NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default population and value bump of auto pre war cards

Posted By: nbrazil

Anyone have a decent idea of the following

-Population of pre war cards that are autographed? A lot of these guys are dead, so would be interesting to see...especially the T206s...how many autos exist.

-Any idea on the premium (if any) on autographed pre war cards? I have a good sense of auto post war cards...but, given the lack of availability (which may be answering my question #1) of these cards on ebay, i can't get a good gauge on the premium.

thanks in advance

Old 05-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The pool of prewar cards signed is definitely limited. Among the HOFers DiMaggio, Appling, Gehringer, Herman, Hubbell and Terry are all pretty readily acquired on prewar cards, as all were active signers late into long lives that carried into the autograph era. Feller is darn near worthless; I think he's gonna be buried with his hand clutching a pen above the ground. Others are quite hard to find. REA had a lot of 4 exhibits signed by Young, Speaker, Cobb and Alexander that sold for an (appropriately) sky high price.

The premiums vary. In 2004 in Cleveland I paid $90 for a 1941 Goudey signed by Hubbell. I collected vintage cards signed by Appling, Feller, Gehringer and Herman "live" for the cost of the cards and the autograph fees. A Lefty Grove (d. 1975) autographed HOF plaque cost me nearly $300. I bid well into the hundreds but did not win a Lefty O'Doul (d. 1969) auto'd card.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Autographed Goudeys and Play Balls are not rare. Autographed T206s and similar E cards are rare. The rarity and value of the player's signature in general effects value, with most T206 players being in genral limited. Greenberg and Wait Hoyt are amongst a few HOFers that are rather plentiful on Pre-War card. T206s signed by Cobb, Frank Chance and Eddie Cicotte exist but are rare. Condition of signature and overall presentation of card effects price. Most Pre-War signed cards are in lower grade ... There is a strong and increasing market for signed Pre-War cards.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

i am assuming there is a negative correlation between amount signed and year. ive seen a fair amount of goudey signatures (i have a few myself)...and quite a few 1920's exhibits...but hardly see anything else. those t206's that were posted in the thread of auto pre war cards were a sight for sore eyes...i have seen only one auto t206 in my short time in pre war collecting.

what about auto caramel cards?

Old 05-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Marquard was a pretty prolific card signer and generally his T206 is one of the few you see (legitimate ones that is). I had my heart broken on a PSA cert M116 Joe Wood which was signed, but that's the only M116 auto. I have seen.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Most of the cards were signed after the players retired. As one would expect, Goudey players lived much later than T206 players and, thus, there are more signed Goudeys than T206s.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Surely there is a positive correlation between the number of cards signed and the year.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

glenn, you're right. my mistake.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...because I have four autographed Marquard T206 cards and one T206 Snograss With Bat autographed card. This week I traded for the Paddy Livingston T206 card with autograph and have sent it in to JSA/SGC for grading/authentication.

It is a special event to own an autographed T206 card. I really love mine. And, I hope you will indulge me if I post two of them here...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 05-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Out of curiousity, how much did those t206 cost you?

James

Old 05-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I picked up the Snodgrass a few weeks ago for a little of $200 on ebay. The Marquard was somewhere in the $150 range a few years back.