NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Yankeefan51

Default Where have all the PSA 8 1915 Cracker Jacks gone?

We have collected PSA 8 1915 Cracker Jacks of Federal League and NY American players for nearly 12 years.

Over the past year, the number of PSA 8 (NQ) 1915 Cracker Jacks appearing in any of the 12 major auction catalogs and on Ebay has been sparse, indeed.

Whilst expensive HOFs like Cobb, Wagber and Jackson have been offered in several auctions, the PSA 8 1915 Cracker Jacks on Ebay, for example have not changed in 8 months.

A few auction houses have sold the remains of an impressive Florida collection. SGC 88-96, but the PSA cards are scarce as can be.

Can anyone explain, why?

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com
Old 07-01-2011, 09:01 AM
James Gallo

People are sending them to SGC instead.

There are not a lot of them hence they don't change hands to often.

The Cracker Jack prices are very soft compared with a few years ago so people aren't selling at a loss.

The ones that are available are likely over priced in today's market and hence are not selling.

All of the above.

James G
Old 07-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Matt Hall

Maybe some card doctors retired?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 AM

Default Cracker Jacks

I agree wih James G, my psa 8 turned into a SGC 88. I like the look of sgc holder contrasting those vibrant CJ reds. Also, I have little to no interest inselling any '15 in this market. 1914 CJ, is another matter they are Cracker Jack red hot if you can find nice ones(part of the fun). I can't imagine selling the card below for $400-$550 (my guess on market value). I know how hard they are to find and are truely great to see 'in hand' and own. Not worth selling right now to me.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Paul

I have a theory that high grade PSA pre-war cards, including primarily caramels, are becoming more readily available only if they did not cross into SGC holders. So, not only may you not see many of them -- because they have been squirreled away into private collections (that's what was happening when the prices were rising earlier this decade) -- but the ones you do see available at auction or in sales are likely to be the over-graded ones.

I recently began dabbling in high grade E92 Dockmans. I have to say, the number of overgraded PSAs in this class has been stunning. And there are basically no high grade SGCs available. I think that's because the current wave of E92 collectors have finished their sets for the most part, and are only leaking back into the market the overgraded ones, which tend to be PSAs.

That's my two cents.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Bruce,

I know of collectors/customers that have high grade CJ's and just won't part with them at today's prices.

Cracker Jack cards have never been cheap (last 20+ years) to collect so the people who bought/collected them have been typically wealthier collectors. Wealthy people have not been in hit in the same way that most Americans have by the current economic crunch. That being said, there are willing sellers out there just not willing at the current prices.

The collectors who saved up or traded up to buy the one or two Hall of Famers may be in a situation where they have to sell. The collectors that purchased commons and minor stars that were "deals" because they were more readily available than the cards that, no doubt, are still on "Americas Toughest Wantlist" may be selling. Unfortunately, as is usually the case with sets like this, the prices of the tougher cards are determined by the prices of the easier cards.

Just yesterday I was offered the toughest card in the set (in an 8 or better) but I don't think I can sell it given what Cracker Jacks are currently selling for. It's not like the market has been flooded with this card driving the price down. However, when you look at the market 5-10 years ago when any Cracker Jack graded "8" or better had the shelf life of a mayfly at 2-5 times the price they are selling at today it gets a bit tough to sell a condition rarity to someone who bases their comfort level on what the average card sells for (even if it is a multiple of that price).

Just my opinion on the subject.

BTW my opinion and about $3.50 will buy you a gallon of gas in Missouri today.

Louis
Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bollman View Post
Bruce,

......Unfortunately, as is usually the case with sets like this, the prices of the tougher cards are determined by the prices of the easier cards.

.........it gets a bit tough to sell a condition rarity to someone who bases their comfort level on what the average card sells for (even if it is a multiple of that price).

Louis
You are spot on with these two comments as it relates to any prewar card set.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:54 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

BTW, not my stuff, but there are a few high grade 1915 Cracker Jacks, mostly SGC, in the current legacy rarities auction at Link
Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

who do you feel is the toughest card in the set Louis? Jack Barry?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:30 PM

It seems as though the last card in the set has proven to be as tough as they come. If you see a Hippo in an "8", buy it. If you see a hippo in the wild, leave!!! One of the deadliest animals. We don't have many here in Missouri but that's off the point of this thread.

Louis
Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Interesting points.

I agree that the prices have softened on these cards. I also agree that more SGC cards in these higher grades seem to be offered than PSA examples.

In this years REA, for example, there were about 10 PSA 8s, and about 35 SGC 88, 92 and 96 cards.

I bought Joe Wood in PSA 8 and Harry Hooper in SGC 88. The Hooper is by far the superior card. I got both cards for considerably below the prices recorded in the last few years...like about 33%-50% less...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe Wood #22 (PSA 8).jpg (77.6 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Harry Hooper #35 (SGC 88).jpg (77.2 KB, 260 views)
Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Beautiful cards, Blair. Very nice!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
Beautiful cards, Blair. Very nice!

Thank-you, sir!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Michael..Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bollman View Post
Wealthy people have not been in hit in the same way that most Americans have by the current economic crunch.
Other than the roughly 40% of Wall St. jobs that were lost in '08 and '09, plus the thousands of jobs in legal and other industries that support the Wall St. community in NY and the financial community across the country? And other than the fact that homes over $500,000 (the ones that the wealthy owned) lost a much higher % of their value than did homes under 500,000....It always make me laugh when people suggest that "wealthy" people weren't "hit in the same way". Just not true.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I disagree. I've really had to cut back on my private jet travel. Damn economy.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Okay, I misspoke and I do appolagize for my comment about the "wealthy not being hit the same way", I certainly know that people in this hobby, this country, and the world have all been effected directly or indrectly by the economic meltdown. However, I know very few collectors (personally) that have had to sell a set which, when they started building it, knew they were going to have to spend $400,000-$500,000+ and had the means to do it that now have to sell. I am, by no means, saying that they do not exist.

Louis
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM

I've actually seen quite a few on eBay recently (last 4 or 5 months). They were going really cheap not too long ago. The cards I was watching went for less than $350. I picked up a Delahanty SGC 88 myself for $305 but returned it because I thought it was over graded.

Last edited by packs; 07-01-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/rel...b10/022310.htm

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I picked up a Delahanty SGC 88 myself for $305 but returned it because I thought it was over graded.
...Probably explains the price, doncha think?

I agree though - there were some on eBay in 2011 that went for good prices. I picked up a gorgeous SGC 88 Heinie Wagner for $455 in February. That card had sold many, many times before in an "8" for $800 (and one freaky sale at Goodwin in 2009 for $2140.00 ). My price was the best I'd seen in many years of looking:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charles Heinie Wagner #31 (SGC 88).jpg (77.4 KB, 177 views)
Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM

Well in the case of my card, it had an ink mark that I thought was just a flub in the scan. Here is the card. Notice that ink line on Jim's leg. I returned it to the seller who was a really nice guy:

Last edited by packs; 07-02-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 PM

This is not a set people tend to part with easily.
If someone has to sell of their collection,
the more 'common' expensive cards go first (Topps/Bowman issues)
You can always get a Mantle Rookie '53 Topps Robinsons, etc
as those cards show up on auctions monthly.
But Cracker Jacks don't.