NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Patrick N.

Default Sheets

I may have broached this topic before but I feel like SOME of my ultra pro sheets allow the top row of cards to "peek" out and expose themselves to potential tippage/damage...I suppose if you have some EX/EXMT cards who really cares?

But I have a couple higher grade NM sets that I really don't like this (percieved?) damage that could/has occured. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Am I being paranoid? Does BCW? have better sheets?

Again, I have ultra-pro sheets. You would think that the top-selling provider of sheets would make sure that each card is protected and yet on the top row when I put cards in, the cards tend to "pop up" and the top edge/corners seem to be exposed unnecessarily...
Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Pat,

I had the same problem you did and even commented about it in the "How Many Cards Fit in a Binder?" thread. I used display my sets in binders, but removed them a few years ago due to this problem. I was afraid the top row of cards would get dinged.

I still have some non-expensive sets in binders, but I have now switched to another method of storage for older, more valuable sets. I store each card in an Ultra Pro semi-rigid top loader (like the Card Savers). I can buy a box (200) of them for $12.00 and then store them in a cardboard vault box that costs about $3.00. So for example I can store my '61 Topps set (589 cards) for about $39.

David
Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 PM

I've had the same problem. I started putting my top rows in soft sleeves before putting them in the pages. I have thought about doing that with all the sheet rows as they fit pretty snug but not too snug.

Chris
Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Yep you're not alone...my 1970-79 Topps sets are all in a binder with those sheets..and some did get a little nick..not much of a bother for me..except for the colored border cards (1970 grey, 1971 black and 1975 rainbow).

I was thinking of going the way of David's suggestion for the 1970-75 sets...

Ricky
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Jason Albregts

Same problem here. I've removed the defective sheets and replaced them.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Patrick N.

Does anyone know of a nice alternative to ultra pro sheets? As per David's suggestion I just prefer to look at my sets in a binder rather than toploaders/card savers . And the sleeve suggestion I think the cards fit "too snug" like that and could cause a crease and don't look very good but to each his own...
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 PM

Default ?

Older thread bump for related question...

Are there any 9 pocket pages (PVC free) that will hold soft sleeved cards easily without the excess snugness?

I use Ultra Pro Platinum soft sleeves and found they fit too tightly into Ultra Pro Platinum pages, almost need to force them in...unsettling feeling.

Several years ago I had my small collection (post '56) in soft sleeves into pages into a binder, and I remember them fitting just right. Can't remember what pages I used though...any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Roland Antine

Default Sheets

I used sheets from Dens Collectors Den . He's the guy who invented them and also was coauthor of the original price guide. He also was a chemist. The sheets are side entry. Never had a problem with them. He died a while back and they are no longer available. still have lots of hem.
Roland
Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Default Never get an answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Pat,

I store each card in an Ultra Pro semi-rigid top loader (like the Card Savers). I can buy a box (200) of them for $12.00 and then store them in a cardboard vault box that costs about $3.00.

David
I store most of my cards this way but in a penny sleeve first. I've always been concerned that the semi-rigids aren't acid free. The packaging doesn't say and I can never seem to find an answer. Does anyone know?