NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Chris Counts

Default Where is all the original baseball card artwork?

At a recent card show, I came across what appeared to the original artwork of a couple National Chicle football cards from 1935. It occurred to me that I've never seen a single piece of original hand-painted baseball card artwork, which is pretty remarkable considering how much time I've spent looking at cards over the past 40 years. So my question is: where is it? Certainly there must be hundreds, if not thousands of pieces in existence, especially when you consider the sheer volume of cards ... from T206s to 1950-52 Bowmans ... that were produced. Someone could put together a fascinating exhibit. Also, does anybody have any resources for learning about the individual artists who created these sets. Some of these guys, particularly those who created T3s, T206s, Obaks and the 1950-52 Bowmans, are certainly worthy of recognition ...
Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

There is a decent amount of Topps and Bowman original artwork around; I seem to recall over 100 1953 Topps paintings were auctioned fairly recently and Topps Vault has sold a ton of stuff over the years. I have also seen some 51/52 Bowman artwork from time to time. I would guess a lot of between the wars stuff is gone-I recall reading Goudey destroyed much of theirs and in pre-war I can't believe much American Litho or Caramel stuff has ever been out there.

Last edited by toppcat; 07-28-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM

There is minimal original art for Pre-War baseball cards. Original paintings for Diamond Stars and National Chicle football exist, photos for Exhibit Supply cards and a few other isolated cards and minor issues. You'll see the Diamond Stars and Chicle paintings for sale/auction every once in a while, and several Diamond Star paintings are pictured in the Halper catalog.

If you include proofs, which are production items from the making/designing of the cards, you can find Pre-War material, including from Old Judge, T206s and T3s.

Also rare but available are the original full color paintings for other pre-war items like magazine covers and calendars. Collecting original magazine cover paintings and art from all areas and subjects would be an interesting area of collecting, as you can get cover art for everything from Sports Illustrated to Vogue.

Last edited by drc; 07-28-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Default Lates 1930's photos

Most of the Playball's and other late 1930's issues are from original photos take by George C. Burke. At one time I had a few hundred them. These can still be found with his stamp and numbering on the back.

Scott
Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Max Weder

Here's a vintage pulp cover painting (I believe) of Bob Meusel in a Reds unifrom (the only year he played for them)

Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 AM

Default 53 topps

These were auctioned by Hunt's in Aug 2005 (not mine)

Last edited by rnisly; 07-29-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:01 AM

Also among the Topps 1953 artwork auctioned were the Mantle and Mays pictures that were purchased by Marriott Corp (I believe). They in turn, created 2000 numbered prints signed by Mantle and Mays which were sold to the public.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

A couple of years back there was an auction of original art for 1920-30s Vogue magazine covers, by well known artists. Some were normal paintings, but one was a collage of title. I didn't find the design particularly attractive, but the material was definitely interesting and physical.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM

One last point, original paintings for magazine covers, etc are usually simple to authenticate. The magazines or cards images are direct reprints of the paintings and you can simply see if graphics they match up. In cases a brush stroke in the card will match the stroke in the card. And if someone tried to paint a copy of a Sports Illustrated painting, it will be noticeable different. Modern card artists like Dick Perez specializes in watercolors and there's no way you do the exact same watercolor twice as the watery paint has a mind of its own.

Looking at all the unique details below, you can see how a collector can personally verify a painting as being the original art for the below card. There's no way the minute details could be duplicated in a second painting, even if made the same artist. The only other thing the collector would have to be sure of is the item is a painting, not a digital copy or Xerox (hint, any print reprint would have the tell tale color dot pattern). In the case of an acrylic or oil painting, the collector could see and feel the raised texture of the brush strokes. Watercolors don't have raised brush strokes, but magnification show the waterlike brush strokes and uneven application of paint-- easily distinguished from the color dot pattern of a reprint. Much of the original art for 1950s-60s Topps and Bowman baseball and football cards were flexichromes, which were hand colored plastic film (very bright and gaudy colors typically). A verification key is flexichromes and the flexichrome process were commercially discontinued in the 1960s. A flexichrome itself is a bygone relic of the vintage Bowman and Topps era.

Last edited by drc; 07-29-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Chris Counts

Thanks for the replies. I find it amazing that there aren't any examples of tobacco card original art out there somewhere, especially with all the T205s and T206s that were created ...
Old 07-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Jon Canfield

Didn't someone on the board possibly find an Allen and Ginter original piece a month or so back? I recall it was a painting that may have been used on the round album.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Adam M.

Hey Chris --

Saw one table at the National this afternoon that had 5 or so pieces of original baseball card artwork. I think they were all Bowmans (though I freely admit I am not good with anything non-T206).

Hope all is well,
Adam

Last edited by Adam; 07-30-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

I'd love to have one of the original 50's paintings. Doesn't matter if it's Topps or Bowman, it would just be great to have one.