NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2005, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Default To share or Not to share ??

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I have been "scorned" several times now (usually by the same person who always claims to be speaking for the masses) for being a "boaster" or a "show off" or a "snob" for posting pictures of my cards on this site.

Mind you, I have never just started my own thread to show scans of my cards, but have always just contributed to whatever the thread calls for.

If someone starts a thread asking for a scan of "Cobb/Wagner/Ruth/Johnson/Matty"... is everyone allowed to respond but me?

If someone starts a thread entitled "New Pickups"... is everyone allowed to respond but me?

Is there some "dollar limit" over which a card may not be shown on this board?

Heck, the MODERTATOR of this site never fails to find an opportunity to show us his "Four Base Hits" cards and other rare type cards... but I would NEVER want him to STOP doing this because I love being able to see stuff that I don't have.

HERE IS MY REAL QUESTION:

There seems to be, amongst some folks, a "reverence" or a "worship" for some of these collectors who hoard up a bunch of great cards and then "hide them away" and don't share them with others.

We always hear the mantra, "There are several old time collectors who have great cards that will never see the light of day,"... or, "I know who owns that card, but he doesn't want anyone to know."

Why is this type of collector never chastised or discussed for NOT SHARING their cards with the hobby population?

I would understand it if we were talking about making a donation to a charity or something like that. In those instances, the "good deed" is the ACTION itself, and anyone who then goes out and crows about how much they gave is not as respected as those donors who remain anonymous.

But this is different.

These are like pieces of art... and I have MUCH MORE appreciation for the art owner who lets the Museum display his art for EVERYONE to see... than I do for the crusty old hermit who has his paintings in the den where only he can see it every night -- or where he can control who sees them and who doesn't.

Don't get me wrong. I have conversed with several of these collectors, and found many of them to be very nice people. They are just very private people, and they certainly have the right to be this way.

BUT... there are still many very easy and inexpensive ways for them to share their cards with the collecting world and MAINTAIN their anonymity. They wouldn't "lose" anything"... but the rest of the hobby would gain a lot.

After all, what have these collectors accomplished if they go to their grave with their great collections but nobody ever knows about them? Isn't there something just a little off about someone who collects SOLELY for himself and just wants to be the king of his own little world?

Should these private collectors be forced to share?

NO, not if they don't want to.

But should those of us who DO choose to share with others be ridiculed or scorned?

NO, not if we are not being condescending or rude.

If I have been anything on this board, it is pleasant and humorous. If I have ever been rude or snobbish to anyone, I cannot remember it (but I certainly apologize if it happened by accident). I've always been genuine, and I am truly as excited by seeing someone win a $50 card on Ebay as I am when someone wins a $50,000 card. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Obviously, I welcome civil comments about either my position or from someone who supports the opposing view.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2005, 04:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

hal keep the pics coming....glad to see you post them!

Old 12-02-2005, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DSGreen

I really appreciate seeing scans of cards in posts. I particularly like the recent pick-up threads mostly because I nearly always see a card in those threads that I have never seen before (either in a scan or in person).

I also appreciate seeing scans of cards without mention of what people paid for the card, which is the norm on this board and I am thankful for that. I am sure this is why I have continued to lurk on this board for years and recently began posting. Many of these cards that people post I will never own and never see in person, so it is exciting to see and know that others have been able to collect them.

Someone made a statement a while back on these boards that stuck with me - "An investor tells you what it is worth, a collector shows you what he has." When I show cards that I have collected to friends and family that have little understanding of baseball cards, the first question I get is, "What's it worth?" Now I just let them know what it is worth to me.

I say that anyone willing to provide scans of cards should do so.

Forever A Brave Collection

Old 12-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Hal,

Show us your cards anytime you want. You are a strong member of this board and, frankly, for every one person who thinks you are showing off, I bet there are at least 10-15 who are thrilled to see the card and happy that a good man owns that card. Continue to show us your collection. I, for one, truly enjoy it.

Sincerely,

Cy

Old 12-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Hal,

I far prefer that people share their cards. I've been to your website, and it's impressive. But while an alphabetical layout is efficient, it doesn't speak to any theme. Posts here allow duffers like me to link a variety of images directly with issues, topics, questions, commonalities, etc without having to put it together from a variety of sources, sites, etc.

Second, I love seeing the really great cards - great for rarity, condition or both - that people actually own (somehow different than seeing them on auction sites). It's a vicarious thrill, I guess - kind of like watching Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, or some Yacht-of-the-Week show or something like that. lol. Your posts in the HOF thread were breathtaking. I couldn't wait to see which one you were going to be able to put up next, with four cards each.

