NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default AL West: Mariners and Astros - hopeless?

Last year before the start of the season, I read an article describing the most hopeless franchises, and the Astros and Mariners were the focus. It doesn't look like either team has done anything to improve their prospects since that article was written.

The Mariners minor league yielded a bit more hope than expected, but the only other thing they've done is add a Japanese middle-reliever and a Japanese utility player - in keeping with the Japanese owners prior strategy of drawing fans based on the Seattle areas's Asian population, as opposed to actually spending money and building a winning team.

The Astros have done nothing.

Meanwhile, the Angels have signed Pujols, the Rangers continue to stay strong...

Thoughts from other West Coasters? (or other)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM
pariah1107

Agreed, the reclusive Mariner ownership did nothing this off-season, unless you count George Sherrill returning. The Seattle Times keeps writing about Prince Fielder, but that is ridiculous. What power hitter wants to play at Safeco?

I'll still go to games, because I like the starters Hernandez, Pineda, and Vargas, the infield with young players Ackley, Smoak, and Carp, and the outfield, hopefully Gutierrez is healthy all year. Good young talent, odds of them developing simultaneously are astronomical. Ichiro may have a couple good years left, but don't count on it. They won't threaten for the pennant but I like to see players develop.... Losing Halman was a horrible tragedy.

They may not set the league on fire, but really no better way to spend the day then at a game at beautiful Safeco Field. Now, with Pujols in the league we can at least see him play.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
...but really no better way to spend the day then at a game at beautiful Safeco Field.
That is certainly true.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default +2

No better way to spend the weekend...I like taking the train from Vancouver, staying at the hotel (Silver Cloud) across the street from Safeco and using the free hotel shuttle to drive me around to anywhere in Seattle I want to go...
I have done that 4-5 times. The city is beautiful & eclectic and the stadium is among baseball's finest. Now the team isn't very good, but they have a great record in the last 10 games or so that I've been too...maybe 8-2.
I'm excited about the 2012 season because I love being at the ballpark...oh beating Pujols and the Angels would feel good too

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM
pariah1107

Seems like everyone here is a bag fan of Safeco Field. Does any Mariner fan know how the demolition of the Alaska Way Viaduct is coming along? Will outfield tickets now have a virtually, unobstructed view of the Puget Sound and Olympic Peninsula? thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Seems like everyone here is a bag fan of Safeco Field. Does any Mariner fan know how the demolition of the Alaska Way Viaduct is coming along? Will outfield tickets now have a virtually, unobstructed view of the Puget Sound and Olympic Peninsula? thanks.
I walked to Safeco for a game, about 3 days after arriving in Seattle after a cross-country drive with all my possessions in a rented SUV. The day was so beautiful and the stadium so perfect, that I seriously thought might cry with joy. Sounds sappy, but it hit me at that moment that I could do this for the rest of my life, and what could be more perfect? Well, now I have that answer: not only are my favorite AL team (the Rangers) in Seattle's division, but now my favorite team (the Astros) are moving in.

Out of all the baseball games I've been to, Safeco has produced by far the highest percentage of bad games, but also the highest percentage of enjoyable experiences other than Fenway and Wrigley.

I normally sit in the first couple of rows of the outfield, or lower in the infield, so I don't remember any great views other than downtown. But I can see Puget Sound from my home downtown, so I don't pay much attention to it while at a baseball game. The viaduct doesn't obstruct much other than the lower waterfront building - it's just an eyesore in general. They tore down part of it and re-routed some traffic last Fall, but it's back open and i don't think they plan to do further (de)construction for a while. I don't drive, so I don't pay much attention.