault

Thanks for the tip on MLB Vault!

My favorite is the first HOF induction. Very cool.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 PM

A little more recent, Len Barker's perfect game from 1981 should be available on DVD. They show it here in Cleveland frequently.