Finally, kind of a flip side to the second point above, I've learned something important and interesting from people's scans. Like I said, I am definitely a duffer at this. THe different scans show me that lots and lots of serious people here, well known people, will still pick up lower graded cards even in relatively common types. Somehow I had thought that everyone else was only NM and better, and I was the only one thrilled to get a Cobb Bat-off in Grade 2. I'm not sure why that was important to learn, but it was. It somehow makes the hobby seem...more inclusive? Sorry - that's poorly articulated but the best I can do.

Anyway, Hal and everyone - post post post those scans! I don't consider it showing off or arrogant in the least. It's a service to those of us that are not as advanced as many posters here.

My 1/50th of a dollar's worth.

J

Old 12-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Keep doing it the way you are doing it Hal. Like you always say Hal, people should collect what they want to and people should also share how and if they want to. I think the people who think you are being snobbish are just jealous. I don't consider any of your sharing to have been boastful. Heck I would have acted a lot more boastful if I had purchased a Wagner. I am personally thankful for people like you that are willing to share. My 13 year old son and I LOVE looking at your sight. I think you will find a majority of the people want you to share.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

hal,
i thought the "show off" comments were meant as a joke....at least that's the way i took them.
do i wish your cards were in my collcetion....sure. am i envious of your collection...yes.
does that mean i don't want you to show your collection? of course not!
your passion for cards has always been transparent in your posts....a collector in the truest sense.

forget about the people who are jealous.
regards

Old 12-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Thanks, Folks.

Unfortunately Andy, many people have made me aware over time of snide comments that were sent to them in private e-mails from a certain individual about this issue. Thus, I can assure you that any such comments from that same individual are anything but a joke.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

I enjoy seeing everybody's cards, including yours. No problem here. Happy collecting to all.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AParks

Share.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Hal:

I for one, would love to know what some of the secretive collectors have in their private stashes. There are some Old Judges, for instance, that I have never seen and would love to be able to see. Heck - I can't wait to get to Fort Washington to see that Old Judge California League card in person.

Also, having lost a few items at auction that I was very interested in (like a Cameo Pepsin Gum pin of Nig Cuppy, for example), I'd also love to know who now owns the item I wanted. (And if I can find out where they live.....)

Keep showing your stuff, Hal. It makes some of us feel angry and jealous and others of us feel small and insignificant, but the cards are sure beautiful.

Off to my therapist now.......

Kevin

Old 12-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

"Isn't there something just a little off about someone who collects SOLELY for himself and just wants to be the king of his own little world?"

Not at all, in my opinion. For some people collecting is obviously a very public endeavor, for others it is private, but that doesn't mean there is anything "off" about private people. Sorry if I disrupted the love-in.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Administrator

okay, hal. i wouldn't think anyone would be that rude. i guess i'm wrong.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

Hal--

I support your position 100% and concur with others that any criticism of your posts is likely engendered by envy. Mark

Old 12-02-2005, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...is that you do not make posts which are designed to put other people down. You share your collecting experiences without trying to exclude others, based on wealth, condition or collection size. You would never start a thread like "Name The Five Richest Collectors Of Vintage Cards," and then show yourself somewhere on that list or use it as a forum to constantly discuss your Honus Wagner card. Those are the kinds of threads that rub some people, myself included, the wrong way.

I like being in awe of people's collections. But I do not like when people tell me that I should be in awe of their own collection. I do not think I've ever seen you cross that line.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Good point Peter. I don't think there is anything wrong with the person who gets satisfaction out of hoarding his own stash and not sharing. I just wish they wouldn't.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Thank you.

There are a TON of collectors wealthier than I am (Charlie Sheen, Tom Candiotti and Keith Olbermann for sure!)... and I agree 100% that money should never be brought up on this site.

Believe me, I am FULLY AWARE that if all the "private" collectors posted their cards...

that my collection would be DWARFED by them!!!

BUT I DON'T CARE!

This is not about ego... it is about having FUN in a hobby that we all love!!

I just want to see all of the cards that I can, regardless of who owns them or how much better they might be than mine!!!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian E.

Hal, please continue to share. I do agree with you that cards are like art. However, unlike the paintings I proudly display and my house guests enjoy...I can't do that with cards. Generally, "normal" people don't appreciate the card collection and I hate being asked the question of "how much is that card?"

I suppose the only people I share my collection with are people on this board. If I couldn't share my collection, I'd probably sell it off.

Hal, for the most part, it appears you avoid the confrontational threads on this board. I have also attempted to the do the same.

