NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default Joe D. : vintage vs. retirement autograph

Posted By: Ed

My father, as a teen in the 40's, went to a lot of Yankees games. I recently found in his book collection, "Proud to be a Yankee", by DiMaggio, signed in the 40's. The signature looks slightly different than his retirement signatures, which I know exist in abundance. Still, the familiar dot over the "o" is present, and there is no reason for me to doubt its authenticity. Is there any premium on Joe D. autographs that were signed when he was actually playing?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If you can tell the difference, a youthful signature is more desirable. Take someone like Cy Young, who lived into his late 80's. His later signatures show a vey shaky hand.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

If you can tell the difference, a youthful signature is more desirable. Take someone like Cy Young, who lived into his late 80's. His later signatures show a very shaky hand.

Sorry about the double post- something strange happened on my computer.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

no problem

Old 05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

no problem

Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

All other things equivalent (what signed on, condition, etc), the earlier a player's signature the more valuable.

The youngest player signature I owned was Ken Hubb's high school chemistry class homework-- though this might be a case of the signature's value lowering due to being too young. I got the homework along with the family business' advertising calendar picturing an about 13 year old Ken in baseball uniform and his brother in football uniform. This had to be the earliest baseball advertising item of Ken.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

One of the reputable autograph auction houses (listed in http://www.auctionreport.com (am I allowed to provide a link ????) CURRENTLY has a few different Joe Dimaggio autographed photos (baseball uniform, street clothes, etc,...)

The one with him in street clothes is still only at the minimum bid !!!

Alan

Old 05-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

All things being equal, I would certainly prefer an autograph signed when the player was active as opposed to after he had retired, and I strongly suspect it would have a greater value as well. For example, suppose there are two single-signed Babe Ruth baseballs (identical in terms of condition of the ball, authenticity and darkness of the signature) up for auction, one proven to be signed in 1927, the other in 1946? I'd be shocked if the one from 1927 didn't sell for considerably more.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

1927 was Ruth's most famous season, so that may not be a good example. But I think we all prefer something from a person's prime than from his old age. That's just human nature.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

A fellow Jewish player collector has a game used Hank Greenberg jersey, but it's from the old-timers all-star game in the 1970's or early 1980's. That's much far less valuable then a gamer from his playing days, of course.

Alan

Old 05-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Is his work graded?
That must be an interesting item!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Ken Hubbs's 1964 Topps card has his obituary on the back (or at least "In Memorium"). The only other card I can think of like that is the T205 Joss. Does anyone know if there are any others?

Old 05-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Ken got a 'pass' or 'okay' or whatever was the grade from the teacher on his homework. As I recall, the homework was on atomic orbitals or something on that order. It was a perforated tear out home work page from a textbook that Ken filled out and wrote his name at top. If I recall correctly he was a junior in high school.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Here are some really nice Joe Dimaggio autographs at the link below if you're interested as I mentioned earlier in a post. I have no allegience with the auction house whatsoever.

http://www.rrauction.com/browse.cfm?SearchCrit=dimaggio

Alan