Brian E.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I love seeing other's cards - and it frustrates me that there are so many advanced collectors out there who not only do not share images of their collections - but will not share knowledge in terms of updating checklists, etc.

I'm happy with whatever you want to share. If some here do not like it, so what? There are thousands of posts on Net 54 -- it is easy to ignore yours if someone does not like them.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Show what you want. Who cares what others think? Most of the issues simply center around jealousy. That's why God is so hard on the issue of "covetousness". It's an ugly thing. I for one, enjoy seeing many cards I might never otherwise see. And whether your motivation is boasting or sharing is really irrelevant to the equation.

As far as mentioning money -- again, so what? I like to know what the market currently is and love to hear stories about what cards used to cost. And if you have a six-figure budget for cards -- good for you. Without wealthy people, the economy of this country would stink. I still don't like attorneys, though . . .

The devil was behind on collecting souls, so he came down to earth and approached a lawyer. The devil said, "I have an offer for you. I will make you the most succesful attorney to ever walk the face of the earth. You will have worldwide fame and notoriety. In fact, you will be one of the wealthiest people ever in history." "HOWEVER", the devil said, "In return, I will ask of you your soul". The lawyer stopped and thought about it for a minute. Finally, he looked up at the devil and stared him directly in the eyes. He asked him, "What's the catch?"

(edited for typo)

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Its all good Hal, I enjoy viewing all members' cards. Keep posting.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Hal--Keep it up buddy. I enjoy your posts and your sense of humor. You are one of the reasons I check the board multiple times a day.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

Hal, I would be disappointed if you didn't show your cards. Please continue to do so. I'd much rather look at your latest E107 aquisition than some bickering fight about PSA/SGC/GAI any day.

Your site by the way is awesome!

Bill

Old 12-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam Smith

Why would anyone complain about someone sharing? People do it all the time in the monthly new acquistions threads. Keep sharing those scans Hal.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I really did mean it as a joke. If you took my comments other than that I apologize. I love your collection and want to see as much of it as I can. Just in case you are speaking of me I didn't mean anything by my comment.

My website: http://photobucket.com/albums/b45/trib01/
I am always looking for Walter Johnson cards. Buying or trading for T206 Johnson and Mathewson portraits.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ChuckkieB

Hal,

I consider it a pivilege every time you or anyone else for that matter displays their great cards in this forum. Thank you for sharing and keep it up!

CB

Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hey Hal,
I love your collection and like seeing it. I personally have no issue with you showing scans of your cards. I enjoy them....However, regardless of all of the lovey, lovey, kissy, kissy going on here you will make some folks feel inferior. If anyone disagrees I would politely disagree with them. It's not even a debate in my mind. I am not saying you mean to do this but it is what it is. Some people will always think that you are bragging or showing a bit of wealth etc....We need to remember that this board is a microcosim of society and if I think something is black someone else will think it's white. I get bashed for doing nothing or doing something....it doesn't matter, sometimes. I just took my first negative on ebay (in over 690 transactions) for not banning someone from this board. It comes with the territory. Some criticism is going to happen no matter what.....I do appreciate you helping me on unrelated matters a few times and I do think you are a good guy. Just understand your position (which you do) and go with the flow sir. A lot of times I think of the question, " Is the board better or worse with so and so on it?". The board is better with you on it. You are a passionate collector that just happens to have resources beyond most. No big deal....take care....moderator dude....

Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I appreciate people who share their cards with the rest of us who may have no chance at actually seeing them in person and i know Hals a good enough man that if i visited my family who lives very close to him he would show me the cards in person with minimal security present

His website is awesome to look at,like a virtual card hall of fame so i would never want him to stop sharing scans,especially how Hal goes about "business" on the board.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Administrator

John is right, anyone is welcome to view the cards.

Bryan Long: NO SIR, I knew for sure you were joking! Definitely not talking about you!

Leon: I have no doubt that some people feel inferior, but as collectors, they have certainly learned how to deal with it by now. In fact, that is what DRIVES all of us as collectors!!

If one card was not "better or worse" than another... would ANYONE collect them at all??

All ACORNS are pretty much the same...

and that's why there is no website for Acorn Collectors.

There aren't any Acorn collectors... because it is BORING to be able to walk out into your front yard and pick up the first acorn you see and instantly be tied for first place in the "World's Best Acorn" contest!

Old 12-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

Iam glad that you share your collection -Hal. Mine maybe not as expensive as yours as some others, but Iam at a very happy medium where Iam at with them.

Being a collector , I wouldnt trade certain cards of mine worth 10k that one would have valued at 40k. Unless someone needs the money, they should be proud of their little treas-
ures no matter what the value..as you sorta stated in other words.

I collect certain players for colors reasons mostly....such as t-205's ,most of the Cardinals are gorgeous,Doc White &
Knight are exceptional, colorful and have a great vintage look, t206's the PORTRAITS ,mine are very big bordered &
nicely centered.I have 2 high grade blistering color & gold of 6 of my favorite t-205 commons, does anyone else collect like that ???

VIctorys ,B.Garters ,Mello Mints will all be shown w/ some of the others mentioned at some point. Iam a fast typer , but do not have a scanner and wouldnt have a clue to how to post them here. So-some day.

There was a big money guy selling some cards that I wouldnt have in my collection and was surprised that he had them, but to each there own. I have to like the WHOLE overall size and color per card and this to me shows what type of collector that some REALLY are.

Thanks
Good day to all !

Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

my position should be obvious from my post on another thread, but if its not, keep posting the pics.

Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

NEWS FLASH--Starting immediately PSA will begin slabbing acorns. From now on they will be denoted as Acorns, Bcorns and Ccorns. Registry set to follow.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hal- You are a friend and a credit to the board both in the knowledge you share with everyone as well as the pictures of your wonderful cards. You are bright and have a great sense of humor, something that I appreciate greatly. You have gone out of your way to do generous things for me and have always been a gentleman. I do recognize that some who can not afford all these rare cards may feel you are boasting a bit, but that is America. I will also add that I sometimes feel that if you get on network54 and say "good morning" the wrong way, a war of words will likely break out. It seems like anything around here can get people agitated.
That said keep posting, the hell with those who oppose.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Administrator

hal,
now you have crossed the line . my daughter collects acorns....she's 3.....but she does collect acorns.
i would post scans of her collection, but i would be showing off.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andrew parks

Hal,

I live near Orlando. If I'm near Tallahassee and have some time -- I'd love to see your cards!

Old 12-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Hey, my 3 year old collects acorns as well. dont you hate it when the worms/bugs crawl out of them.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Administrator

yes, josh i do. i also am not too crazy about finding them months after she's stashed them.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Hal, you are not allowed to post any scans of your collection unless you donate a card of my choice to my collection.

Hey, fair is fair

Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

andy - lol

anson - I just changed my position on Hal posting - I want a card too. Im not even going to be greedy - Hal, just send me the T227 Cobb and we can call it a day.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

Some of us don't read so good, I lik pixtuers. Thanck U.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Administrator

I don't really own a T227 Cobb... I just used the scan from your "icon image" and made my own photoshop version!

Old 12-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

Hal,

I've been a collector for over 45 years and thru this forum and everyone's sharing, I've seen cards I've only read about or never even knew about. Please keep sharing with us.

Jack

Old 12-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Hal-don't sweat it! Rocky ( Tom's attorney and Bond's pal as well) do not have stuff you do! And Scott Paris (previous heavyweight arm wrestling champion of the World and Saint Mary's school mate of both Tom Candiotti and Rocky(Balco atty),don't have the cards you do! They do however..............all Golf with really low handicaps. How's your game? And again,please post the Crawford E-102. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Administrator

I really do get pleasure from the avid collectors on this site getting to see certain cards.

However... I get FAR MORE excited when my son's 12-year-old baseball team gathers around the computer during a road trip and I get to tell all of them about these legendary players!

THAT'S why I have the web site, and THAT'S why I like to share.

Hopefully my doing so will eventually lead to other collectors doing the same.

I can only DREAM of finally seeing some of the great cards that are "SQUIRRELED" away somewhere.

(HOW'S THAT FOR AN "ACORN" SEGWAY"!!!!!)

Old 12-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Post away Hal. Someone has to conterbalance the scans of all the crappy commons I post.

I buried my childhood card and acorn collection in the back yard. Now I can't get to the cards because this damn oak tree sprouted over the cards.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren Duet

Thank you Hal for sharing images of your cards with us, and please keep them coming.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

I don't post here much, primarily due to my interests currently being '60s and '70s cards. I do enjoy reading this forum because of the scans and knowledge of posters like Hal.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred (Fred)

Hal,

I can't stand it when people show thier stuff off. It gets very annoying. It's really tiresome to see the same old crud over and over again...

By the way, can I see the Reccius Wagner again along with any N167s you might happen to have stashed away...

Actually, I save the images of many of those nice cards. If it weren't for the Hals and JCs and others that keep their images open and available to us this hobby would be kind of like a guessing game of what a difficult card might really look like.

Thanks to all that share thier images and information with the rest of us.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

That would be "segue" unless they spell it differently in Dixieland. EDITED TO ADD SMILEY

Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

where is old Sam?